daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:35 PM   #23481
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

And the world champion is: BRAZIL. Very unexpected but very deserved.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:32 AM   #23482
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Interesting... to say the least
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:04 AM   #23483
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Can you post it a bit bigger please?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #23484
bogdymol
bogdymod

g.co/santatracker
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM   #23485
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

good off-topic. What about christmas gift bringer? Who comes to you? I think, in some countries, like Germany, Christkind comes on south, whereas Weinachtsmann on north.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #23486
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

In Central Italy, or at least in Marche, until not many years ago the gift bringer was the Befana, a lovely but ugly old lady riding a broom like a witch, on January 6th (Befana and Epiphany share a common linguistic root). In Brescia it's Saint Lucy, on December 13th, who brings gifts. Both are now receding before the imported Babbo Natale...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #23487
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

A Lego car - drivable:

Machine is really noteworthy.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #23488
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-9021768.html

Quote:

Humans in Iceland are standing up for the rights of elves – and not because Father Christmas works them too hard.

Elf advocates have joined forces with environmentalists to urge the Icelandic Road and Coastal Commission and local authorities to abandon a highway project because it might disturb the creatures' habitat.

The activists are particularly concerned about an elf church that sits on the potential site.

The proposed highway would offer a direct route from the Alftanes peninsula, where President Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson has a home, to the Reykjavik suburb of Gardabaer.

In a survey conducted by the University of Iceland in 2007, 62 per cent of those asked thought it was at least possible that the critters exist.
Something new to ponder over.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #23489
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Just had the second scariest driving experience of my life. Went to visit Elcito, a beautiful semi-abandoned town in the mountains of my home region. On the way back home I took a road that climbs up to 1200 m on the western slopes of Monte San Vicino. Result: 5 km of downhill road, completely icy. Went off road (towards the mountain side, thank god) and got stuck in the snow, until two gentlemen came and helped me free my car.

I got winter tires, but they are not new. Guess I have to change them.
Old December 24th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #23490
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

no winter tires would help if it was completely icy. they help, but crap anyways happens.

bogdymol liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #23491
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Just had the second scariest driving experience of my life. Went to visit Elcito, a beautiful semi-abandoned town in the mountains of my home region. On the way back home I took a road that climbs up to 1200 m on the western slopes of Monte San Vicino. Result: 5 km of downhill road, completely icy. Went off road (towards the mountain side, thank god) and got stuck in the snow, until two gentlemen came and helped me free my car.

I got winter tires, but they are not new. Guess I have to change them.
X-type afore is right, but it might be indeed the matter of age as well. On my previous car, I drove on old winter tires. they might had roughtly 5 or 6 years and there was an intersection in Bratislava, that was always slippy during acceleration. I got flat tire and unfortunately had to purchase brand new set of winter tires. First time I have almost crushed on the mentioned intersection because I accelerated and the car launched forward like a rocket

Now I have another car with old winter tires too. I am definitely decided to change them soon (in next season). It is really tricky, because you have false feeling of safety inward, but the tires act like they are almost summer ones. They are too hard if is chilling outside.

Old December 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #23492
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

When my tires were new, I drove uphill an icy ramp with no problems, so I guess it's definitely a matter of age.
Old December 25th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #23493
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Winter/snow tires are softer than normal tires and therefore aging has more effect on hardness. My previous winter tires were not good already at the end of 2012 but at that time I decided to wait another winter as first part of the winter was pretty mild. However in January I had to drive up to 160 km daily and as ordered the most snowy winter of last 50 years began which lasted until April. Driving on snowy motorways was very difficult thing and often on the brink of hitting some side guardrail or checking side ditch depth.

This year i brought new tires but until now no snow in sight. Still they are much better already in rain on bad slippery tarmac, incomparable to old tires.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #23494
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
good off-topic. What about christmas gift bringer? Who comes to you? I think, in some countries, like Germany, Christkind comes on south, whereas Weinachtsmann on north.
In Finland, this person is called Joulupukki, Father Christmas or Santa Claus in English. He lives in Korvatunturi, which is a distant place in the North, close to the Russian border. He visits the families on the Christmas Eve, when the children are awake. He never enters though the chimney, because that would be ridiculous in an country where the fireplaces really are used for heating or fire, not for decoration. Instead, he knocks the door (never uses the doorbell). He travels by a helicopter, or by a sleign pulled by reindeer. He never says hoo-hoo-hoo like his colleague in the US.

The presents are given to the hands of the receiver. No Christmas stockings are in use. Another option is that the presents appear on under the Christmas tree. Such an arrangement is typical when the S.C. is not making his visit.

For adults only: Santa Claus is usually some member of the family, a friend to the family or someone from the neighbourhood. In addition, there is a big Santa Claus business on Dec 24th. A hired S.C. makes a 10-15 minute visit to a family, talks to the children and starts delivering the presents. A professional S.C. might be able to make visits to 10-15 families. He plans the route carefully and scouts the parking places etc in advance.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #23495
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Meanwhile in Italy (the sign says 'no littering')
https://maps.google.it/maps?ll=45.95...,256.8,,1,7.99
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #23496
bogdymol
bogdymod

One week-old motorway in Romania. The parking lot was also opened, but the toilet building is closed and there are no garbage bins:

http://s18.postimg.org/5wahj0g15/autostrada_noi_3.jpg
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #23497
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
One week-old motorway in Romania. The parking lot was also opened, but the toilet building is closed and there are no garbage bins:

http://s18.postimg.org/5wahj0g15/autostrada_noi_3.jpg
All the trash in a single corner and not scattered around. It looks like there was a trash bin before but someone emptied it on the ground and stole it.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #23498
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Seems like the other corner is used as a toilet.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #23499
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9111

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Christkind (or, actually, dzieciątko) of course! It's some reminder of German times here. But I don't think so that dzieciątko is coming somewhere outside Silesia (or even Upper Silesia) in Poland.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.

Last edited by MajKeR_; December 28th, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #23500
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
Christkind (or, actually, dzieciątko) of course! It's some reminder of German times here. But I don't think so that dzieciątko is coming somewhere outside Silesia (or ever Upper Silesia) in Poland.
We have christkind too, i think as well as in austria, hungary, czech republic and germany (southern). It might be a reminisence of austro-hungarian times. We have also saint nicolaus, but he comes at night between 5th and 6th december and brings sweets to good children and onion, garlic, potatoes and piece of coal to bad ones :-)

nbcee liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways