daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #22681
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
"Hatred"? Where do you see hatred? All I did was disagree with you. Get a grip.
Uhh, the words you use suggest otherwise... You're acting a bit hostile, at least, that's what I'm picking up from your choice of words.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #22682
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

See my last post. I admit to finding this irritating. But there's a big difference between irritation and hatred.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #22683
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
"Hatred"? Where do you see hatred? All I did was disagree with you. Get a grip.
English is not my native language, I chose a wrong word. I'm sorry. I meant "tenacity" maybe.

Quote:
And yes, it's just a system. But from my point of view (I do have a right to a point of view, right?), the question becomes why does it matter to you which one we use?
Generally speaking it doesn't. But no man's an island, and no country either. Everything is intertwined, and I'm sorry but I think it matters. It's my point of view. So I could ask. "Why does it matter to you what we think about the system you use?"

EDIT: By the way, it's not very polite to answer a question with another question. I wasn't attacking you, I just genuinely wanted to know.

Last edited by g.spinoza; October 26th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #22684
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
See my last post. I admit to finding this irritating. But there's a big difference between irritation and hatred.
Ah, missed that post. Got it now
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #22685
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
not caring which system is better or worse.
This has never been about what's better and what's worse.

Quote:
Moreover, I thank god (does he/she really exist?) for letting them remain different, even if it might have been less efficient.
THis is a statement I'll never understand. I wonder why anyone would want to have something less efficient.
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #22686
piotr71

Tradition?

By the way, I did not say it was less efficient, I do not care. It's their (Imperial measures users) business, not ours.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by piotr71; October 26th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #22687
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Tradition?
Only that? Really?
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #22688
piotr71

Let's not depreciate tradition, whatever it's related to. I am old enough to understand that not all what most modern suits everyone. I also do not need modernity in many parts of my live; for instance: I prefer Mercedes W124 to W212, I prefer maps to Sat Nav and I use very old and simple Nokia instead of modern phone-lookalike devices made by Apple or Samsung. However, I do not mind if someone else uses all these stuff.

Penn's Woods liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #22689
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

The U.S customary units are illogical, but it hasn't stand in the way of progress. Virtually all major technological advancements of the 20th century originated in the United States, whether it's the atomic age, the space race, military superiority, or the technological advancements out of Silicon Valley. This forum runs on Vbulletin, which was created in the U.S. Millions of people use Facebook or Twitter or Instagram, all of which are made by Americans.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods, Lum Lumi liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #22690
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Again, Chris, it's not the system. Every system is good on its own, every system is more or less arbitrary. The issue here is why using two systems - or more, complicating relationships, when it's not necessary.
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #22691
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Changing the system may be costly. Not only direct finances, but all the costs associated with the people having to learn and understand new system, that's the biggest problem.

If there would not be costs associated, I guess it would be changed swiftly, tradition or not.

And to be honest, it doesn't affect only Americans. When I come across imperial units I get irritated, because I need to recalculate it in my head. But yeah, imagine if the system was changed, all the people in the USA having to recalculate everything in their heads... at least for some time.

Last edited by Surel; October 26th, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #22692
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

If you choose to follow the traditions in everything you do, how will you ever develop as a society/nation/economy?

The imperial measurement system is just plainly worse, there's nothing to discuss there. I's more complicated, it's less efficient and there aren't enough units for crying out loud. If the imperial system was as good as the metric system, there wouldn't be only 2 countries in the world that haven't adopted it.

It looks to me that the Americans don't like the metric system just because they didn't invent it.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #22693
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
If you choose to follow the traditions in everything you do, how will you ever develop as a society/nation/economy?

The imperial measurement system is just plainly worse, there's nothing to discuss there. I's more complicated, it's less efficient and there aren't enough units for crying out loud. If the imperial system was as good as the metric system, there wouldn't be only 2 countries in the world that haven't adopted it.

It looks to me that the Americans don't like the metric system just because they didn't invent it.
They never invented the imperial system.

Penn's Woods, Wilhem275 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #22694
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post

Changing the system may be costly. Not only direct finances, but all the costs associated with the people having to learn and understand new system, that's the biggest problem.

If there would not be costs associated, I guess it would be changed swiftly, tradition or not.
Euro changeover was costly. I'm no economist, but it simplified things and in the long run benefits outrun costs. At least, so they say.
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #22695
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I think the changeover was relatively painless in Ireland. I remember when they were in the middle of it, and there was a strange mixture of miles and kilometres on the roads. It's all in km now.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #22696
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I think the changeover was relatively painless in Ireland. I remember when they were in the middle of it, and there was a strange mixture of miles and kilometres on the roads. It's all in km now.
Must have been strange, especially in case of speed limits

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #22697
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
It's their (Imperial measures users) business, not ours.
And THAT may be why this is so irritating. (Once in a while, I would understand. But every few weeks? And about a matter that is more our business than anyone else's. And the same thing happens with Britain's using its own currency or driving on the left. And Americans' having our own sports. There seems to be an assumption, perhaps an unconscious one, at play that anything anyone outside Continental Europe does differently from the Continental European way needs to be explained, if not justified. Which I frankly find rather arrogant.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

piotr71 liked this post
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #22698
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
....EDIT: By the way, it's not very polite to answer a question with another question....
Whatever.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #22699
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Eurocentric bullcrap with no basis whatsoever other than your own prejudices. (And why aren't you picking on the Brits, too?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #22700
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

We seem to have done all right. When Estonia has its first moon landing, get back to me. :rolleyes:

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways