daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #22721
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

When I was at school I had a phisics book that was obviously translated from English: some problems were like: "a distance of 1,609km...".
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #22722
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
That's debatable. Anyway, switching to Euro is not alike to switching a unit of measurement. It has effects on the real world .

In general, yes I think that SI units should be universal and yes I think it would bring savings in the long run that would exceed the costs that the US would have to pay in the next 30 years or so.

It's the same like left or right side driving question. Costly to change it now, but in the long run the benefits would outrun the costs I think, although here it is mayhaps questionable.
Adapting all vehicles and roads to change driving side is much more difficult and costlier than changing measurement system.

The consequences of the euro changeover were far deeper than those people could notice with their eyes (the supply of money isn't longer controlled by national banks but by the ECB).
Old October 27th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #22723
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
They never invented the imperial system.
That's the ironic part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Eurocentric bullcrap with no basis whatsoever other than your own prejudices. (And why aren't you picking on the Brits, too?)
The Brits have adopted the metric system. Sure, they still often use imperial measures in everyday language but things like this take time.
Quote:
We seem to have done all right. When Estonia has its first moon landing, get back to me. :rolleyes:
Wait, when was the last time you sent a man beyond low-Earth orbit? Was it 2012? Oh, wait, it was in ******* 1972 or 40 years ago. Great progress, guys! If you keep up the same space you won't be able to make a plane fly by 2100 (khm-khm Boeing 787 khm-khm).
Quote:
Ah, "EU directives".... But that's none of MY business.
The metric system has pretty much nothing to do with EU directives since the metric system was widely adopted before WW2. BTW, I think you and the Brits should really read up on what the EU directives are actually for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
TV screens, rims, tires, plumbing are good examples of "every system is fine on its own". We live perfectly fine lives dealing with 15" or 17" rims, since we just need to compare them and not convert them into cm.
I still find it funny that the diameter of a rim is in inches but the width of a tyre is in mm and the height of the tyre is a proportional measurement of the width. Couldn't they have made it any more complicated?

-------------------
Edit: if the Americans had 12 fingers and used the dozenal numbering system, the imperial system would make sense. But that's a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; October 27th, 2013 at 02:59 AM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #22724
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Actually, what I really stumble on is the "1.234,56" vs "1,234.56" thing.
1 234,56 is the best.

Quote:
If we want to be honest, we have our own conflicting standars within EU. I hate the "l/100 km" figure, which is stupidly used instead of "km/l" for marketing reasons.
Here in Sweden we use l/10 km (liter per Swedish mile) which makes it a bit easier to calculate at least. Driving to Stockholm from here is 20 Swedish miles, which makes it 0,8 * 20 liters, and so on. I agree though that km/l would be quite useful.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #22725
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
That's the ironic part.

The Brits have adopted the metric system. Sure, they still often use imperial measures in everyday language but things like this take time.
Find a sign in Britain telling you how many kilometers it is to London.... (Or how many kilometers per hour you can legally drive.)

Quote:
Wait, when was the last time you sent a man beyond low-Earth orbit? Was it 2012? Oh, wait, it was in ******* 1972 or 40 years ago. Great progress, guys! If you keep up the same space you won't be able to make a plane fly by 2100 (khm-khm Boeing 787 khm-khm).
The airplane. Something else invented by backwards, Imperial-using Americans. Interesting example: apparently (I didn't know this), the international standard to this day is to give flight altitudes in feet. Russia even recently switched TO Imperial for that purpose.

And when any other country's flag joins ours on the moon, you can make arguments about American lack of progress in space without looking ridiculous.

Quote:
The metric system has pretty much nothing to do with EU directives since the metric system was widely adopted before WW2. BTW, I think you and the Brits should really read up on what the EU directives are actually for.
I didn't bring up EU directives; an Anglo/Dutch/Austrian did. I personally don't need to "read up on what EU directives are actually for" because - news flash - I, like most of the world's population - am outside its jurisdiction.

Your signature is, um, interesting, by the way.

----------

Now, in honor of Europe's going off daylight savings time tonight, here's a cause frustrated uniformity- and logical-measurement fetishists can get behind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

Work on that and (here, I think I speak for many of us) leave us alone.

EDIT: Now, I'm off to engage in one of two primitive, exotic practices (haven't made up my mind which): watching the World Series or watching Penn State vs. Ohio State, in what we ignorants think is football. Don't even know balls should be round, we're such barbarians....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 27th, 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #22726
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
And when any other country's flag joins ours on the moon, you can make arguments about American lack of progress in space without looking ridiculous.
Oh come on, you really want to turn this ridiculous units debate into an even more ridiculous debate on how you faked to get there!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #22727
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm sorry. "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel," someone said. And of some non-scoundrels when sufficiently provoked.

(Of course, I may be the only one on this thread who actually saw the first moon landing live on TV.)

Your signature's interesting too. Where's it from?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #22728
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

[loads of cursing: I wrote a long answer to that, then I just closed the tab... I'll get my patience back with me and I'll answer -again- tomorrow, please understand me...]

Btw, I use to say that when I was born, the Wall was still up 1986, though.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #22729
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

Standarization will arrive at one point or another. But every country or even every culture have their own measuring systems, and I think it is something to preserve, too.
Although Spain was metricated in the 1850s, when talking about lands, I usually hear about cuerdas or fanegas. But we are losing a lot of units like leguas, celemines or varas.
And Imperial system is not so hard to learn. When I was in Florida, I remember that at first it was hard to know in which part of the swimming pool I could stand up before going inside. It was easy to learn: dividing feet by 3.
Similar when in England, just multiply miles by 1'6 (and divide Sterling Pounds by it, to get Euro). But it was strange not to see any three-digit speed sign.

And I still think a lot of times in pesetas. Or even duros (3 cents. or 5 pesetas, not official unit, but Dollars and Pesos descend from it*).

*[Bohemian Thaler -> Real de a 8 (Peso Duro) -> Pesos, dollars and duros]

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Must have been strange, especially in case of speed limits
Well, they had "km/h" written in all new signs, so it was not so easy to confuse speeds. They still have signs like that.
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #22730
italystf

Quote:

Now, in honor of Europe's going off daylight savings time tonight, here's a cause frustrated uniformity- and logical-measurement fetishists can get behind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar
Well, that was more than 200 years ago, standardization wasn't feel much important back then. Imagine that in Italy every city or region had its own measurement units.
Ironically, the French who created their own calendar, also invented the metric system in the same years.
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #22731
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Even mainland Europe is marginally influenced by the imperial system (screens size,...).
In Hungary, smartphone screens are measured in inches, television screens in centimeters. In Germany smartphones in cm, TVs in inches (actually Zoll which is equal to inch).
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #22732
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
When I was at school I had a phisics book that was obviously translated from English: some problems were like: "a distance of 1,609km...".
Oh, it is nice :-) There are many examples for such a (actually very wrong) translation, e.g. I read in an article that the beard of ZZ Top members is 30.48 cm long :-) I'm used to watch CSI in TV, for some seasons Hungarian translations were like this, e.g. "the scene is 32 km from here" (for 20 miles), later on they used rounded numbers if the number in the original text was supposed to be rounded, e.g. 20 miles was translated as 30 kilometers.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #22733
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
rant
So, where is all this America bashing from you coming from? Do you think you're superior? Because it seems to me you're trying to take off into space on a horse and carriage.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #22734
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

the most confusing thing are clothing and footwear numbers. there are several measurment systems only in Europe, and they are not always the same. for instance, if i wear adidas snickers number 47, that doesn't mean that nike 47 will suit to me, too (actually, they won't 100%)
Old October 27th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #22735
italystf

Many times clothing and footwear numbers are written on the label in different units: EU, USA, UK.
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #22736
piotr71

Quote:
Find a sign in Britain telling you how many kilometers it is to London.... (Or how many kilometers per hour you can legally drive.)
Sort of...

Captured today.
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #22737
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Apparently distance markers on UK's motorways are in kilometres...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #22738
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Many times clothing and footwear numbers are written on the label in different units: EU, USA, UK.
Paradox situation is, that I have no problems with american system on clothing, what confuses me a lot is European. There are sizes for Germany, France, Uk or Eu

Btw. the absolute winner is Marks and Spencer shop. They have imperial units in their shops no matter which country they are selling in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
In Hungary, smartphone screens are measured in inches, television screens in centimeters. In Germany smartphones in cm, TVs in inches (actually Zoll which is equal to inch).
I hate dubbing in movies. Slovaks dubbers are like stupid or what. Example:

Car is driving on motorway and the passenger talk to driver:
In original N. American audio: "Please, do not exceed the fifty".
In Czech dubbing: "Please, do not exceed the eighty".
In Slovak dubbing: "Please, do not exceed the fifty".

Quote:
Good answer. A Slovak started it, though (this time...)
What is wrong with you. You reminds me Sisimoto the HUN who is totally intolerant to criticism aimed to Hungarian road network. Maybe I started the pointless discussion (what is obviously the major purpose of this thread) but did not started the flamewar. Take it more easier. There is thousand thing in Europe you can made fun from and trilion (guess which scale I am currently using :-) ) things in Slovakia. Calm down, bro.

Last edited by volodaaaa; October 27th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #22739
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
....Ironically, the French...invented the metric system in the same years.
Depends which article you read. A Brit may have invented it; the French just adopted it. The whole history's more complex than I thought, actually.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #22740
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
...What is wrong with you. You reminds me Sisimoto the HUN who is totally intolerant to criticism aimed to Hungarian road network. Maybe I started the pointless discussion (what is obviously the major purpose of this thread) but did not started the flamewar. Take it more easier. There is thousand thing in Europe you can made fun from and trilion (guess which scale I am currently using :-) ) things in Slovakia. Calm down, bro.
Um, I was being tongue-in-cheek when I mentioned "a Slovak." I've been trying to be tongue-in-cheek throughout this. You're not the one who finally got to me. It should be obvious who did, and understandable why.

(And it wasn't that much of a flamewar. I've seen worse. Although the filename in the image you posted - "American logic" - was... Well, we'll just assume you didn't notice that. I saw it when I replied to your post and the JPEG was replaced in the draft-reply window by its name.) And "making fun of things in Europe," or anywhere else, is not my favorite form of "humor." 'k?

Ahem. One more interesting example of confusion caused by converting systems. The last time this came up on this thread, a month ago, it was regarding temperatures and that was right before I went to Canada so I was paying attention when I was up there....

One day in Quebec City, the weather report in the morning mentioned that the record high for the date was "23.9," set in 1963. Canada was still using Fahrenheit in 1963, so that 23.9 is, I'd guess, a conversion of 75 Fahrenheit. Was it really 23.9, or 23.7, 23.8, 24.1...? Who knows. I'd have to see the actual data but since temperatures are normally given to the public in whole numbers my guess is that it could have been anywhere between 74.5 and 75.5 Fahrenheit (23.7 to 24.2 Celsius or so), which was rounded off to 75 and that the conversion to 23.9 is therefore...how to put it...misleadingly precise.

That afternoon - I mean that date in 2013, during my trip - it reached "24." I'm putting it in quotes because that's the number I heard on the radio. Was it really 1/10 of a degree Celsius warmer than in 1963? I doubt it.... I never actually heard anyone say it had broken the record, not that I was glued to the radio or TV....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 28th, 2013 at 02:03 AM.

Tags
highways, motorways