daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:39 PM   #23881
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Canaries, Azores, Madeira, Ceuta, Melilla and Lampedusa are considered part of Africa, Greenland part of North America.
And there is even French Guyana in Southern America depicted on Euro banknotes

Btw. I have heard, that Europe map on Euro banknotes has one defect made purposely. As I have been looking for it, I have found only one, Thassos island in Greece is moved too southbound, but I am not sure about it.

Last edited by volodaaaa; January 23rd, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:11 PM   #23882
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

No Cyprus on the euro banknotes, even though euro is currency of Cyprus (since 2008).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
And Google Street View pics taken on the track: http://goo.gl/maps/JO1uV
Photos taken in October 2013. What about Google Street View images of Slovenia taken in July or August 2013?
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:12 PM   #23883
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Bitch, please

Personally I put the Europe-Asia border in the Caucasus area on the Kura river, effectively dividing Tbilisi (Or was it Atlanta?) between two continents.

By the way, I'm going to do a lap around the Top Gear test track on Street View.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:20 PM   #23884
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Bitch, please

...Or was it Atlanta?...
niiice

Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:48 PM   #23885
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
And there is even French Guyana in Southern America depicted on Euro banknotes

Btw. I have heard, that Europe map on Euro banknotes has one defect made purposely. As I have been looking for it, I have found only one, Thassos island in Greece is moved too southbound, but I am not sure about it.
They drawed French oversea departments on euro notes because they use the euro, but it doesn't make them part of Europe. New 5€ notes do have Cyprus and Malta.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:50 PM   #23886
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
niiice
Ah! Didn't get that....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:53 PM   #23887
italystf

Various definitions of the Europe - Asia border. The red one is presented as "the most commonly adopted", although I think that the Russian Caucasus is usually considered Europe.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

volodaaaa liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:05 PM   #23888
italystf

Here the theory is much different: in red is presented the "modern border" and in yellow all the old ones.

volodaaaa liked this post
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #23889
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

That's why Kazakhstan plays football in UEFA.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #23890
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
What did it mean (Estonian road rage videos). Small ***** confessions or what?
Most likely, yes.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #23891
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Smoking in Serbia will be completely banned in restaurants, hotels, cafes and all the other restaurants by 2015
http://trojka.rs/vesti/drustvo/total...a-pusenja-2015
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #23892
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Smoking in Serbia will be completely banned in restaurants, hotels, cafes and all the other restaurants by 2015
http://trojka.rs/vesti/drustvo/total...a-pusenja-2015
No smoking-allowed rooms in restaurants (I am not a smoker though)?

Btw. Chairman of Slovak parliament proposed a law restricting freedom of press. Every journalist who will record drunk MP will be sanctioned by losing his/her license. It seems Ukrainian flu is contagious and we are about to come down therewith.

Old January 24th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #23893
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
No smoking-allowed rooms in restaurants (I am not a smoker though)?
I saw the article on someones FB page, used Google Translate to figure out what's in it. But in Germany it's the same, it's really great, no-smoking anywhere, not even clubs, pubs, bars.
I think in Austria too, but I'm not sure if in all Länder.

Everytime I go to Romania, when I'm in a restaurant, pizzeria, bowling, playing pool, I end up smelling of smoke, even if there are separated rooms for smokers and non-smokers (in many places that's really a joke, sometimes to get to the non-smoker room you have to pass through the smoker room, or there is no real separation, like a door or something).
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #23894
italystf

Quote:
Everytime I go to Romania, when I'm in a restaurant, pizzeria, bowling, playing pool, I end up smelling of smoke, even if there are separated rooms for smokers and non-smokers (in many places that's really a joke, sometimes to get to the non-smoker room you have to pass through the smoker room, or there is no real separation, like a door or something).
It was the same here until 10 years ago, thanks God now it's forbidden in every plublic indoor place, except in some designated closed areas within some restaurants and discos. It was a nightmare especially for families with little children.
It was shown that the smoking ban reduced the number of teens who started to smoke because they have less occasions to smoke during their social life with mates.
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #23895
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
I saw the article on someones FB page, used Google Translate to figure out what's in it. But in Germany it's the same, it's really great, no-smoking anywhere, not even clubs, pubs, bars.
I think in Austria too, but I'm not sure if in all Länder.

Austria is a bit special, in smaller bars and restaurants smoking may be allowed. In bigger restaurants I saw separate smoking rooms.

I must say as a non smoker I really enjoy smoking ban law (introduced in 2007 in Slovenia), quality of air improved drastically since then (when you go out).
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #23896
volodaaaa

Quote:
It was the same here until 10 years ago, thanks God now it's forbidden in every plublic indoor place, except in some designated closed areas within some restaurants and discos. It was a nightmare especially for families with little children.
It was shown that the smoking ban reduced the number of teens who started to smoke because they have less occasions to smoke during their social life with mates.
It is really annoying to come home after party in pub having all my clothes smoked. Apart from the necessary shower (my hair stinks like ashtray), I have to wash my clothes immediately. Because if I left the clothes in whatever room, the room stinks like the pub next morning.

Old January 24th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #23897
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
we have this here too, but it is crazy, there is for example a cigar lounge but smoking is illegal

I dislike such laws, business owner should be able to choose if he wants smoking or not, and customer free to choose to go there or not...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #23898
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
we have this here too, but it is crazy, there is for example a cigar lounge but smoking is illegal

I dislike such laws, business owner should be able to choose if he wants smoking or not, and customer free to choose to go there or not...
Yes, but before the law in 90% of places the owner allowed smoking. Families had a hard time to find a place to eat or drink with clean air.
Smokers claim the right to smoke, that is opposed to the right to breath clean air claimed by non-smokers. Since science has proven that smoking is harmful, including the passive one, I think it's more fair to protect the interest of non-smokers, and also of people who work there all day.
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #23899
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Yes, but before the law in 90% of places the owner allowed smoking. Families had a hard time to find a place to eat or drink with clean air.
Smokers claim the right to smoke, that is opposed to the right to breath clean air claimed by non-smokers. Since science has proven that smoking is harmful, including the passive one, I think it's more fair to protect the interest of non-smokers, and also of people who work there all day.
But right of business owner should win Only just need people wanting the "clean air" to refuse to go to smoky places, then quickly they will appear... or even have some kind of exemption, like "no not smoking" if the owner wishes to cater to smoker only... (and I say this as non smoker myself as I am too familiar with health risks of it unfortunately). It seems the law is a big, heavy hammer to smash a mosquito and it also destroyed the table

Like I said, near me is a cigar lounge, and they are at risk of a large fine, so far police has not gone, but really, no reason to go there if not smoking...

Anyway, what was with the Chinese driving his car on the river and the article saying:
Quote:
Onlookers watched in horror as the unidentified man risked his life just to save pennies, gasping each time they heard the ice creak under the weight of the silver-coloured car.
But he made it to the other side without problems, so he is the WINNER, we should all be proud and happy for him. Thinking about it, I spend a lot of time to cross river to work and back, and, it is -23 *C this week. I think river should be hard enough, maybe I will try it
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #23900
italystf

In some cold places in Russia, Canada, Scandinavia frozen rivers and lakes are regularily crossed by vehicles during winter. The ice surface is made smooth with buldozers and the ice road is closed when ice is too thin.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1446857
There's even a TV series about the life of a group of truckers who cross the frozen and desolated Canadian Arctic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Road_Truckers

Tags
highways, motorways