daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #22441
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

i35x?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #22442
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

It's going to be a gasoline powered car for tax reasons. The road tax on diesel cars is just absurd, even with the lower fuel prices and better mileage diesel cars are more expensive. Even a small diesel car costs € 100 per month in road tax, while a small gasoline car costs € 25 per month.

So I want a fuel-efficient gasoline powered car. I like the Hyundai i30, but it wasn't facelifted until the 2012 model year, which means it's too costly (new cars are taxed 45% + 21% VAT in the Netherlands). I'm interested in the i20. They are slightly larger than the i10 (city car) because most of my driving is long-distance (I don't need a car to get to work).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #22443
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Go for the Seat Leon gasoline
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #22444
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubart View Post
Ford Kuga is here. Kuga = Plague.
I rarely see them here. I guess no one wants to have a car with such a name.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #22445
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I think Chris should buy a Toyota Aygo (or the Citroen version which is essentially the same with other name). Or a Yaris...
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #22446
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Seems like road/car tax is crazy expensive in the Netherlands.

My old station-wagon Volvo 740 was 216 € per year in tax, or 18 €/month.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #22447
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I pay car tax 58€ per year for my 6 monthts old Seat Leon 1.4L 122PS gasoline in Germany
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #22448
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

My car registration is $36.00 a year.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #22449
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Italian Fiat Ritmo was renamed as "Fiat Strada" in USA... maybe Penn's Woods can explain why
do you know that last (actual) generation of Bravo is still called Ritmo in Australia?
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #22450
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's going to be a gasoline powered car for tax reasons. The road tax on diesel cars is just absurd, even with the lower fuel prices and better mileage diesel cars are more expensive. Even a small diesel car costs € 100 per month in road tax, while a small gasoline car costs € 25 per month.

So I want a fuel-efficient gasoline powered car. I like the Hyundai i30, but it wasn't facelifted until the 2012 model year, which means it's too costly (new cars are taxed 45% + 21% VAT in the Netherlands). I'm interested in the i20. They are slightly larger than the i10 (city car) because most of my driving is long-distance (I don't need a car to get to work).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Go for the Seat Leon gasoline
Seat León TSI 1.4. No doubt

But if you're looking for a i20 you'll should look the new Renault Capture TCe.

Other options: Fiat bravo or 500L with twinair engines, KIA Ceed, i30, Skoda Rapid Spaceback, Skoda Yeti, the recently facelifted Renault Megame TCe, ford focus ecoboost...

And never buy a car with a PSA Peugueot-Citroen petrol engine, they have probably the best diesel engines, but they don't know how to design a petrol engine.

Last edited by Peines; October 15th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #22451
bogdymol
bogdymod

Dacia Sandero

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #22452
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Native speakers make mistakes too, you know. Not the same ones, necessarily.... (A native speaker knows instinctively when to say "went" and when to say "have gone"... but even Continentals whose English is nearly perfect occasionally slip on that. But even a native speaker can be a bad speller, or bad at some school-taught rules that don't really come naturally (like "who" vs. "whom" or the so-called "split infinitive").(..)
There is also common misuse of apostrophe in England. Huge amount of people say 'he were' and 'he don't', too. I think it's generally typical for working class as well as pronouncing '-age' in 'garage' as '-idge' in 'bridge'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peines View Post
Even in europe: In spain we don't have the same versions like the rest of europe. (..)
I remember some 'indigenous' Spanish vehicles such as: Renault 7, Santana (Land Rover), Small MB vans which had different symbols to those sold in the rest of Europe (MB100D) and alsa trucks called Ebro.

Quote:

(..)
It's just hard to believe! I keep 2 youngtimers in Poland and pay no tax at all for them. In the UK I am charged about 300 pounds for Fiat Multipla and 280 for BMW 3. I also rent some other vehicles, however they are already taxed.
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #22453
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I am by no means perfect in English, but I've seen several recurring spelling errors amongst native speakers, especially then/than, we're/were and your/you're. I find it personally hard to decide when to use "farther" and "further". Further up the road, farther west than...?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #22454
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Farther is more American. And seeing that you prefer everything in American (gasoline, Utrecht province, where we'd say the Province of Utrecht) you can use it as much as you like
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #22455
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

I always thought "farther" is more related to actual spatial distances while the meaning of "further" is broader. "After further considerations" not "after farther considerations".
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #22456
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
I am by no means perfect in English, but I've seen several recurring spelling errors amongst native speakers, especially then/than, we're/were and your/you're. I find it personally hard to decide when to use "farther" and "further". Further up the road, farther west than...?
It is the same to me But conservative Englishman may protest.

Well phrasal verbs are horror to me. The more I learn, the more new appear somehow.

I don't understand some mistakes among natives - your vs. you're etc. is easy and obvious as hell. But there are some words I am never sure about: eg. differences among "nevertheless/nonetheless/furthermore/moreover" what are very very similar words, or "made from" vs. "made up by", "therefore" vs. "hence" and some rules among them (e.g. must be standing at the beginning of the sentence).

I am also very confused about pairs upon/beneath, over/under, above/below, about/over (argue about something vs. argue over something).

Special category are tenses. But according to my experiences, the use of past simple instead of present perfect is not a problem, whereas opposite situation is.

And sometimes, I am not sure about articles

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #22457
piotr71

Romani people's camp in Ledbury, England.

Old October 15th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #22458
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes, but again mostly in America. I can't say that Brits never use the word farther, but it's not common use anyway. My UK spelling checker only knows it with a capital F - like as if it's some locality or something...

Edit, reply to G.
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #22459
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes, but again mostly in America. I can't say that Brits never use the word farther, but it's not common use anyway. My UK spelling checker only knows it with a capital F - like as if it's some locality or something...

Edit, reply to G.
Good name for locality.
- "Do you live farther?" Yes, literally.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #22460
Road_UK
BANNED

Reminds me of the town of ******* in Austria.

Tags
highways, motorways