daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #22941
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I don't understand the original Dutch article you linked. However in Hungary Santa Claus (or let's call him as you want as Santa Claus is very American, I think)
Yet it's a sort of copy if the Dutch Sinterklaas

Sinterklaas (St. Nick) comes here, well, now, and then leaves on december 6th. It has always been like this, he always comes mid-November. After that is't time for Santa Claus (we have both ). He doesn't arrive or anything special, he's just here basically after Sinterklaas goes away.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #22942
piotr71

Apart from St. Claus coming in every 6th of December, there is also a "star" visiting homes with presents. She arrives in Christmas eve.

In nice and funny communists era authorities tried to introduce another interesting, bringing gifts, character It was 'Grandad Frost" (dziadek mróz) better known as "Дед Мороз". He actually was to replace Santa Claus, but thank god never did.
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #22943
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Yet it's a sort of copy if the Dutch Sinterklaas

Sinterklaas (St. Nick) comes here, well, now, and then leaves on december 6th. It has always been like this, he always comes mid-November. After that is't time for Santa Claus (we have both ). He doesn't arrive or anything special, he's just here basically after Sinterklaas goes away.
I called him "St. Nick" rather than "Santa" because, well, I'm not sure, really. I know the origins of the character Santa Claus, but maybe it just seems that the two characters have moved so far apart, both in look and on the calendar...?

I knew about St. Nick coming on December 6 (his feast day) to kids, and assume that it's on December 6 that you give, um, end-of-year-holiday gifts to kids and on December 25 to grown-ups. But this arriving three weeks early and being greeted by the mayor on live TV (apparently the VRT covered the arrival in Antwerp yesterday), I didn't know about.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #22944
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

St. Nikolaus comes on 6th December and is not the same as Santa Claus.
In Romania we have these too.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #22945
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

Saint Nicolas was a huge thing when I was a kid, and kids were in much more anticipation of Saint Nicolas than Santa Claus, because the Dutch did generally not exchange gifts with Christmas, although it seems that Santa is becoming more popular over here. There's a commercial point there as well, because they can sell more stuff if there are two holidays. Although Saint Nicolas is not actually a public holiday in the Netherlands, people have to work that day.

Halloween also has increasing popularity but Thanksgiving not as far as I am aware. We also don't have a Black Friday or Boxing Day shopping spree on the day after Christmas. The Netherlands has two public holidays with Christmas, called the first and second day of Christmas. Christmas eve however, is not a public holiday although many people take a week off (schools usually have two weeks off).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #22946
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Americans do call Santa "St. Nick" or "Saint Nicholas"; at least he's referred to as such in older poems and songs and so on. But it's totally the same character and totally associated with Christmas. December 6 is just another early-December day.

We don't do Boxing Day, but people are starting to become aware of it, through enough exposure to British (and Canadian) culture and media.

Thanksgiving is nothing to do with Christmas*, and non-Christians observe it too. It was totally uncommercial until the last few years (forgetting about the parades), except for people who sell Thanksgiving food (turkey, pies...); you'll see ads for that sort of thing and, say, butchers encouraging people to order their turkey, a few weeks out.

Since Thanksgiving is a Thursday, and a month before Christmas, a lot of people have the next day off and use it for Christmas shopping. Hence the term "Black Friday": it's supposedly the day a lot of retailers move "into the black" on their "books" - move out of debt and into profit on their accounts. It's only in the last few years that some retailers have pushed Black Friday into Thanksgiving by opening Thursday evening, although they've been opening abnormally early or even at midnight, and offering specials that are only good for the first few hours, for some time (and there's this ridiculous phenomenon of people lining up waiting for stores to open and getting into fights over the toy of the moment), and now there's talk of opening during the day Thanksgiving Day, but a lot of people find this almost sacrilegious, not to mention inconsiderate of retail employees: There's a strong sense that Thanksgiving is a family day, and that retail employees should be able to enjoy it too. I was in a large bookstore yesterday - a national chain - which seems to have decided that this coming Friday is the beginning of Christmas shopping season - they're calling it Discovery Friday or something. A factor in that may be that Chanukah, which usually falls in December, actually begins on Thanksgiving Eve this year, or that Thanksgiving is late - the 28th. (By the way, people weren't saying "Thanksgiving Eve" when I was growing up.)

Canada has a Thanksgiving, but it's the second Monday in October. A Canadian can tell us about how significant it is: all I know is a former supervisor of mine who had in-laws in Montreal said it wasn't on the scale of ours - people "don't go flying across the country to eat turkey."

