daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #22181
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
[Reply to Fatfield]

Well, it is ridiculous that La Coruña should be an hour ahead of Folkestone....

One almost suspects the EU of trying to get everyone onto Brussels time. (You lot are next.)
There's already been debates in Parliament about scrapping BST. Nothing has come of it though.

As for the EU, we shall fight them on the beaches............
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #22182
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
This thread is more or less a chat box...
"More or less"? No, explicitly: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...19&postcount=1

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #22183
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Actually, they've got strong relationships, and in some towns they've got the border running right through streets and houses.
Please. If Indiana or Tennessee can cope with two time zones, why can't two countries with a mountain range between them? Maybe Brussels should see what it can do about the behavior of the sun, while it's at it. It should rise and set at the same time from Bialystok to Badajoz. (And then they can decimalize our hours, days, years.... )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #22184
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

New York State Texting Zone Field Report:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...19&postcount=1

----------

Unrelated: Google knows where I am - it's feeding me ads in French (alternately with English).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #22185
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Well, most of the posts were mine. And Penn's woods started.
I fail to see how one can go off topic in an off topic thread...
Wait, my stupid joke about glaciers in Turin needed to be erased???

Whatever....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #22186
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

i have a question for Italians here: i have free afternoon tomorrow, so I will visit the centre of Milano. is it better to leave the car in suburbia and take the metro, or i should enter to the city with my car? any solutions for secure and if possible free parkings in metro zone? metro works normally at sunday?
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #22187
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i have a question for Italians here: i have free afternoon tomorrow, so I will visit the centre of Milano. is it better to leave the car in suburbia and take the metro, or i should enter to the city with my car? any solutions for secure and if possible free parkings in metro zone? metro works normally at sunday?
Subway works on Sunday.

There are several "park and ride" facilities around MEtro stations (http://www.atm-mi.it/IT/VIAGGIACONNO...Struttura.aspx), they care called "parcheggio di interscambio".

Some of the best positioned if you don't want to do city driving are on Cascina Gobba (A51), Rogoredo (A1 terminus) or Bisceglie (not far from A50).

You can drive to central areas, the Area C hideous congestion charge is not applicable on weekends.
Old September 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #22188
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
If you come from the East, I *strongly* recommend you leave your car at Cascina Gobba huge parking (there's a dedicated exit in the East Tangenziale). Fee is small, there's a subway entrance directly inside the parking, and you still have to pay normal urban fare (Cascina Gobba is the last "urban" subway station, those further out are extraurban and you would have to pay more).
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #22189
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

thx spinoza, that sounds very good.
A1 and A51 are not the options because i don't want to go far from A4 since I must proceed to Novara in the evening.
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #22190
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Well, Cascina Gobba IS on A51, but it's not far from A4. When you resume your course, you can go back to the A4 by using A52, it's even closer.
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #22191
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Couple of days ago Swaziland got Google Street View...
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #22192
bogdymol
bogdymod

Just a bridge in Russia: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=339_1380358245
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Vignole, Zagor666 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #22193
piotr71

Not long time ago I helped a minicab driver to change a wheel. He was about 50 year old Englishman and called himself an experienced driver. Some other chaps tried to give him hands, however they could not cope with this simple, straightforward operation. Then I came and surprisingly had been interviewed in the matter of my competence by the driver. He actually asked me whether I am a mechanic or not. The question kind of stroke me I carried the job anyway, finished after 5 minutes and finally heard some words of appreciation.

Since then I have began to pay a certain attention to all those cars hanging on hard shoulder in Britain and noticed that most of their faults are only punctured tyres. Some other facts let me presume that the drivers are not capable of replacing wheels. Thus, a question will be asked: do you know, guys how to change the wheel?

Last edited by piotr71; September 29th, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #22194
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Not long time ago I helped a minicab driver to change a wheel. He was about 50 year old Englishman and called himself an experienced driver. Some other chaps tried to give him hands, however they could not cope with this simple, straightforward operation. Then I came and surprisingly had been interviewed in the matter of my competence by the driver. He actually asked me whether I am a mechanic or not. The question kind of stroke me I carried the job anyway, finished after 5 minutes and finally heard some words of appreciation.

Since then I have began to pay a certain attention to all those cars hanging on hard shoulder in Britain and noticed that most of their faults are only punctured tyres. Some other facts let me presume that the drivers are not capable of replacing wheels. Thus, a question will be asked: do you know how to change the wheel?
I do, but it's not one of the main reasons they leave vehicles on the hard shoulder in Britain, because people can always call the AA or RAC out. Usually they're either stolen vehicles, or an insurance scam, which means they report them stolen. Sometimes they even set them on fire. It's a British way of life in a sense...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #22195
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Thus, a question will be asked: do you know how to change the wheel?
I had my drivers license for a few years, but never had to change the wheel. Last year, after I got my job, on one of the first days of my new job I found out that I have a flat tire at my car after arriving at work. I had to change it by myself. It didn't take me 5 minute since it was the first time I did that, but in about 15-20 minutes the problem was solved.

This brand-new tire wasn't taken out from the car's spare wheel place since the car was built:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

hofburg, piotr71 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #22196
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

for those who still don't know how to change a wheel, here is good tutorial from slovenian
pop singer

I think on motorway shoulder replacing the left wheels is impossible.

piotr71 liked this post
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #22197
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Thus, a question will be asked: do you know, guys how to change the wheel?
Never done that myself. But I am an instruction book geek: every now and then I read how to change a tire. And feel educated. And know absolutely that I will not be able to do change a tire in real life.
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #22198
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I swapped my winter tyres on my own, last time (tyres already on rims). Nothing difficult, but too much effort for the 20€ I spared...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #22199
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

We have to change wheels every winter season, so yes I know how to change a wheel.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #22200
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Never done that myself. But I am an instruction book geek: every now and then I read how to change a tire. And feel educated. And know absolutely that I will not be able to do change a tire in real life.
Changing a tyre is much more complex job comparing to changing a wheel. I have never done it myself either and wouldn't even think about doing it. I always have it done by a tyre-man.

Tags
highways, motorways