daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #22961
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What kind of a comparison is that? It's like Montenegro boasting that it's been a republic longer than Slovenia's been independent. At least Slovenia's been a republic longer (since 1945) than Alaska and Hawaii have been states (both since 1959).
Now, now.
It is what it is. No "boasting," it's just a fact. And it made sense to me in context.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #22962
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I found this funny post on the Aaroads forum (written by an American):

"As for wrong turns made by people I was traveling with, there was the time I was going to Canada with my dad and some other relatives. Dad was driving the car I was in, and my cousin was driving another car. My cousin was annoyed that my dad was (in his opinion) driving too slow, so he went ahead of my dad. We were on the QEW near Toronto when the cousin says over the CB radio that he thinks he's lost. Just then we see him passing by, going the other direction. We never did figure out how he got turned around. That same trip, he also got a ticket for going 100 mph in a 100 km/h zone..."
Only someone who doesn't know about metric would do 161 km/h in a 63 mph zone, and I knew it would happen

Copied literally from AARoads forum. I can do it because I wrote that!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #22963
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

This is how you drive...

Last edited by cinxxx; November 18th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #22964
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

in USSR there was a nice thing very suitable to him: gulag.
Old November 18th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #22965
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post

in USSR there was a nice thing very suitable to him: gulag.
Perhaps he plays GTA too much.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #22966
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughter_alley#Croatia:
Quote:
Croatia

The A3 motorway section from Nova Gradiška to Slavonski Brod is believed to be cursed, because of many accidents that happen there each year. In a year and a half, 12 people died and 21 were injured. Some people claim that it is caused by supernatural phenomena, some of which include: a screw falling off by itself from the steering mechanism (it takes a sledgehammer to remove that screw), people see ghosts as other people walking on the motorway, and when they look again, there is nobody there, people suddenly thinking they are driving into the wrong direction, blurry eyesight, ghostly hitchhikers, etc.

cinxxx, Alex_ZR liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #22967
volodaaaa

Penn's Woods, Verso, Peines, Nordic20T liked this post
Old November 20th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #22968
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
many newspapers articles wrote about it. conclusion is that motorway is at that part extremely boring and people fall asleep easily there, especially on long trips from western Europe to Balkans.
Old November 20th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #22969
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I know, but it sounds as if my superstitious grandma wrote it.

Broccolli liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #22970
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

[peeve-of-the-moment mode on]
Wait, when I was growing up, we wouldn't put living American presidents on postage stamps (living anyone, actually); now living British actors are o.k.?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...d81_story.html
[peeve-of-the-moment mode off]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #22971
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Who uses stamps these days? My last set of 9 stamps took 5 years to be used up.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #22972
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I use one a month, to pay the rent. (But I just discovered my landlord now, finally, has a pay-online option, so even that....)

Hence the concept of "forever stamps": instead of having a specific price on them, so if the rate went up you'd be adding one- or two-cent stamps to your letters, they're good for a first-class letter up to a certain weight....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #22973
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I use one a month, to pay the rent.
You send a check per mail to pay the rent? That's not common in the Netherlands (I don't think they offer this option even). In my case, they just charge my account every month, so I don't have to do any administration to pay the rent.

I don't think I've ever paid anything via mail. I usually pay bills either by automatic charging or by a manual online bank transfer.
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #22974
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm old enough to have been over 21 before there was such a thing as paying on line. Once a week or so you went through your bills and wrote checks out. And I'm a creature of habit so it took a few years to realize that paying on line was immediate and you saved the cost of a stamp. I still print out paper back-up, even if I hardly ever look at it. Just have a vague feeling I ought to have a paper trail....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #22975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting that they still offer that option to pay by mail, considering the U.S. is the birthplace of electronic payment (the credit card). I've been renting for 8 years now and I don't know better than an automatic bank transfer. They do give you the option to be billed and transfer it yourself, but that just seems like an unnecessary hassle to me (especially if they apply late fees if you forget to pay).
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #22976
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Who uses stamps these days? My last set of 9 stamps took 5 years to be used up.
I use them occasionally when I have to mail some documents that I cannot send via e-mail (because the original paper is relevant). Instead of queueing in a post office, I pack the envelope at home, buy a stamp in a shop and put the envelope in a mailbox on the street.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #22977
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Instead of queueing in a post office, I pack the envelope at home, buy a stamp in a shop and put the envelope in a mailbox on the street.
That's a good thing in Italy, where you can buy stamps at Tabacchis. In some other countries stamps are sold exclusively at the post offices.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #22978
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We do have a thing called an "acceptgiro", which is basically a payment order. They can be paid via internet banking as well. I only remember checks (or cheques) from my parents in the 1990s.
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #22979
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
We do have a thing called an "acceptgiro", which is basically a payment order. They can be paid via internet banking as well. I only remember checks (or cheques) from my parents in the 1990s.
i used cheques 2 years ago. i had to leave 2 bianco cheques in language school as deposit, and minimum was to take 5 of them at the bank. so i used them to pay car insurance in few annuities.
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #22980
volodaaaa

My fianceé always refers to a bad hair day, when she spends about an hour in bathroom and still can not make the satisfying haircut. Analogously, I had a bad drive day today.

I really don't know, whether it was caused by bad weather, or some air pressure unit or what, but I drove almost 40 km within Bratislava and honked almost 30 times due to someone cut in to my lane or did not give me the right of way.

Everybody seemed to be very distracted or what, e.g. there were two turning lanes in intersection and other driver blocked me off the lane three times by changing turning lanes in the middle of intersection.

Then some strange stink started flowing from my fans at one intersection, like plastics being just burnt or what. I was so distracted by this and it bothered me so much, that I confused... and now I feel totally ashamed... I confused the traffic lights and accelerated at wrong green light (it was for turning lane while I was in regular one) and figured it out in the middle of it only at moment, when other cars and trams from different directions started braking and honking at me.

Moreover it was not only ordinary intersection, it was one of the biggest and busiest intersections in Bratislava !

I still can not believe, that I passed it without accident or penalty. Finally, I was in service station and I have to buy new brakes which will cost about 400 €.

Last edited by volodaaaa; November 20th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.

Tags
highways, motorways