daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:05 PM   #23861
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
13.5 inches...about 34 cm. 9th biggest snowfall on record here, says today's paper.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:08 PM   #23862
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

13.5 inches...about 34 cm
Who wants to know how many inches I've got?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:13 PM   #23863
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm not biting.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:21 PM   #23864
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Meanwhile in China:

This driver didn't want to pay 50 pence worth of toll to cross the river, so decided to cross over the ice...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-50p-toll.html
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:29 PM   #23865
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Sometimes people complain when certain minorities are subjected to discrimination. But what about when the majority is discriminated by the state or public administration who favour the minorities and penalize the rest of the people to show its "political correctness"?
Here, due to the crisis, many people lost their job, can't pay the rent or let their children study, many elderly people have retirement wages as low as 400€\month and are showed like criminals if they steal a piece of bread in the shop because otherwise they wouldn't eat.
Meanwhile, the municipality of Turin gave for free those houses to minorities...
http://www.mondoinformazione.com/not...torino/136234/
IMHO those fake "politically correct" policies have the opposite effect, they don't help minorities to be integrated, since they fuel racist sentiment and natives hate them because they see them as "privileged".
I think that everybody deserves the same right regardeless its etnic group, so please also give those privileges to Italians who need them!

That is it. But don't forget some minorities are not protected whereas some are.

Common newspaper titles are:
"Slovak citizen has been arrested in Austria for stealing in shop"
"Hungarian youngsters set fire to Slovak flag"
"12 years old youngster has killed his mum for money"

While the discussion in first two is allowed, it is blocked in latter one. I bet you'll guess right why

We had a case here in Slovakia - the main person is called Oskar Dobrovodsky. The house after his neighbours was given to family of The Minority. They demolished it soon and started to behave very wildly.

Dobrovodsky started to have conflicts with them and tried to fight against them in fully legal way. He has even created a blog or rather diary where he published any correspondence with respective offices. The neighbouring family was noisy, dirty and breaking all common laws necessary for peaceful being.

How has he ended up? Unfortunately, Kotleba (Slovak anti-Roma nacionalist - I don't agree with him, because he is just stupidest form of populism) wanted to have a small talks with Dobrovodsky and then, Dobrovodsky was marked as racist in media All politicians abuse him in political fights against Kotleba and policemen decided to ignore him.

Now he is considering to sell his house, rapidly under the market value (actually I wonder who would buy his house after such media coverage) and moving to apartment house. As of 2014, there is 38 Roma people living in small neighbouring house.

I am not racist, but I think law enforcement should be equal for everyone. Mankind, or rather north-Atlantic society will regret this positive racism one day.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:49 PM   #23866
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Sigh.

Anyhow, they're now talking of a (slight) possibility of another sizeable snowstorm Sunday.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:53 PM   #23867
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
We had a case here in Slovakia - the main person is called Oskar Dobrovodsky. The house after his neighbours was given to family of The Minority. They demolished it soon and started to behave very wildly.

Dobrovodsky started to have conflicts with them and tried to fight against them in fully legal way. He has even created a blog or rather diary where he published any correspondence with respective offices. The neighbouring family was noisy, dirty and breaking all common laws necessary for peaceful being.

Now he is considering to sell his house, rapidly under the market value (actually I wonder who would buy his house after such media coverage) and moving to apartment house. As of 2014, there is 38 Roma people living in small neighbouring house.

I am not racist, but I think law enforcement should be equal for everyone. Mankind, or rather north-Atlantic society will regret this positive racism one day.
Sounds very familiar to many cases in Romania...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:56 PM   #23868
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Imagine you have a neighbour, the same ethnicity and religion of you, who play loud music at night, throw trash on your garden, scratch your car, occupy your propertry... I guess you would report him to the police because you've the right to defend your propertry and nobody can say that's uncorrect. And why it should be different if he belongs to a minority?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

volodaaaa liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:13 PM   #23869
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It shouldn't.

But law enforcement is one thing; remedying past discrimination is another.

Extreme example, but the U.S. couldn't just abolish slavery and say to the slaves "OK, you're free, now fend for yourselves like everyone else." There needed to be some measures to make up for the fact that they were (mostly) uneducated. (It was illegal, in slave states, to teach slaves to read and write, although many owners did anyway.)

