daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #23261
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't use handbrake except on steep grades (which obviously are very rare in the Netherlands). They say the handbrake can freeze solid if applied in winter. I don't know whether that's true.

I have a kind of routine when going to drive. The first thing I do when I get into the car is putting on the seatbelt, then start the engine and then turn on the lights if necessary. When parking, I always reverse into a spot. I don't leave it in reverse when parked though, I always put it in first gear. I practically never put it in neutral except for leaving the engine running while parked for a short amount of time (for example to take a photo from an overpass).
Not even at traffic lights? (with the foot on the pedal brake if the road isn't perfectly flat)
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #23262
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Not even at traffic lights? (with the foot on the pedal brake if the road isn't perfectly flat)
No, just keep it in 1st gear and foot on brake if necessary
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #23263
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I keep it in first gear and clutch down at traffic lights. No reason to shift the stick to neutral position. There's also no reason to keep the brakes applied when waiting for a traffic light if the road is flat (except when you drive an automatic car).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #23264
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
I keep it in first gear and clutch down at traffic lights. No reason to shift the stick to neutral position. There's also no reason to keep the brakes applied when waiting for a traffic light if the road is flat (except when you drive an automatic car).
I rather use neutral, thus clutch don't have to be stepped down. Handbrake using only on level crossings and for parking on steep road I avoid in winter.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #23265
bogdymol
bogdymod

When I park my car I always put it in 1st gear + handbrake.

But 2 times I pulled the handbrake while the car was parked and I had some problems because I did that:
  1. One time I washed the car and then I went with it straight to my garage (~ 2 km). I parked it there, with the handbrake on, and I left it inside for 2 days (it was a week-end and I used my mother's car that week-end). When I wanted to use my car I turned the engine on, released the handbrake, put it in reverse, but I couldn't move the car. The brakes were still applied, although I released the handbrake. This was because a thin layer of rust formed on the brakes (remember that I washed the car previously). The (Romanian) solution: 2 hammer kicks at each wheel and it was as good as new.
  2. Second time, after I parked it with the handbrake on, I wanted to leave but the rear brakes were still applied. I had to call a towing truck that got my car into service and the rear brakes had to be changed.

Quote:
then turn on the lights if necessary
I always turn on my lights while I drive, no matter if it's day, night, city or rural road I'm driving on.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #23266
piotr71

Quote:
I don't use handbrake except on steep grades (which obviously are very rare in the Netherlands). They say the handbrake can freeze solid if applied in winter. I don't know whether that's true.
It could freeze up in older cars, I know taht. Not sure about modern vehicles.

Quote:
I have a kind of routine when going to drive. The first thing I do when I get into the car is putting on the seatbelt, then start the engine and then turn on the lights if necessary. When parking, I always reverse into a spot. I don't leave it in reverse when parked though, I always put it in first gear. I practically never put it in neutral except for leaving the engine running while parked for a short amount of time (for example to take a photo from an overpass)
This is exactly what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Applying handbrake and putting on neutral on red light slows the traffic down.
It's very common in the UK, where almost every driver do so. In the Netherlands or Germany, for example, cars move forward very quikly, as if they were connected to each other like the train carrriages. In Britain: one realise hanbrake, engage 1st gear and pull forward, a car behind waits till the one in front starts and then realise handbrake, engage gear and move forward, and so on.
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #23267
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Always I park with handbrake, but when I park on a hill I leave in gear.

EDIT: I remember once I took a trip: there was frost risk so I just used some bricks: No handbrake, no gear, just some bricks.

Last edited by Peines; December 6th, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #23268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Applying handbrake and putting on neutral on red light slows the traffic down.
It's very common in the UK, where almost every driver do so. In the Netherlands or Germany, for example, cars move forward very quikly, as if they were connected to each other like the train carrriages. In Britain: one realise hanbrake, engage 1st gear and pull forward, a car behind waits till the one in front starts and then realise handbrake, engage gear and move forward, and so on.
I noticed that as well. I always have the feeling (didn't exactly time it) that a long line of cars before a traffic light in the Netherlands accelerate rather quickly. Sometimes in another country I get the feeling "why is it taking everybody so long to get moving".
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #23269
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
It could freeze up in older cars, I know taht. Not sure about modern vehicles.
I always apply handbrake in all circumstances and it never froze even at -20°C. It is 14 years old Honda.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #23270
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I just put mine in Park. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #23271
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Europe we usually take a walk in the park, not leave the car there...

piotr71, keokiracer liked this post
Old December 7th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #23272
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Guys, have you ever noticed (except celebrities and other famous people) the more friends particular person on facebook has, the less friends has in real life and the more socially ankward is.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #23273
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

No. I've got 500sumfing friends on Facebook, and a large proportionate of them are real.

I always apply handbrake and leave it in neutral. I usually put my seat belt on when I'm already driving.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #23274
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

On a level surface - 2nd gear & handbrake
Facing up hill - 2nd gear & handbrake
Facing down hill - reverse gear & handbrake
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #23275
bogdymol
bogdymod

Why 2nd gear and not 1st gear?
Old December 7th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #23276
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

While I wait for a green light at traffic light, I always switch to neutral and relax my left leg. Moving on up hill after waiting at red light in a steep street (usually in Belgrade) is a real skill for people living in a plain (like me) - balancing clutch and gas and then putting down a hand brake...
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #23277
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I just put mine in Park. :-P
do you even know what gear-box is?
:eu:
Old December 7th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #23278
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Moving on up hill in a steep street (usually in Belgrade) is a real skill for people living in a plain (like me) - balancing clutch and gas and then putting down a hand brake...
Eh Belgrade its a puppy compared to this one Via dei Moreri, Trieste
One time i almost burn the clutch on this inferno road.
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #23279
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Eh Belgrade its a puppy compared to this one Via dei Moreri, Trieste
One time i almost burn the clutch on this inferno road.
Or Via dei Baiardi, Trieste
If the Google car didn't climb up there, there's a reason.
In some parts: 40%.

Broccolli liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #23280
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
do you even know what gear-box is?
:eu:
When my mother needed a new car in, like, her late 60s, she decided it would be fun to have a manual. We all thought she was crazy. (Except when it actually caused problems because the other car - my Dad's - was in the shop so she had to do the driving. I think she also did all the driving on trips to Europe until it became possible to rent automatics.)

My summer studying in France - this was, um, longer ago then I care to admit (there was still an Iron Curtain and would be for a few more years) - someone referred to automatics as "the lazy American way of driving."

But I learned on automatics and am used to them. A friend (even longer ago than said summer in France) tried to teach me to drive his genuine Beetle but I couldn't deal with the third pedal. Fortunately, we were in a deserted parking lot at the time. That was the end of my manual-transmission-driving career. I just don't feel the need.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways