daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #22581
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
The difference, at least for me, is that when you approach US customs you are stressed because you know that the customs agent always has a bad day and will ask you one million questions and search everything you have.

While in Europe, I always go relaxed to the border crossing because I know that they will allow me to pass the border without any problems.
The only problems I had were at Bulgarian borders. The border check took too much time as they checked cars three times.

I is also funny at Greek-Macedonian border with Greek or Macedonian car in front of you. Greeks put the FYROM sticker to Macedonian plates and Macedonians checks the Greek cars like they are the most dangerous terrorists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
and I found especially the Slovakian border guards as miserable as hell.
I am not sure what do you exactly mean by "miserable" but please consider, border police is the branch of police and it is well known fact that Slovak policemen are stupid and initiative as hell. God Bless schengen area.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #22582
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

I am not sure what do you exactly mean by "miserable" but please consider, border police is the branch of police and it is well known fact that Slovak policemen are stupid and initiative as hell. God Bless schengen area.
Moody. Unfriendly.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #22583
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

This is my speed test. They cap the download speed, otherwise I'd get in a day like this (70% of the building's population gone) at least 120... which I sometimes do when they somehow uncap things here

=================

Now this is oversized transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven&Hell View Post

Old October 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #22584
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Just found out I will have to commute until the end of the year to Regensburg. Just f*****g great.
That when I had in mind to ride my bicycle to work as long as it's not raining or icy.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #22585
bogdymol
bogdymod

2 x 100 km daily commute? That's quite a lot in my opinion. How will you do it? By car or train? Will the company pay for your commute?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #22586
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I will get a car from the company. I had to do it a month ago too, but only for 4 days. I got a diesel Golf 5 for that, the car was not bad (compared to my Leon, although not as great). You also get a card to use at fuel station, so you actually don't pay anything.

Reason for commute: is the project I'm currently working on is there and my colleagues too and it won't work from distance.

Train is not better, although connection to the train station in Regensburg is good, and I leave near the train station in Ingolstadt, but the work place is to far from there, I would require an extra 20-30 minutes.
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #22587
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

100 km over Autobahn doesn't sound too much. You'll get used to it pretty soon as it is only one hour per direction. I have two co-workers who drive similar distance every day but only 2/3 of their distance is motorway.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #22588
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

That stretch is not so bad, as I said, I did the same commute a month ago for 4 days.

I found taking the shortcut over the B16 till Siegenburg is better, time is roughly the same, but no congestion and the A93 from there is not limited to 120 anymore. The B16 also has some overtaking lanes to pass most of the trucks on the way, and in rest the alignment is good, so you can drive 120 if free --> http://goo.gl/maps/s99Fv

For return, traffic in Regensburg is pretty dense and A3 is mostly blocked until reaching the A93. At least to not crawl trough the traffic, I use this detour, nice landscapes, relaxing drive --> http://goo.gl/maps/DfTuv
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #22589
bogdymol
bogdymod

My girfriend has a co-worker that does Oradea-Arad commute every day by car. It's 120 km one-way with 0 km of motorway (just a normal road with a lot of villages).
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #22590
Road_UK
BANNED

I always found the A3 relatively quite after Nürnberg all the way to Austria border, with perhaps a slight holdup at Regensburg...
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #22591
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
100 km over Autobahn doesn't sound too much. You'll get used to it pretty soon as it is only one hour per direction. I have two co-workers who drive similar distance every day but only 2/3 of their distance is motorway.
I have many colleagues who commute up to 90 minutes one way while the distance is below 70 kilometers. But they come by train. They say they don't care (it's free as their travel expenses are government sponsored) but I'm happy with my 6 minute bicycle commute.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #22592
Road_UK
BANNED

Like I said before: I commute from my kitchen to my van in the garden.

By the way, I'm likely to switch companies next week. I'm in talks with a company in the Stuttgart area. I'll remain in Mayrhofen, as it is a nice hub to Munich, Italy, Switzerland and the East... Plus I love my mountains and skiing too much.
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #22593
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This is my speed test. They cap the download speed, otherwise I'd get in a day like this (70% of the building's population gone) at least 120... which I sometimes do when they somehow uncap things here

This is a speed which I'm getting now. Everything loads instantly. But this isn't at home.

In my house we are using BT Infinity which in theory is 72 Mbit. It's £41 per month including telephone. I can't really tell the difference between between this and ''business connection'' above, no slowdowns and so on but I get cut off every now and again for few minutes but then again same happened with Virgin Media. The only real step up was when Virgin upgraded their basic option from 10 to 20Mbit. I'm glad that I have unlimited data since the average usage for my household is around 300-350GB. Capped options stay around 40-80GB.

I would happily stay with Virgin Media however they don't do fibre optic in the area where I have moved. £25 per month for 30Mbit with no phone line required used to be a good deal.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #22594
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Yay for normal internet speeds
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #22595
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Especially if you are given car and company pays for fuel. It would be hobby for me.

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #22596
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I hope they will find me a company car. On Monday I will have to use my private car. You get 0,30€ per km back, so 2x100 km would mean 60€.
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #22597
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I hope they will find me a company car. On Monday I will have to use my private car. You get 0,30€ per km back, so 2x100 km would mean 60€.
Pretty good. My car has approx. 800 km range when I buy fuel for 60 €. But you have to think about amortization. If you drive 200 km/daily and there are 280 working days, it will count you 58 000 km/yr more what can significantly shrink the value of your car.

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #22598
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

It was resolved, the guys in Regensburg have a free car, a diesel Passat. So I will go there by train, and back with the car, which I will use the next week and a half, then back with the train.

And then vacation home in Timisoara for 10 days
Btw, any Roadside Rest Area users in Esztergom? I will stay there (actually in Štúrovo) over night on my trip to Timisoara.

Regardin daily commute, I have colleagues from Augsburg area, they come by private car daily, so that's around 50,000 km. And AFAIK they don't get any money for that, since it's their way to work and not Dienstfahrt. Another colleague lives in Nürnberg, comes by train and drives from train station in Ingolstadt to work and back the same.

Last edited by cinxxx; October 18th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #22599
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

My internet speeds at the building I'm living at now:

I haven't got an Internet connection at home, I only have it in the place where I study.
Sometimes I use my mobile phone's one, but my house must have thick walls, as I don't get 3G (4G is not expected to arrive soon to my town) and GPRS (2.5G) connection is really slow.

-----

Suburbanist, were that pieces carried from Spain to Panama?
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #22600
bogdymol
bogdymod

Autumn colours on main road 7 near Arad, Romania:

Picture shot with my mobile phone.

Tags
highways, motorways