daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #22021
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Judging from your experience, how busy should the drive from Ingolstadt towards Bolzano be on 29.09 (a Sunday)? It's my first drive south of Innsbruck. A99, A8 is often packed, but there should be no trucks on Sunday, and also I think vacations are all over, so not much camper traffic left. Also what about the Brenner, is it worth it to pay the toll online in advance?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #22022
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The skeletal remains of six people have been
discovered inside two cars that were found at the
bottom of a lake in Oklahoma.
Police believe one car has been underwater since
the 1960s, while the other was carrying three
teenagers who went missing in 1970.

Sky News
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #22023
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Judging from your experience, how busy should the drive from Ingolstadt towards Bolzano be on 29.09 (a Sunday)? It's my first drive south of Innsbruck. A99, A8 is often packed, but there should be no trucks on Sunday, and also I think vacations are all over, so not much camper traffic left. Also what about the Brenner, is it worth it to pay the toll online in advance?
Not very busy, and it's not a big deal to pay the 8€ at the booths as you get there. I went through twice last week on working days and all was free flow.
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #22024
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

Sky News
It seems a classical Sicilian mafia story... people buried everywhere, below building foundations, in concrete blocks thrown in the sea, below asphalt, dissolved in the acid,...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #22025
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Quote:

Sky News
The car's hood looks (to me) like a fish opening it's mouth .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #22026
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum Lumi View Post
I know you're trying to be humorous, but you've just made my point: if you can get others - including recognized states - to recognize your apartment as an independent state, then it's an independent state. It's not like places like San Marino or even the Vatican are much larger than some rich guy's bachelor pad. The point is the right to free speech, not that your apartment automatically qualifies.
Nobody is denying their right of free speech. We're denying their right to secede. I didn't make your point.

San Marino and Vatican are centuries old, when rules about sovereignity were foggy. They're an anachronism, nothing of the sort could become independent today.

Last edited by g.spinoza; September 18th, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #22027
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Judging from your experience, how busy should the drive from Ingolstadt towards Bolzano be on 29.09 (a Sunday)? It's my first drive south of Innsbruck.
I recommend you exit the motorway at Innsbruck south and take the Bundesstrasse instead. 8€ for 30 km of motorway is nonsense. The Bundesstrasse is generally good, except for a small section below Europabrücke which is a bit curvy.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #22028
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Nobody is denying their right of free speech. We're denying their right to secede. I didn't make your point.

San Marino and Vatican are centuries old, when rules about sovereignity were foggy. They're an anachronism, nothing of the sort could become independent today.
San Marino is really very old, but the Vatican City State was founded by Benedict XV and Mussolini in 1929 which was not so long time ago.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #22029
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
San Marino is really very old, but the Vatican City State was founded by Benedict XV and Mussolini in 1929 which was not so long time ago.
Vatican City is the legal descendant of "Stato della Chiesa", which is much older.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #22030
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Vatican City is the legal descendant of "Stato della Chiesa", which is much older.
It was not only older but much bigger, too. I think if now the pope called for, let's say full Rome, you wouldn't say it's OK for the Papal State is very old ;-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #22031
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
It was not only older but much bigger, too. I think if now the pope called for, let's say full Rome, you wouldn't say it's OK for the Papal State is very old ;-)
Of course not. I just said that microstates exist only because they're old, or for some extraordinary circumstances (Vatican). My apartment, or Trieste, are neither.
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #22032
Road_UK
BANNED

Edit edit oh my god edit

Sorry, wrong thread. I'll move this to Austria.
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #22033
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:

Sky News
Um, eww?

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It seems a classical Sicilian mafia story... people buried everywhere, below building foundations, in concrete blocks thrown in the sea, below asphalt, dissolved in the acid,...
Ever heard of Jimmy Hoffa? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hoffa
It's not mentioned in this article (unless I read it to fast) but a favorite theory in New Jersey is that he's buried under (the former) Giants Stadium.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #22034
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

http://goo.gl/maps/6qt8H
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #22035
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Nice attraction!
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #22036
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9157

Anyway, too unrealistic... If the car had really smashed through concrete walls, it's front wouldn't look so intact with all headlights, bumpers, grids etc.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:31 AM   #22037
Road_UK
BANNED

Old September 21st, 2013, 12:04 PM   #22038
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Those Italian areas do not want independence. They want to ripoff the rest of the Italian Republic, keeping most revenue there, whereas not taking responsibility for an equal share of spending on public services there, meager contributions to national expenses (including the large debt service accrued over decades to the benefit of the whole country).

This is what the coward governments let Trentino and the islands get away with, in different ways and arrangements. It is grossly unfair. There might or might not be a case for devolution of public service to regions (I'm against it), but then devolution should involve revenues and expenses. And everybody should contribute to fund national stuff and everybody ought to pay for deficits. What shouldn't happen is a region keep almost 90% of tax revenue under its administration while not assuming management and financial responsibility for 90% of basic public services (which is the Trentino ripoff I mentioned). The more radical elements of Trentino must also get over their butt-hurt grievances from World War 1.

Anyway, economic stagnation and a leftover of venomous politics of the 1980s has produced these strange breeds of ultra localists that think their tiny little regions/valleys could be the nicest and most developed places on Earth if only the rest of the country stopping "dragging them down" and if only everybody started living as if the geo-economic paradigm was that of 1870, maybe speaking some useless dialect and eating only local food (never mind some seasonal starvation...).

I really hate the political platform of these hyperlocal folks who forget the competition for a place is this World is not -south-alpine-valley A vs. big floodplain B, but one against China, India, USA etc.
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:19 PM   #22039
Road_UK
BANNED

Thank you.
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:31 PM   #22040
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Right. No part of the world can now live without strong bounds with the rest of the world. For this reason we have developed airlines, road and rail networks, internet connections and people learn English worldwide. The economy of any place depends also from the economy of other places.
However the globalization shouldn't erase traditional characters of the different cultures and communities, they should be integrated with the rest of the world but not get rid of their distinctive traits. If 28 countries are in EU, it doesn't mean that 300 millions of people should behave and think all the same.
One of the problems of many government is to conciliate local interest with general interests. A new highway, railway, airport, power plant, industrial plant,... may be useful from a country-wide or region-wide point of view but it may be opposed by people living nearby. Vice-versa, a project may be useful for a local community but the central government opposes it because anti-economical and useless country-wide.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways