daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #22061
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Cappella degli Scrovegni with Giotto's frescos?
Santa Giustina Basilica in Prato della Valle?
Sant'Antonio Basilica with Donatello statues?
Caffè Pedrocchi?

I never been there myself, just passing by once by train. Just to say that it shouldn't be so ugly...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #22062
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Caffè Pedrocchi?

I never been there myself, just passing by once by train. Just to say that it shouldn't be so ugly...
i thought so that it shouldn't, too. but...
Caffe Pedrocchi has famous story. i saw it from outside, it is at the beginning of main walking street where almost all stores are closed, and buildings are full of grafitti.
Basilica di Sant'Antonio is also very dissapointing. e.g. San Francesco in Assisi is way more interesting. Antonio is just typical christian kitsch.
Prato della Valle would be nice without 3 things: 1. dogs' shit 2. horrible mixture of architecture 3. Africans smoking weed on open air with no fear of police
really, among large Italian cities, Padova is at the bottom.

g.spinoza, italystf liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #22063
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i was in for the first time in my life this year and i was deeply dissappointed. i didn't know it was so ugly city. i expected explosion of culture (especially religious), and i found there nothing.
Quote:
Sant'Antonio Basilica with Donatello statues?
Caffè Pedrocchi?

Quote:
i thought so that it shouldn't, too. but...
Caffe Pedrocchi has famous story. i saw it from outside, it is at the beginning of main walking street where almost all stores are closed, and buildings are full of grafitti.
Basilica di Sant'Antonio is also very dissapointing. e.g. San Francesco in Assisi is way more interesting. Antonio is just typical christian kitsch.
Prato della Valle would be nice without 3 things: 1. dogs' shit 2. horrible mixture of architecture 3. Africans smoking weed on open air with no fear of police
really, among large Italian cities, Padova is at the bottom.
I agree. Padua is one of the worst Italian city in term of crime and urban decay (probably the worst north of Rome). It's one of the biggest "drug market" in Europe. Many people who live there say that it's dangerous to wander alone at night, except in some central areas.
Many Italian cities have ZTL (limited traffic zone) in their historical centres. In Padua, apart it, many suburban roads are closed to traffic from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. (apart residents and autorized). The reason: those suburbs, inhabitated mostly by illegal immigrants, are a hub for drug traffiking and the administration try to reduce this problem.
Padua is a very important university city, and this help the decay because it means a huge affluent of young people from the whole Italy, that causes troubles and demand for drugs.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #22064
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I didn't know that. But I don't see how being a university city helps the decay. I lived for 12 years in Bologna, where a quarter of its 400 thousand inhabitants are students: I never saw a more lively city. Sure, there's drugs, but I never felt unsafe walking in the city, even very late at night.
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #22065
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
I lived for 12 years in Bologna, where a quarter of its 400 thousand inhabitants are students: I never saw a more lively city. Sure, there's drugs, but I never felt unsafe walking in the city, even very late at night.
I walked in Bologna on this route to my hotel at about 10-11 p.m. and didn't feel too comfortable doing it.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #22066
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I walked in Bologna on this route to my hotel at about 10-11 p.m. and didn't feel too comfortable doing it.
It's more a car route than a walk route, it's like walking on an expressway

I lived for a year in via Gandusio, just near the A of your route, and it was ok. Near B there has been lots of works with skyscrapers and such.

I never had such bad feelings passing there. But of course South Bologna is nicer than North one. And of course there are zones not particularly attractive, like Pilastro and maybe Bolognina...
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #22067
x-type
con los terroristas

btw i'm going to Milano next week. somehow i have never been in the core of Lombardia, always took A21
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #22068
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
btw i'm going to Milano next week. somehow i have never been in the core of Lombardia, always took A21
Are you going by car? I drove only once inside Milano, I was about to abandon the car and run away screaming
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #22069
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

Are you going by car? I drove only once inside Milano, I was about to abandon the car and run away screaming
First time I drove in Milan I was like that. But having done Napels a few times since, driving in Milan and even Rome is comparable with church traffic...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #22070
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I lived in Naples for a while but had no car back then. Worst driving experiences of my life are Palermo and Granada...
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #22071
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
It's more a car route than a walk route, it's like walking on an expressway

I lived for a year in via Gandusio, just near the A of your route, and it was ok. Near B there has been lots of works with skyscrapers and such.

I never had such bad feelings passing there. But of course South Bologna is nicer than North one. And of course there are zones not particularly attractive, like Pilastro and maybe Bolognina...
We choosed to walk because we knew about ZTL area in Bologna and didn't want to risk a fine for entering it. It wasn't a very pleasant walk back to the hotel because in that area there are a lot of immigrants just staying and chatting by the side of the road... and they don't look very trustful. I always had the sense that someone is chasing us. More, near the hotel I noticed that is an area where hookers like to stay. I saw them every evening during my 3-nights stay there.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #22072
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
i drove suburbs of Napoli, and crazy road Castellammare di Stabia - Sorrento so I'm not that affraid.
btw, I'm actually going to Biella, but I think i will try to catch few hours in Milano.

g.spinoza liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #22073
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
We choosed to walk because we knew about ZTL area in Bologna and didn't want to risk a fine for entering it. It wasn't a very pleasant walk back to the hotel because in that area there are a lot of immigrants just staying and chatting by the side of the road... and they don't look very trustful. I always had the sense that someone is chasing us. More, near the hotel I noticed that is an area where hookers like to stay. I saw them every evening during my 3-nights stay there.
Yes, via Stalingrado is famous for hookers. But you can find them also in the viali (I remember one elderly hooker every night in viale Carlo Berti Pichat... )

ZTL in Bologna is only in the historical centre, and not all of it. Via Indipendenza (from via Righi to the city centre), via Ugo Bassi and via Rizzoli are off limits, and the most central part of via Zamboni, too. Sometimes they shut via Marconi, but it's usually well signed.
Rest is drivable

EDIT: Apparently, it's not like that anymore
http://www.comune.bologna.it/media/f...l_20122013.pdf
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #22074
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I used to see them by the dozens entering Rome via the Via Salaria...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #22075
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Turin is also not trivial to drive in. They have this long boulevards and accessory roads on their side (called counter-boulevards, "controviali"), and driving on them is tricky. For instance, on the boulevard you can just go straight; if you want to turn left or right, you have to go before on the counter-boulevard. So basically you are in the boulevard, you go right into the counter-boulevard and then you can turn left, crossing the boulevard at the intersection.

I was scared as hell last week, but I guess I will get used to it.
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #22076
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I've been 4 times in Padova. I like the great churches, Il Santo, Santa Giustina, Duomo with Battistero. The rest of the city did not impressed me at all...

In October I'll visit Milano (3rd visit), Bergamo (4th visit), Brescia and Bologna (1st visit in my life for both). I'll fly (from Frankfurt Hahn to Bergamo 17€, from Bologna to Hahn 20€), and travel by train between these towns. I want to ride Italo trains :-)

Last edited by Attus; September 24th, 2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #22077
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Sándor Tarics, born 23 Sep 1913 was olympic champion in water polo, 1936.

He's currently the oldest olympic champion in live.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #22078
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
In October I'll visit Milano (3rd visit), Bergamo (4th visit), Brescia at Bologna (1st visit in my life for both).
Feel free to ask, I will still be in Brescia in October.
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #22079
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Sándor Tarics, born 23 Sep 1913 was olympic champion in water polo, 1936.

He's currently the oldest olympic champion in live.
Well, doping wasn't invented yet.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #22080
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

I gues not, another world. Immagine Bud spencer once said that back in the ´50s waterpolo and other competitions were very tough as today but dopping....well nothing like that were existing and after 60 something years he could remember some hungarian waterpolo players by name!!
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways