daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #22401
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Meanwhile in Cittadella, Veneto, Italy - "Jesus is my airbag"

fotos hochladen
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #22402
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
(Isn't it very painful to native English speakers to read lots of posts having several grammatical mistakes?)
Native speakers make mistakes too, you know. Not the same ones, necessarily.... (A native speaker knows instinctively when to say "went" and when to say "have gone"... but even Continentals whose English is nearly perfect occasionally slip on that. But even a native speaker can be a bad speller, or bad at some school-taught rules that don't really come naturally (like "who" vs. "whom" or the so-called "split infinitive").

Speaking only for myself, as someone who loves languages but who knows that no matter how hard I work at it my command of my first foreign language, French, let alone a second or third one, will never be that of a native, I appreciate the effort, and I appreciate that being a native speaker of English is an advantage here, in fact an advantage in the world. I've been studying French since before many of you were born, but I'm sure I still make mistakes on French forums; I'm certain there are things I don't understand on occasion. My trip to Quebec was slightly humbling (and it was, I think, the sixth time I've been over 25 years): I may have no trouble understanding a newspaper article or serious book, or discussing a political subject, but there are still everyday situations where I'll come across a word that any French-speaking child would know but that I've never seen or find myself unable to say something....

So other people's efforts are only annoying (I wouldn't say painful) when it reaches the point it's incomprehensible. And it would be quite rude to say to someone "your English is annoying." If I really don't understand something that I really want to understand because it seems interesting, I'll say so as apologetically as possible.

(In Quebec City last week, I was given the "English" version of a restaurant menu - I didn't ask for it - which seemed to have been produced by Google Translate. A lot of things only made sense if I converted them word-for-word into French. The only reason I didn't ask for the French version is I didn't want to offend the waitress if she was the one who'd done the translation - I doubt it, though: her spoken English was pretty good. And yet, that was the best meal I had on that trip. So iffy language skills don't mean you don't excel in other things.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

piotr71, Attus liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 13th, 2013 at 05:10 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #22403
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Meanwhile in Cittadella, Veneto, Italy - "Jesus is my airbag"

fotos hochladen
That's a Toyota Yaris? the Varis s' they sell here look a bit different.

Last edited by bozenBDJ; October 13th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #22404
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

It's yaris, not varis.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #22405
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

And I don't think Toyota designs their vehicles differently to meet individual national standards. Not in Europe anyway.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #22406
volodaaaa

Speaking about coldness in car, I have recently found the way how to solve it. Just close all fans (or turn them off) and set air at maximum temperature. After few minutes, open all fans (turn then on at half range) and the war air will start to blowing.

The car is not cold so much if you got on, but the problem is in waiting for warm air with opened fans blowing the fresh cold air from outside in first few minutes.

Old October 13th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #22407
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

I'm at work with my bicycle before the car even produces warm air

So I cycle to work, also in winter. Advantage of a 2 kilometer commute.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bozenBDJ, volodaaaa, Peines, bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #22408
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Normally when my car is cold and the garage is under 15ºc i keep the car running idle about 45 seconds to 2 minutes. ¿The reason? It's diesel TDI, 1.6 litre… and the garage has 4 underground levels (8 semi-levels) and 8 ramps until the street level.

Thank god i don't need the car for commuting, I prefer to take the subway.

Also, I need to wait until the street level to put the climatronic even in summer for not forcing the engine. When I reach the street level, the engine has been running for 2~4minutes, so the heat/cold gets out quickly.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #22409
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
So I cycle to work, also in winter. Advantage of a 2 kilometer commute.
Same here, but 3,5 kms. Oh, and replace work with school
I could take the car (when my parents don't need it ) but there are parking fees around my school and the 5 parking spots on the schools terrain are always filled. Add to that that there is no difference in times (both cycling and car ~ 10 mins) and that I like to cycle and my choice is quite easy
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #22410
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

Yesterday was really nice day, sunny and warm (26C). Ideal weather for a one day trip:

http://goo.gl/maps/EGQe3

Subjects of my interest were:

Dunđerski castle in Čelarevo

Franciscan monastery in Bač

Bač fortress

Bođani orthodox monastery

Dunđerski castle and Agricultural museum in Kulpin

Something for volodaaaa

cinxxx, volodaaaa, Zagor666 liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #22411
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

26C wow !!!
Here it was 5C
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #22412
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
That's a Toyota Yaris? the Varis s' they sell here look a bit different.
In which way is it different? Consider it was a Mark I Yaris (1999-2005).

Going on with the "look at my ugly face" race.. here is me, half my phone and a friend's shoulder:

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Verso, cinxxx, bozenBDJ liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #22413
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Yesterday was really nice day, sunny and warm (26C). Ideal weather for a one day trip:

http://goo.gl/maps/EGQe3

Subjects of my interest were:

Dunđerski castle in Čelarevo

Franciscan monastery in Bač

Bač fortress

Bođani orthodox monastery

Dunđerski castle and Agricultural museum in Kulpin

Something for volodaaaa
Vojvodina is my favourite part of Europe. The mixture of languages and habits: Serbs, Croats, Hungarians, Slovaks, Romanians. I have met a Slovak from Vojvodina during my university times and his language was like he just got out of the time-mashine

Old October 13th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #22414
Road_UK
BANNED

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old October 13th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #22415
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
26C wow !!!
Here it was 5C
26,here in cologne it was 4°
i hope the so called indian summer will come soon or is it to late and we have to wait till next year
Old October 13th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #22416
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
i hope the so called indian summer will come soon or is it to late and we have to wait till next year
If the current winter would be like the last one, brace yourselves for spring starting in May

Old October 13th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #22417
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
It's been 8 degrees with almost 2 days of non-stop rain here

Look at the 96 milimeters within 24 hrs just southwest of Rotterdam.

This was from yesterday 8:00 until 8:00 today, and it has been raining until 18:00; Here as well as in Ouddorp, the place where the '96' is located. So the 100 mark was definitely passed there. Not her eprobably, though I'd be surprised it it were under 50 as a total over 2 days.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #22418
Road_UK
BANNED

Mayrhofen yesterday...

They're expecting 20c later in the week, so it'll all be gone soon. I got this photo through WhatsApp from a friend, as I'm on the road at the moment and missed the first snow. Holland now, England tomorrow.
Old October 13th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #22419
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And I don't think Toyota designs their vehicles differently to meet individual national standards. Not in Europe anyway.
How have you came into this conclusion?

Every car manufacturer support building their cars of zillions of variants and features. Typically, the country organization determines the default variants and features using a computerized configurator program. For example, the cars sold in the Nordic countries usually have rather different set of features from those sold in the Mediterranean counties.

For example, most of the cars sold in Finland have a heated rear screen, heated front seats, headlamp washers, and front mudflaps. In the south, these accessories are often either unknown, or they are available only to the high-end variants.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #22420
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post

How have you came into this conclusion?

Every car manufacturer support building their cars of zillions of variants and features. Typically, the country organization determines the default variants and features using a computerized configurator program. For example, the cars sold in the Nordic countries usually have rather different set of features from those sold in the Mediterranean counties.

For example, most of the cars sold in Finland have a heated rear screen, heated front seats, headlamp washers, and front mudflaps. In the south, these accessories are often either unknown, or they are available only to the high-end variants.
Designs my friend, designs. I'm not talking about all the little gadgets.

Tags
highways, motorways