daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #22561
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

This is mine:

But I cannot enter Twitter . When I enter my username and password, it doesn't put me on my timeline.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #22562
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I remember someone saying that this is no chat.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #22563
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

What is the purpose of this thread then? Talks about roadside rest areas?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #22564
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I'm connected via WiFi, so it may have something with my router located on the opposite corner of my apartment.
My home internet connection is also via WiFi and it runs good.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

volodaaaa liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #22565
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
My home internet connection is also via WiFi and it runs good.
Sometimes it depends what the walls are made from, e.g. wooden partitions only slightly weaken the signal, but reinforced concrete is like real-life firewall

Old October 17th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #22566
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have reinforced concrete walls at home.
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #22567
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

My cable internet connection:

Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #22568
volodaaaa

Quote:
I have reinforced concrete walls at home.
Okay, I admit it. I have shitty connection

bogdymol liked this post
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #22569
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I posted it because it was interesting.
It was interesting indeed (otherwise I wouldn't have read such a long text). This is an interesting comment from a reader:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassyLass
I am speechless. A person who enjoys travelling the world is denied access to the one country that is supposed to be a land of freedom and opportunity.
And as for the customs officer asking him "What the hell were you doing in Yemen?": I guess he doesn't travel much, but Yemen isn't just al-Qaeda. Actually its capital Sana'a is one of the most beautiful cities and protected by UNESCO:

Socotra isn't bad either.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #22570
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It was interesting indeed (otherwise I wouldn't have read such a long text). This is an interesting comment from a reader:

And as for the customs officer asking him "What the hell were you doing in Yemen?": I guess he doesn't travel much, but Yemen isn't just al-Qaeda. Actually its capital Sana'a is one of the most beautiful cities and protected by UNESCO:

Socotra isn't bad either.
Something unbelievable. Real-life gingerbread city.

Old October 18th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #22571
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Beautiful, but AFAIK quite dangerous to visit as a tourist.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #22572
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Yeah, of course we do. Just like you Americans always generalize as well
Personally, I try to see people as individuals, not as carriers of the (supposed) defects of their countries, religions, what have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I can't speak for cinxxx, but I found the story interesting, hence the reason I liked it.
Fair enough. But see reply to cinxxx farther down this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
let's change the subject. so, the gypsies...

Exactly! Liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I posted it because it was interesting. It's the man's opinion, he has the freedom of expressing it, or not?

I for one wasn't ever outside of Europe, still have a lot to see in Europe. Am not in a rush to visit the US anyway, still would need a Visa, while in Europe I can travel almost everywhere without it...
Yes, he does have the freedom to expresss it. Here at least as much as in his own country (where, as I noted on this thread some months ago, lèse-majesté is a crime; as is hate speech. Not that I'm condoning hate speech, but I believe the answer to speech is other speech, not government exercises in deciding what speech is OK and what isn't).

I just reread this piece.

Yes, he had a bad experience. I crossed the US-Canadian border in both directions a few weeks ago and I found the experience irritating (in both directions, by the way...in fact, I'd say the Canadian agent was at least as unfriendly as the American one. But to leap from that to, basically, boycotting an entire country (not that he exactly says that's what he's doing...he could just have concluded he won't be let in the next time he tries)...well, that's where he loses me. And presenting this as yet another piece of evidence of how awful Americans are is bigotry pure and simple. Not that you did that, but I'd already seen this article 24 hours or so before on HuffingtonPost and seen idiotic comments (evidence of how awful Americans are, bla bla bla) about it; so when I saw it appear here....

And Keoki, I think that answers your question about whether I got out of the wrong side of bed.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #22573
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've heard that American custom\immigration officers use to ask aparently idiot questions to travellers entering the USA, like: "Have you drugs?", "Have you weapons?" and so. The answer is obvious but those officers can read the face expression that varies between innocent (who say a sincere no) and guilty (who say a false no) persons. If one appears suspiocious, they search deeper his luggage.
I'd never heard that. That's interesting.

A lot of my irritation with customs my recent trip was hearing questions I found inappropriate and in a tone of voice I found inappropriate. (On the return trip, he asked where I was heading, and I had to restrain myself from saying "I'm entering my own country; it's none of your business where I'm stopping for the night." But as I say, the Canadian agent going the other way was just as borderline-hostile.* And I still remember the "What were you doing in Canada?" I got on a previous trip with a tone of voice that made it sound like "What the hell were...") I also had to open my trunk - both entering Canada and returning - which I don't remember having to do before. But, as you all may have noticed [blush], I'm sensitive to that sort of thing.

If border-control agents are actually being trained to be confrontational, well, that's just sad. (American citizens used to get a "welcome home." That was nice. Even if it did seem slightly silly when you were from Philadelphia and entering Vermont.)

*"borderline"? Get it?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 18th, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #22574
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I remember someone saying that this is no chat.
Our esteemed moderator (one of them), in an edit to the very first post of the thread, says otherwise.

But, Spinoza, you still haven't told us whether you look like John Belushi.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #22575
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
What is the purpose of this thread then? Talks about roadside rest areas?
No, there's a thread about that. (Sorry for the serial posts, mods....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #22576
bogdymol
bogdymod

@Penn's Woods: if you don't like US customs come to Europe and visit our border check points. You will find nicer people here
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #22577
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Not really. I used to go to Eastern Europe a lot before they joined Schengen, and I found especially the Slovakian border guards as miserable as hell.

Must admit that I had no problems with the Romanians. In fact, last time I crossed the border we ended up chatting about all sorts of things.

The British Border Agency officers are almost without exception always friendly. Same with the French. The Germans have their good days and their bad days.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #22578
bogdymol
bogdymod

The difference, at least for me, is that when you approach US customs you are stressed because you know that the customs agent always has a bad day and will ask you one million questions and search everything you have.

While in Europe, I always go relaxed to the border crossing because I know that they will allow me to pass the border without any problems.
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #22579
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Our esteemed moderator (one of them), in an edit to the very first post of the thread, says otherwise.
So I don't understand why my posts were deleted some days ago.

Quote:
But, Spinoza, you still haven't told us whether you look like John Belushi.
I know.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #22580
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
The difference, at least for me, is that when you approach US customs you are stressed because you know that the customs agent always has a bad day and will ask you one million questions and search everything you have.

While in Europe, I always go relaxed to the border crossing because I know that they will allow me to pass the border without any problems.
Again, not always. Last time in Newark they were friendly. I got refused into the Czech Republic once because I had a little crack in my windscreen. You can never say "it's better in Europe" because *******s are everywhere.

Austrian border guards were known to be absolute *******s.

As for this story: the author is an absolute ******* as well. He might have been cocky on that border as far as I know. He'd never admit, hence his determination to come out as a victim here.

Penn's Woods, Wilhem275 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways