daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #23681
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Como municipality borders Switzerland through Monte Olimpino, Ponte Chiasso and Sagnino suburbs, so I'd say it counts.

Given that much of the Italian border runs through main Alpine watershed, there aren't many transnational conurbations. Ventimiglia and Menton, though adjacent, are kind of separated by pretty much nothing.
Tirano is very close to the Swiss border, but there's not much on the other side.
Do you perhaps know how many people live on the Swiss side (Chiasso with suburbs)?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #23682
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

Do you perhaps know how many people live on the Swiss side (Chiasso with suburbs)?
Cant be sure but i'd say not more than 10-15k.

I locked myself out of my home... I'm waiting for the landlord to come with his spare keys... he lives in a town outside Turin...

I think he's gonna raise my rent.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #23683
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #23684
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3998

Google car in the eye of the other Google car in the wasteland of Australia:

http://goo.gl/maps/JQ9Zf
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #23685
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

A good joke:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing
on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop!
don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"
He said, "Like what?"
I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"
He said, "Religious."
I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?"
He said,"Christian."
I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?"
He said, "Baptist!"
I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or
baptist church of the lord?"
He said, "Baptist church of god!"
I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god,
or are you reformed baptist church of god?"
He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!"
I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god,
reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god,
reformation of 1915?"
He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!"
I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #23686
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Today was my first day at high school as a teacher. The older students (16+) were all right, were concentrated and seemingly got everything I'd said.

But younger (13 yrs old) were like in hell. First, they laughed at pigeon behind the window for 10 minutes, then a student had to drew an outline of Europe on my demand at blackboard . The rest spent another 10 minutes laughing at his art by comparing it with hippopotamus. It was not funny at all.
A newly-hired teacher of young, raucous children draws a cucumber on the blackboard. She asks the students what it is. A student replies, "a dick!". The teacher runs off crying. Soon, principal comes in and shouts at the particular student, "first you were skipping class and now, and now you draw a dick on the blackboard?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I sort of spent 10 minutes of one of my classes today looking at a pigeon in front of another class window
I once spent some minutes looking at two seagulls standing on the ground during a heavy snowstorm, while in my office

I noted it to my colleagues, and together we spent 10 minutes observing the birds outside window

It seemed the two birds were having an amusing conversation, maybe one said "hey, you said we were going south!" "should have asked for directions!" etc.

volodaaaa liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #23687
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Google car in the eye of the other Google car in the wasteland of Australia:

http://goo.gl/maps/JQ9Zf
They are together, driving in the same direction.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #23688
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Still no Streetview in Slovenia...
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #23689
bogdymol
bogdymod

You can see it from Italy or Hungary, no problem.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

cinxxx, RipleyLV liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #23690
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

or even Croatia
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:50 AM   #23691
marmurr1916

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Well I used the sign for a reason. But to be a bit sincere sometimes you have to be very accurate when you refer to a country:
British Isles? Don't think so. Ireland isn't British - vast majority of the people have never wanted it to be and still don't want it to be. What's so hard about saying 'Britain and Ireland' if you want to refer to the two together? It's one extra word.
marmurr1916 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #23692
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

The rest of the English-speaking world does in fact use "British Isles" to refer to those islands, whether you like it or not. And they're (we're) not doing it consciously to demean the Irish, just using the language as we learned it. I mean no offense, but saying "what's so hard about saying 'Britain and Ireland'?" is just irrelevant. Language doesn't work that way. A sustained campaign to convince English-speaking people that "British Isles" is offensive to the Irish might, just might, work, if it was kept up for several decades....

Heck, the Irish, Americans, Scots and so on might just as well complain about the very name of the language.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #23693
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13996

We've been talking about this. The thing is that the British isles refers to a "purely geographical" entity while the British Islands refers to a political one.
Quote:
I believe this settles it:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpretation Act 1978
“British Islands” means the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. [1889]
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/.../British-Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopaedia Britannica
British Isles, group of islands off the northwestern coast of Europe. The group consists of two main islands, Great Britain and Ireland, and numerous smaller islands and island groups, including the Hebrides, the Shetland Islands, the Orkney Islands, the Isles of Scilly, and the Isle of Man. Some also include the Channel Islands in this grouping. Although the term British Isles has a long history of common usage, it has become increasingly controversial, especially for some in Ireland who object to its connotation of political and cultural connections between Ireland and the United Kingdom.
And here's the example of Margaret island in Budapest. If you are talking about it "in a geographichal way" it has to be written as Margit-sziget. But if you are referring to the area as a part of District XIII it's Margitsziget.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

volodaaaa liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #23694
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
We've been talking about this. The thing is that the British isles refers to a "purely geographical" entity while the British Islands refers to a political one.

And here's the example of Margaret island in Budapest. If you are talking about it "in a geographichal way" it has to be written as Margit-sziget. But if you are referring to the area as a part of District XIII it's Margitsziget.

There are many, almost countless examples in whole World. But I would like to correct you. All you mentioned are geographical entities, but some are physical geographical, whereas some human geographical.

It has been common to name islands according cities, or cities according rivers flowing through. Very good examples are Greek islands.

Capital city of Thassos island is Thassos city, Korfu (Kerkyra) on Korfu (Kerkyra), etc.

In Slovakia, we have city called Poprad on River Poprad. Or city called Vysoké Tatry what is mountain range as well. And the fun fact is, that while it is correct to translate range's name to English as "High Tatras", it is not possible in case of city.

New York is city and state as well.

But I must confess, I have not known about the difference between British isles and islands. Here in Slovakia we called it "ostrovy" (islands) in both cases and it is up to certain context whether you have to define which entity you mean. I have thought the notion "isle" refers to "small island", been I wrong?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #23695
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13996

The name of the country Luxembourg is Luxemburg in Hungarian but its capitol is still Luxembourg.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #23696
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

In Friuli near Udine there's a town called Campofomido, where in 1797 was signed the Treaty of Campoformio, that dissolved the Venetian Republic and gave its territory to the Austrian empire.
In southern Friuli there are two rivers called Ausa and Corno. At their confluence near the Adriatic sea there is a big industrial zone called Aussa-Corno and there is the "strada provinciale dell'Aussa-Corno".
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #23697
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I have thought the notion "isle" refers to "small island", been I wrong?
I think "isle" is just archaic / old way to say island (in French also), but "islet" is a small island (usually like rock that shows up in the water sometimes, even that stupid thing the Japanese and Chinese are arguing about is too big )
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #23698
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Indeed.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #23699
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

[/IMG]
Always with the caveat that (I'd guess) the vast majority of native speakers of English are unfamiliar with the term "British Islands," which shows up in U.K. legal terminology but not (as far as I know) elsewhere.

(Actually, are "the British Islands" a political entity, or just several political entities - the U.K., the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey - in a particular geographical area of the Commonwealth?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #23700
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Nice one mod(s).
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways