daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #23061
bogdymol
bogdymod

Reading your experiences with your neighbors... I must say that people in our countries are very similar.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #23062
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9161

Do insurance in Italy cover damages made by volcanic ashes and rock fallout?

As about moron neighbors, it seems to be the same all over the world. Same things here, and we are an apartment building with 48 different apartments in 2 entrances, 9 underground garages with bad entrance... Roof is leaking although the building is just 7 years old (builder's warranty was 5 years)... And it's about more than half year we cannot take decision and collect money for the repairs. Now winter came and life for the ones on the last floors will be terrible quite a lot of months.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #23063
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Do insurance in Italy cover damages made by volcanic ashes and rock fallout?
Generally speaking, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insurance companies
sono esclusi i danni:
a)verificatisi in conseguenza di atti di guerra, insurrezioni, occupazioni militari, invasioni, terremoti, eruzioni vulcaniche;

b)verificatisi in conseguenza di esplosioni o emanazioni di calore o di radiazioni provenienti da trasmutazioni del nucleo dell’atomo, come pure in
conseguenza di radiazioni provocate dall’accelerazione artificiale di particelle atomiche

c)determinati od agevolati da dolo o colpa grave dell’assicurato, del contraente, delle persone con loro coabitanti, dei loro dipendenti o delle persone da loro incaricate della guida, riparazione o custodia
del veicolo o natante assicurato e dei trasportati;

d)derivanti dalla partecipazione del veicolo o natante a gare o competizioni sportive, alle relative prove ufficiali e alle verifiche preliminari e finali previste
nel regolamento particolare di gara;
Excluded:
a) damage occured during acts of war, insurrections, military occupations, invasions, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions;
b) damage due to explosions or irradiations from atoms and artificially accelerated particles;
c) damages due to guilt by the owner;
d) damages occured during races.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #23064
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

In my case the moron was the landlord of my last house (I moved 1 week ago): he never wanted to put money in the maintenance of the flat until one day the door of a cabinet fell and hit me in my face, and that's was only the beginning: the whole kitchen, the closet of the bedroom, the bathroom...

Thank good I moved to a better house.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #23065
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

And we have our first snow in Ingolstadt...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #23066
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

I must confess, apart from great friends I came here also to improve my English. And now I came across problem I can't figure out: the difference among that, which and (nothing). Okay, I think I know the difference in case of first two, but the last one is a mystery to me.

According to my experiences "which" is for non-restrictive / explainable subordinate clause, like.

I don't like McDonnald's food, which is very unhealthy (the clause describes / explains all McD foods)

I like girls, that have red hair (the clause restricts the set of all girls for those with red hair)

I like cake (nothing) made of strawberries.

I assume the last sentence is correct, but why should not I use "I like cake, that is made of strawberries?". Or can I use the sentence "I like girls their hair is red" (with nothing)?

Can I mix "that" with "nothing" up?

Furthermore I read on one forum, that "which" is used in British English, whereas "that" is pure American. So what is true?

Thanks a lot.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #23067
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

She said I got my first erection, which is not true vs she said I got my first erection, that is not true.

Can you tell the difference? Which is used both in British and American English.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #23068
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I must confess, apart from great friends I came here also to improve my English.
+1

volodaaaa liked this post
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #23069
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
I must confess, apart from great friends I came here also to improve my English. And now I came across problem I can't figure out: the difference among that, which and (nothing). Okay, I think I know the difference in case of first two, but the last one is a mystery to me.

According to my experiences "which" is for non-restrictive / explainable subordinate clause, like.

I don't like McDonnald's food, which is very unhealthy (the clause describes / explains all McD foods)

I like girls, that have red hair (the clause restricts the set of all girls for those with red hair)

I like cake (nothing) made of strawberries.

I assume the last sentence is correct, but why should not I use "I like cake, that is made of strawberries?". Or can I use the sentence "I like girls their hair is red" (with nothing)?

Can I mix "that" with "nothing" up?

Furthermore I read on one forum, that "which" is used in British English, whereas "that" is pure American. So what is true?

Thanks a lot.
I wouldn't put a comma in the "red hair" sentence. Also, where human beings are involved, like in that sentence, you have the option of saying "who" instead of that, and some purists would insist on "who."

"Cake made of strawberries" and "cake that is made of strawberries" mean exactly the same thing. For that matter, you can just say "girls with red hair."

I can't think at this point* of any basis to the idea that "which" is British and "that" is American.

*In a mid-making-Thanksgiving-dinner break.

EDIT: "Girls their hair is red" is not English - although I believe that construction works in Afrikaans, informal Dutch (we have plenty of people here more qualified than I to verify or contradict that) and some dialects of German. "Girls whose hair is red" does work.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #23070
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
She said I got my first erection, which is not true vs she said I got my first erection, that is not true.

Can you tell the difference? Which is used both in British and American English.
She had an...?

Oh, never mind.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #23071
Road_UK
BANNED

She had a....
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #23072
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I wouldn't put a comma in the "red hair" sentence. Also, where human beings are involved, like in that sentence, you have the option of saying "who" instead of that, and some purists would insist on "who."

"Cake made of strawberries" and "cake that is made of strawberries" mean exactly the same thing. For that matter, you can just say "girls with red hair."

I can't think at this point* of any basis to the idea that "which" is British and "that" is American.

*In a mid-making-Thanksgiving-dinner break.

EDIT: "Girls their hair is red" is not English - although I believe that construction works in Afrikaans, informal Dutch (we have plenty of people here more qualified than I to verify or contradict that) and some dialects of German. "Girls whose hair is red" does work.
Oh, thank you very much. Sometimes I am still confused. I really doubt about the American "that" and British "which" issue, but I have heard it not only once.

Quote:

And what about "She said I got my first erection, what is not true."?

Old November 28th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #23073
Road_UK
BANNED

No, that's not really English.

It must be a bit confusing with non-native English speakers on here to see a bit of a mishmash of British English speakers like myself and American English speakers like some of the Dutch on here and Michael...
Some of the spelling is a little different.
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #23074
volodaaaa

Quote:
No, that's not really English.

It must be a bit confusing with non-native English speakers on here to see a bit of a mishmash of British English speakers like myself and American English speakers like some of the Dutch on here and Michael...
Some of the spelling is a little different.
Yeah, it has been told many times that native speakers know exactly whether they talk to American, Briton, Australian etc. or non-native speaker, because they usually use mixture of different "Englishes".

Old November 28th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #23075
Road_UK
BANNED

You can tell when they're taking, although I believe Australian and British English spelling are completely the same. I'm not sure about Canadian, they nearly talk the same as US Americans, although I believe at least some of the spelling is the same. Perhaps Michael can shed a little light on that. French-Canadian is jibberish for the European Frenchman, resulting in all French-Canadian films being subtitled in France.
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #23076
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

And even so it's better than German. Nowadays, as a result of nationwide tv broadcasting, the situation is better, many people even in North speak Hochdeutsch ("official German", literally "high German") as a second language; but let's say 30 years ago someone from Hamburg hardly understood people from Munich, although both of them spoke German.
This local dialect of Cologne has more similarity to Dutch than to Hochdeutsch. Although I speak fluent German (with some grammar mistakes, though), I understand nothing of Kölsch (Cologne dialect).

Two weeks ago there was a Bavarian contestant in German "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" (called as "Wer wird Millionär?") and the host (Günther Jauch) did not always understand what he said, although both of them spoke German of course.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #23077
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I think people should not stop speaking dialect, it's part of their culture. But they should also know the high language to be able to communicate with the others.
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #23078
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I think people should not stop speaking dialect, it's part of their culture. But they should also know the high language to be able to communicate with the others.
I was really surprised when I've first time talked to my Slovak friend from Serbia - Vojvodina. He speaks like he just got out of time machine His dialect is so historical, full of strange archaisms

Also, there is a significant Hungarian majority in Southern Slovakia, but many of them admit the Hungarians from Hungary always recognize they are from Slovakia, because of specific Hungarian dialect.

Old November 29th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #23079
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Also, there is a significant Hungarian majority in Southern Slovakia, but many of them admit the Hungarians from Hungary always recognize they are from Slovakia, because of specific Hungarian dialect.
Yes, it is true, but we understand them easily.

Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #23080
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

It's the same for Romanians in Serbian Banat and Vojvodina for example. Their dialect is closer to the original then what we speak in RO. But even in Romanian Banat, you have differences of dialect between the 2 counties.

Our dialect was mixed with the other ones, so, some people now just have an accent, some use words and expressions only known there, majority of the latter is in rural places though, where dialect is best kept.

I understand that it's a similar thing about Hungarians in Romania, they are easily recognized by origin.

Last edited by cinxxx; November 29th, 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Tags
highways, motorways