daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #23641
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
And try to do that with your boyfriend!
Or two girls kissing each other

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #23642
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

It's not much better in assholland. People really think Poland is a third world country where the far majority lives in deep poverty. And typically the most opinionated people have never been there.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #23643
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's not much better in assholland. People really think Poland is a third world country where the far majority lives in deep poverty. And typically the most opinionated people have never been there.
I can't explain it, even some people in Slovakia think that there is no heat water in apartments in Ukraine East is somehow unpopular no matter where are you. Maybe we should blame media.

Old January 8th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #23644
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

This reminds me of a Swiss border guard who in 2010 had no idea that Estonia was in the EU and Schengen...
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #23645
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11831

i always tell other people that eastern europe is only poor by european standards. most of the planets other countries are way more poor than f.e. my native, Hungary. somehow i think its important to remember this.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #23646
piotr71

Part of my current East European purchase. I've bought more than 40 bottles of wine when visiting Poland and some funny speaking West Slavic nations South of Polish border

image hosted on flickr

From the other hand, my partner was involved in helping a chap, who was enslaved by gypsies in the UK. He was completely exhausted when she had met him and only person he wanted to talk to was a catholic priest. Gypsies kept him for more than two years, he slept on floor, worked 12 hours a day and obviously wasn't paid. Luckily, he escaped and with help of some good people (does not speak English) he informed police about what happened.
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #23647
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I think the only wine bottle from Eastern Europe I ever saw was one of Romanian white wine.

Quote:
Well, you don't know what I think is Greece right now .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #23648
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Until 1989 Eastern European countries here in the West were seen like it was another continent (like we currently see East Asia, Central Africa, South America). Despite the geographical and cultural (Mittle-European heritage) proximity, there were huge political and economical contrasts and there weren't many exchanges between the two blocks. People studied that there were Western European countries and Eastern European countries.
No wonder that many people think that Poland or Romania are closer to Nigeria or Pakistan rather than Italy or France...

I think that the anti-immigration sentiment in Western Europe is generated mostly by two reasons:
- Fear for crime: if an immigrant commit a crime, everybody know it, if 100 immigrants work, nobody know them.
- Demographical reasons: in those years of economical crisis and high unemployment, where there's no job for every citizen, a lot of immigration (especially unskilled, uneducated people with no money and house) don't help.
I hope there are few people who oppose immigration for merely "racial purity" issues, like they were still in the 1930s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
This reminds me of a Swiss border guard who in 2010 had no idea that Estonia was in the EU and Schengen...
I wonder how many Europeans can locate Estonia on a blank map or tell what is its capital.
A guy I knew though that Estonia was somewhere between Croatia and Greece.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #23649
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

In Italy foreigners make up 50% of the prison population, but less than 10% of the general population. A certain degree of "fear of the foreigners" seems to be motivated.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #23650
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Probably figures will be the same, if not worse, in France (the infamous banlieues).

It would be interesting to have statistical data about the relationship between wealth level and propensity to commit crimes for various nationalities\ethnic groups. We would know if crime level of certain ethnic groups are higher because they're poorer or they have less "legality culture".
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #23651
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Part of my current East European purchase. I've bought more than 40 bottles of wine when visiting Poland and some funny speaking West Slavic nations South of Polish border
Egri Bikaver for red and Tokaji for white are my favourite Hungarian vines. Do you have a bottle of Egri Bikaver? On the other hand I have never tried any Bulgarian vine.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #23652
piotr71

The one next to Tokaji Aszu is Egri Bikaver. I also have 2 others not seen on the image.
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #23653
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In Italy foreigners make up 50% of the prison population, but less than 10% of the general population. A certain degree of "fear of the foreigners" seems to be motivated.
Would be interesting to know the how many and from what country they are
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #23654
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

central / eastern Europeans are culturally much more closely related to western Europeans than earlier waves of immigrants from southwest Asia and North Africa in the 1960s and 1970s.