*although the term "the holidays" covers Thanksgiving to New Year's.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; November 17th, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #22947
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I know the origins of the character Santa Claus, but maybe it just seems that the two characters have moved so far apart, both in look and on the calendar...?
The American Santa Claus (which influences the whole world nowadays) is a mix of at least three different guys and one of them is St. Nicholas (actually getting to the U.S. through the Dutch Sinterklaas that is already a mix of an ancient German guy and St. Nicholas).
However in Hungary St. Nicholas, although remaining in Dec 6, got all the well known properties of the American Coca-Cola Santa Claus: long white beard, red clothes and a red bag. And that's why in Hungarian culture there can be a separated St. Nicholas and then another Santa Claus at Christmas.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #22948
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9111

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
What about this camouflage-painted house in Bratislava.
Quite nice, I'd prefer that instead of the commieblock I've posted (it's at Wyżyny estate in Bydgoszcz).

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.

Last edited by MajKeR_; November 17th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #22949
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
Quite nice, I'd prefer that instead of the commieblock I've posted (it's at Wyżyny estate in Bydgoszcz).
I prefer, when the colour combination matches with surrounding architecture. The less colours, the better. But I really don't like patterns like smiling suns or camouflages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
The American Santa Claus (which influences the whole world nowadays) is a mix of at least three different guys and one of them is St. Nicholas (actually getting to the U.S. through the Dutch Sinterklaas that is already a mix of an ancient German guy and St. Nicholas).
However in Hungary St. Nicholas, although remaining in Dec 6, got all the well known properties of the American Coca-Cola Santa Claus: long white beard, red clothes and a red bag. And that's why in Hungarian culture there can be a separated St. Nicholas and then another Santa Claus at Christmas.
In Slovakia, we do not have Santa Claus, but Christkind. Basically, it is the same as in Austria. But we have Saint Nicolas though. He comes in night at the turn of 5th and 6th of December with Angel and Old Nick and gives sweets to good children. When the child was bad during year, he or she gets onion, garlic, potato and piece of coal. He looks exactly like Santa Claus but has different hat. Sometime he wears white coat instead of red. Today's children often confuses Santa Claus with Saint Nicolas. Saint Nicolas brings only sweets, for gifts, there is Christkind at 24th of December.

Here is the trio:

Btw. I am curious if there is a map of common Christmas gift bringer in the World

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #22950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

When you think of Germany, you think of green energy.

image hosted on flickr

Garzweiler by Chris Wevers, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #22951
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Ludwigshafen? Duisburg has the same pittoresk landscape.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #22952
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Ludwigshafen?
Look at the name below the pic
It's Garzweiler.
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #22953
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Ok. Never heard of it, but the name sounds pretty Saarlanderisch to me... I could look it up, but I can't be bothered.

Penn's Woods, devo liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #22954
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

I still have it opened on GMaps anyway so here you go
https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=Garzwe...Duitsland&z=13
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #22955
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
When you think of Germany, you think of green energy.
You, perhaps. I surely don't.
I'm living in Germany and know that "Energiewende" ("energy turnaround") means using MORE coal/oil energy than before. The government has reopened coal plants and plans to open new ones.
The base of Energiewende is not to use nuclear energy any more. But not any single nation of the world is able to use 100% green energy (considering that nuclear energy is counted as devil energy), so we need more and more conventional (coal or oil based) energy.
Especially that green energy is expensive and many people (especially poor families) suffer from constantly increasing electricity prices.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #22956
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Today I have the pleasure to meet a such dangerous idiot.
Blue: me, red: him.
Junction of Padova ovest on the A4. I was going straight west-east and he turned right from the 3rd lane.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #22957
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Trivia question: guess how many U.S. states have been states longer than Belgium has beem a country. (All 50 are older than independent Slovenia... ;-) )
What kind of a comparison is that? It's like Montenegro boasting that it's been a republic longer than Slovenia's been independent. At least Slovenia's been a republic longer (since 1945) than Alaska and Hawaii have been states (both since 1959).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #22958
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What kind of a comparison is that? It's like Montenegro boasting that it's been a republic longer than Slovenia's been independent. At least Slovenia's been a republic longer (since 1945) than Alaska and Hawaii have been states (both since 1959).
Meanwhile in Mesopotamia: Bitch please...

Penn's Woods, Wilhem275 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #22959
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I found this funny post on the Aaroads forum (written by an American):

"As for wrong turns made by people I was traveling with, there was the time I was going to Canada with my dad and some other relatives. Dad was driving the car I was in, and my cousin was driving another car. My cousin was annoyed that my dad was (in his opinion) driving too slow, so he went ahead of my dad. We were on the QEW near Toronto when the cousin says over the CB radio that he thinks he's lost. Just then we see him passing by, going the other direction. We never did figure out how he got turned around. That same trip, he also got a ticket for going 100 mph in a 100 km/h zone..."
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #22960
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
... I could look it up, but I can't be bothered.
A sentiment I often share.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways