daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #23021
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Scariest road?
http://vitaminl.tv/video/1083?ref=fbsm
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #23022
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

i have just sold my Italian piece of crap
i was driving behind the guy who bought it, he's been leaving smoke trail as Trotter's Reliant Robin.

DanielFigFoz liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #23023
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Open your browser's settings, and type "about:blank" in the home page field Then specify to open the home page at startup (if not already so).
Thanks. After I posted here, I discovered that - there's a "blank page" option for your home page in IE. (Yes, I use IE. And Windows XP. No one say anything. I'll be getting new stuff after my project of the moment - finding a better apartment - is behind me.) "about:blank" even works in Chrome, not that Google would actually tell us that. (And I'm not going to point it out to them!) I use both IE and Chrome - some things work better in one, some in the other. They're encouraging us to use Chrome at work. (And took away Outlook for GMail , which absolutely sucks.) As far as I'm concerned Google has finally succeeded in doing something I thought was impossible: becoming more annoying than Microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I use Google Chrome, and every time I want to Google something I just type it in the address bar above. It does the same thing as opening google.com and typing there what I want to search.
I'll have to try that. The two or so searches I've run since I switched to a blank home page I've just used the "live search" window on the upper right in IE, which leads to Bing.

The Doodle, at least in the US, yesterday was an animated thing for the 50th anniversary of Dr. Who. (The 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, the day before, didn't rate for them, which is as odd as the Harry Potter postage stamps, but we can't blame Google for those. I think.) Tired of looking at it every time I opened a browser and - worse - it was occasionally sort of invading other web pages. Which is probably my aging but reliable laptop's problem, but Google needs to understand that not everyone has the latest thing.

End of rant. :-)

It's damn cold here today. Forecast high today 32F/0C. Which is well below "normal" even for January, let alone November.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #23024
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
"about:blank" even works in Chrome, not that Google would actually tell us that.
Uhh... About:blank is the standard home-page.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #23025
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
I'll have to try that. The two or so searches I've run since I switched to a blank home page I've just used the "live search" window on the upper right in IE, which leads to Bing.
You can set the default search engine in Chrome's settings. I choosed Google.com as my default search engine, but you can choose your favorite one.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #23026
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Every computer I've ever owned, the home page you get when you first use the browser (which was always IE until the last few years) has been either something from Microsoft or something from the manufacturer of the computer. I always knew how to reset it, but I was always in the habit of resetting it to Google.

I don't remember what the default home page in Chrome is, actually. I just followed my normal practice of resetting it to google.com on my home and office computers until I got fed up yesterday.

EDIT: Arrows for Keoki. ("Uhh..." :-P)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #23027
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I use Google Chrome, and every time I want to Google something I just type it in the address bar above. It does the same thing as opening google.com and typing there what I want to search.
You can have it in Firefox as well.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #23028
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Has anyone noticed which country thread (at least of those visible in the first two pages of threads) has the most posts, and which is in second?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #23029
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
(Yes, I use IE. And Windows XP. No one say anything. I'll be getting new stuff after my project of the moment - finding a better apartment - is behind me.)
Actually I'm still using XP, and I don't plan to move from that. I have reached an equilibrium, so that with a few regular maintenance the system will keep clean and tidy for a decent amount of time, without performance drops.
That OS is light for modern machines, but does everything I need.

I consider myself a sort of prosumer, not a real pro. I can tune XP much better than most users can do, but... I'm too lazy to migrate to Linux, and I have no actual reason to do so.

About browsers, I prefer Firefox, but we'll talk about it when you'll have a new apartment

I also like Google products, but find their obtrusive manners incredibly annoying. I'm trying to migrate to local stand-alone programs, to avoid using their sites' interfaces... which is the complete failure of the cloud format they were trying to develop, but my user experience is getting worse and worse every day.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #23030
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

It's 2°C outside and there's a mosquito flying around me.

Last edited by Verso; November 26th, 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #23031
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It's colder than that here and we had a mouse in the office this afternoon. (Everybody freak out!)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #23032
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

How many mice do you have in the office when it's warm?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #23033
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

In my own PC I have been using Ubutnu Linux for three years.
It has some problems (which is really annoying is the problem of Sliverlight based live streams) but it's absolute free and quite easy to use.
I prefer Mozilla tools for mails and browsing (Thunderbird and Firefox, respecitvely).
Libre Office which I have for Linux is not bad, however for professional using Microsoft Office is far better (but Libre Office is free, and for my personal demands perfect).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #23034
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In 1981 the, then Italian comedian, Beppe Grillo, killed 3 people in a road accident. It was condemned for unvolontary murder but he was never jailed. Almost 30 years later, when he starded being involved in politics (and founded the M5S party), he stated that people with criminal records should never be allowed in parliament. And obviously many people remembered it.
??
Grillo never run for office. He made the rule and he followed it to the letter.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #23035
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
??
Grillo never run for office. He made the rule and he followed it to the letter.
He had no other choices, due to his criminal record. In 2007-2008 ne wasn't officially involved in politics but leaded street campaigns for a "clean parliament" and many people pointed out this contraddiction (even if he was/is not in the parliament).
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #23036
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Spinoza's back! Va bene?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #23037
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
He had no other choices, due to his criminal record.
He had. He could change the rule he made up himself, or he could never have issued it.

Quote:
In 2007-2008 ne wasn't officially involved in politics but leaded street campaigns for a "clean parliament" and many people pointed out this contraddiction (even if he was/is not in the parliament).
Why do you keep saying "contradiction"? He never wanted office, nor run for it. So which contradiction is that?

Quote:
Spinoza's back! Va bene?

I never left.
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #23038
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

You'd been off this thread for a while. Figured you were mad at us. :-D

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #23039
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
You'd been off this thread for a while. Figured you were mad at us. :-D
I just prefer reading about road projects.
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #23040
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, I tried a "I just want to look at the pretty pictures" policy, as you may recall, but it didn't last. Couldn't help myself.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways