daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #23321
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

You've probably never heard of Garrison Keillor, but he had (probably still has...haven't listened in ages) a public radio show on Saturday evenings here, sort of an old-fashioned variety show like they would have had before television. A highlight was his stories from his (fictitious) home town of Lake Wobegon (pronounced woebegone), Minnesota, and the tag line at the end of the stories was "And that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking [or something like that], and all the children are above average."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #23322
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Someone from Ljubljana outskirts won 21 million euros at EuroJackpot. :O Lucky bastard.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #23323
bogdymol
bogdymod

I personally like the Spanish lottery more. I heard that they, instead of giving one great prize of €21 Million, they give many smaller prizes of €200k. This means that instead of just one lucky guy that will win so much money he can't even count, there will be 100 winners of €200k that will surely help improve their lives (new house... paying debts etc.).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #23324
bogdymol
bogdymod

I personally like the Spanish lottery more. I heard that they, instead of giving one great prize of €21 Million, they give many smaller prizes of €200k. This means that instead of just one lucky guy that will win so much money he can't even count, there will be 100 winners of €200k that will surely help improve their lives (new house... paying debts etc.).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #23325
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Do not forget the loterry is bussiness too. No charity. They are much more profitable by giving the huge jackpot once a time than giving lesser money to more people more frequently.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #23326
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Hang on, I'm searching for the video on youtube about it
So, any luck?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #23327
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
So, any luck?
It was episode from Czech automobile related show. The car was an old 1998 VW Polo. It was an experiment and therefore only few of kind were manufactured. I remember only the fact about the transmission and owner's complains over small range (less than 200 km) per one recharging. I also remember the self retractor electrical plug stored beneath licence plate.

Old December 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #23328
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
That's the whole point, otherwise you can play the Slovenian lottery, which has much lower prizes (not that I'd complain about winning 1 million euros though). PS: €21M is exactly the annual budget of the lucky guy's municipality (Grosuplje).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #23329
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

O, the weather outside is frightful!

Heavy snow here today, at least for a bit. We were expecting snow but not much.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #23330
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

I'm just outside Milan and there's a super dense fog. But who cares, I'm doing 200 on a train

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #23331
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I don't have to go anywhere, so it doesn't bother me. (I do have to move my car in the morning because the spot it's in becomes illegal at 8 a.m., but the precipitation's supposed to turn to rain long before that, so hopefully I won't even need to clean the snow off the car.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #23332
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I'm just outside Milan and there's a super dense fog. But who cares, I'm doing 200 on a train
I had to drive in the fog today . Luckily the return trip was fog-free.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #23333
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
So, any luck?
Finally, I have found it! I confused the car colour and type. It was not green Polo but blue Golf.

The whole video is in the Czech language

At 3:10 he starts talking about the importance of rpm display due to specific sound of the engine. The driver talks he had several cars with gasoline-engine and know how to shift according to the sound, what is obviously not possible here. You can see the ordinary manual gearstick in the car.

Everything that was said in this video imply him to bethe first owner of an electric car in CZ trying to register it, thus to got Czech LPs. It took him 2 years, but he encourages other electromobile owners to do it since he make the Czech offices got ready for it. Also, he points out that his car is not required to undergo the emission check (green LP sticker) (only technical (red one) ).

Last edited by volodaaaa; December 8th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #23334
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
O, the weather outside is frightful!

Heavy snow here today, at least for a bit. We were expecting snow but not much.
And how reality in your place looks? :P Always when there's heavy snow in the US it's mandatory noticed in TV news here and always it's like some armageddon :P

But who - except Americans - deserves that armageddon

We bought once a car freshly brought from America, a 2005 VW New Beetle and it had shitty universal tires, instead of decent winter ones - no one cares that using more than one type of tires a year is compulsory for driving safely in hard weather conditions?

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #23335
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

Quote:
I drove this morning from Brescia to Turin. 250 km of non-stop fog.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #23336
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Did you take a detour?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #23337
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Did you take a detour?
Why?
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #23338
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Why?
According to Google, Brescia - Torino it's just 230km but probably g.spinoza went via Piacenza to avoid possible queues on the Milan's urban part of the A4.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #23339
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Sorry, I actually misread "Milan", so it seemed a bit long...

Old December 9th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #23340
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
According to Google, Brescia - Torino it's just 230km but probably g.spinoza went via Piacenza to avoid possible queues on the Milan's urban part of the A4.
Nothing can make me drive Milan A4. A21 is a bit longer but infinitely faster. Also, my workplace is in south Turin, so A21 is much more convenient.

Tags
highways, motorways