Similarly, if a minority is systematically excluded from the educational system and the better jobs, at what point does it become "unfair" to have measures in place to take that into account? I don't have the answer to that question, but that's part of the "problem."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:18 PM   #23870
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
It shouldn't.

But law enforcement is one thing; remedying past discrimination is another.

Extreme example, but the U.S. couldn't just abolish slavery and say to the slaves "OK, you're free, now fend for yourselves like everyone else." There needed to be some measures to make up for the fact that they were (mostly) uneducated. (It was illegal, in slave states, to teach slaves to read and write, although many owners did anyway.)

Similarly, if a minority is systematically excluded from the educational system and the better jobs, at what point does it become "unfair" to have measures in place to take that into account? I don't have the answer to that question, but that's part of the "problem."
Yeah, but the problem you would realize you are facing is that The Minority doesn't voluntarily want to "learn write and read" figuratively speaking.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:22 PM   #23871
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Every single member of it?

(I knew I should have just gone on talking about the weather... self- )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:32 PM   #23872
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Every single member of it?

(I knew I should have just gone on talking about the weather... self- )
No, not every single member. It is just the practical problem you face. Ignoring the problem, because not everyone is problematic, won't ever solve the problem.

You realize that you should not ignore it when you hear that even the elites of The Minority sees this as a problem. Thus exactly those exceptions - they will point out the cultural mentality differences that cause that The Minority falls behind.

Btw. it is then interesting to hear from The Minority about that those "not every single members" are betraying The Minority.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:59 PM   #23873
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

To divert the topic from gypsies: volodaaaa, you didn't answer my question.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:31 PM   #23874
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Where's the border at the Black Sea? In Tuapse?
It is pretty difficult question. I don't know the continent division in other countries, but here in Slovakia, two major concepts are taught. Unfortunately both has the same translation in English.

Kontinenty (continents) are based on physical geography, mostly on lithospheric plates. According to this division, we have following continents: North America, South America, Euroasia, Africa, Australia and Antarctica. Euroasia is never broken down into Europe and Asia since there is no reason to do that.

Svetadiely (continents, but literally world-parts) are based on cultural differences. "World-parts" are as follows: America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and Antarctica. And then the problem emerges, because there is no exact boundary between Europe and Asia. But the most used respects the country borders except Russia, where the Ural mountain range is perceived as a divider.

(note, Antarctica is not depicted on this picture)
And if we talk about country borders, or rather sets of countries continents consists of, we may group them by different ways. As I have told you, the major problem is with Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. Sometimes they are considered as a part of Europe, sometimes as part of Asia. Perhaps it depends on particular purpose in practice. All aforementioned countries are taught under Asia chapter in Slovak geography textbooks.

Verso liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:53 PM   #23875
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

I'm asking because geographically, Sochi should be in Asia, but putting Novorossiysk in Asia as well seems kind of silly to me. It's hard to draw an ideal line between them.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:03 PM   #23876
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I'm asking because geographically, Sochi should be in Asia, but putting Novorossiysk in Asia as well seems kind of silly to me. It's hard to draw an ideal line between them.
You can't just draw lines wherever you want. Division between Asia and Europe following the country borders seems logical to me. But Caucasus is the obvious problem. Culturally, they are much more closer to north-Atlantic society than eg. Kazakhstan and other Arabic countries nearby, but they are indeed not pure European.

There are lot of disputable territories: e.g. Cyprus or Turkey. Turkey is culturally far away from Europe, but according to Economical relations it is de facto part of Europe (migration and commuting of Gastarbeiters is the clear proof)

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:09 PM   #23877
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:26 PM   #23878
bogdymol
bogdymod

And Google Street View pics taken on the track: http://goo.gl/maps/JO1uV
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:36 PM   #23879
italystf

The usual definition of the border is: Ural watershed, Ural river, Caspian sea, Caucasus watershed, Black sea, Marmara sea, Aegean sea.
Cyprus, Armenia, Anatolia, eastern Greek islands are in Asia. The parts of Georgia and Azerbaijan north of the Caucasus watershed and the part of Kazakhstan west of the Ural river is in Europe.
In Russia there are even signs "end Europe beginning Asia" at bridges over Ural river and on Ural mountains.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:37 PM   #23880
italystf

Canaries, Azores, Madeira, Ceuta, Melilla and Lampedusa are considered part of Africa, Greenland part of North America.

Tags
highways, motorways