In the U.S. nobody really notices the difference between Americans from western European or Eastern European heritage. They are just Caucasians, whether their name is Kosciusko or Van Buren.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #23655
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I think the only wine bottle from Eastern Europe I ever saw was one of Romanian white wine.

Well, you don't know what I think is Greece right now .
Well, Greece is typical case how media manipulates and emphasize problems. Our media reported almost civil war in Greece in 2010: nothing was working, everyone was on strike, people are aggressive etc. I had booked apartment for summer holiday and been indeed afraid of situation in there.

But... everything was as usual. People were polite, each stranger became best friend soon, and people were indeed thankful. I have never doubt about critical economical problem Greece was in, but just want to tell you, that media made dumb lazy fat person of every Greek.

The same goes here over Americans. Americans are described here by media as stupid fat people. But any media can't explain, why American scientist were given Nobel prize but our greatest and wisest Slovak ones have not been yet.

Personally, I would be a little bit affraid of any Muslim from far east, yeah I would, because he is exotic to me and people are always afraid of strange unknown stuff (film genre of horror is basically based on it), but I see no reason why to be afraid of German, Italian, Serb or Briton.

Old January 8th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #23656
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5860

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Well this is something I will have never understood. I would not like to insult anyone, but Western cities are full of people with different belief, different culture, with different, perhaps opposite opinions on women, criminality, family etc. and this is totally okay. Because it is under the prism of multiculturalism and political correctness.

But Eastern Europeans are seen like something to be afraid of, though our culture and basic being questions are rather similar if not the same.

Well, just try to let you girlfriend wear miniskirt and offshoulder top in Berlin, Milano, Sofia, Lviv and Islamabad and see the difference. Or just lay down with your girlfriend at beach and kiss her belly button. From cultural view, there are almost no differences among Great Britain, Spain, Greece, Romania, Poland etc. So why are they so sensitive over Eastern Europe?
"Classisism". We know that "class" played a major role in the past all over Europe, and those who see themselves on top, love to belittle and demean those they deem beneath. To them Eastern Europeans are "low class" brutes who they don't want moving in next door to them. People from more distant cultures are more accepted, but only "under a veil" not in reality. The vail of political correctness forces them to accept, but they do so with the mentality "they are primitives who need our help since they can't help themselves back home". Plus it feels good to demean others, it makes one feel better about themselves. I'm not saying it is right, "class" is just another form of racism, but it takes a lot of willpower and self awareness to correct this tendency. Some of us can do it, but for others, especially those who are emotionally lazy, hide behind rumors, innuendo, and justifications because they are just too lazy to apply a bit of willpower over themselves and do the right thing.

AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #23657
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Would be interesting to know the how many and from what country they are
I remembered wrong, in 2013 foreigners are 35.1%. But I'm pretty sure in 2008 they were more.

Foreign nationalities in Italian brigs:

18,6% Morocco,
16,1% Romania
12,2% Tunisia
12,2% Albania.

Female prisoners:
26,1% Romania
9,8% Nigeria
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #23658
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
In the U.S. nobody really notices the difference between Americans from western European or Eastern European heritage. They are just Caucasians, whether their name is Kosciusko or Van Buren.
Indeed. (Speaking as a -ski myself....)

My father could remember a time (the 40s) when employment ads for Wall Street jobs often read "WASP only." That's illegal now.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #23659
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I remembered wrong, in 2013 foreigners are 35.1%. But I'm pretty sure in 2008 they were more.

Foreign nationalities in Italian brigs:

18,6% Morocco,
16,1% Romania
12,2% Tunisia
12,2% Albania.

Female prisoners:
26,1% Romania
9,8% Nigeria
So do you see a Romanian and think "criminal"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #23660
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So do you see a Romanian and think "criminal"?
I'm not sure I can recognize someone as Romanian just by looking at him (but when I see a gypsy I change my path)

Tags
highways, motorways