daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #23921
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's also easy to understand: if you go below 30, you comply with both signs.
I learned otherwise, if there would be only 70 sign, one must drive at least half the speed of the limit.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #23922
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
As I said in another thread, in Italy where two speed signs are conflicting, the lower one wins. It's also easy to understand: if you go below 30, you comply with both signs.
As I said on the Italian thread:

Common sense says that, if you temporary lower the speed limit on a road section, you must take down or cover the old speed limit sign.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Penn's Woods liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #23923
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
As I said on the Italian thread:

Common sense says that, if you temporary lower the speed limit on a road section, you must take down or cover the old speed limit sign.
In my country, if the section of roadwork is not ended, the local speed limit is cancelled at place where you passing by the last roadwork sign.

In this case, the only and last roadwork sign is the 30kph speed limit.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #23924
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
what do those arrows below the signs in Italy mean?
It means'continues'
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #23925
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post

I learned otherwise, if there would be only 70 sign, one must drive at least half the speed of the limit.
That's a different thing, I never mentioned minimum speed. I don't know this rule.
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #23926
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
That's a different thing, I never mentioned minimum speed. I don't know this rule.
There is no this rule in Italy.
We have this sign (virtually never used) to express the minimum speed allowed (and the end of this prescription):

It sometimes exists integrated in some motorway overhead panels:

When there's no sign, there's the art. 141 comma 6 of the highway code:
"The driver must no adopt a too slow speed that could endanger or block the traffic." It's just an arbitrary definition, with no numeric limits, like the safety distance.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #23927
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
It means'continues'
but sometimes it is up, sometimes down, sometimes both
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #23928
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

In Romania is the same style:
- up means it begins from here (in Germany I saw it by left arrow - direction opposite of sidewalk)
- down means it ends here (in Germany I saw it by right arrow - direction towards of sidewalk)
- both means continuation of the sign, so both before and after the sign (in Germany you will see it with left and right arrow)

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #23929
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

we don't have it here so i never actually understood it.
but, what is the difference between sign with upper arrow and sign without any arrows?
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #23930
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Afaik, sign without arrow should be valid until first intersection... but it may be that the sign with arrow is in fact the same...

From my experience, signs with arrows are used if they are also cancelled later (before an intersection).
At least this is how I saw it in Germany, either for stopping or parking forbidden, or parking from here to there.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #23931
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

I was just looking at a (paper) map of Nova Gorica (with a part of Gorizia, of course). Has anyone heard of a river called OZNOSI flowing through Gorizia? Me neither. But then I turned the map around and it says - ISONZO!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #23932
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Isonzo river? That river your guys know as Soca? I believe Natisone river was once part of Isonzo until a landslide forced the later to turn back to Slovenia, thus capturing the Bontius river. This one, like the "river" (Reka), used to dissapear underground and feed into the Timavo, but the new river blocked that and turned back to Natisone river near the Adriatic. What a course change.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #23933
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

^ Yes, Soča (no, not Sochi ). I didn't know about its course change.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #23934
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
As I said in another thread, in Italy where two speed signs are conflicting, the lower one wins. It's also easy to understand: if you go below 30, you comply with both signs.
In other words, two signs, one saying 70 and the other 30, means the exact same thing as a single sign saying 30. Which means there's no point whatsoever to having the 70 there.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #23935
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
we don't have it here so i never actually understood it.
but, what is the difference between sign with upper arrow and sign without any arrows?
Don't worry, we have it, but I don't know why the arrows are attached below neither.

Okay, that with arrow pointing down is supposed to be a cancellation. But that with double arrow. I see the only reasonable usage in case of T-intersection

Old January 25th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #23936
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Don't worry, we have it, but I don't know why the arrows are attached below neither.

Okay, that with arrow pointing down is supposed to be a cancellation. But that with double arrow. I see the only reasonable usage in case of T-intersection
Yup. According to Italian laws, prescriptions imposed by signs decay afer the first intersection, so after every intersection the sign must be repeated, with a double arrow below ("continue").
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #23937
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yup. According to Italian laws, prescriptions imposed by signs decay afer the first intersection, so after every intersection the sign must be repeated, with a double arrow below ("continue").
Here in Slovakia, this is stated as a general rule. In specific cases, cancellation sign can be used. Arrows are used only with warning signs or with those, which validity is not determined by intersection. And also with no-parking or stopping signs.

e.g. curves, first left, next 4 km or common accident section - next 2 km.

But there are also lot of riddles like traffic sign determining the speed limit with arrows next 6 km and there are 12 intersections within

Old January 25th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #23938
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

In other words, two signs, one saying 70 and the other 30, means the exact same thing as a single sign saying 30. Which means there's no point whatsoever to having the 70 there.
70 is a fixed sign. 30 a temporary one. So you want to take down the fixed sign, spending money for no reason when it's perfectly clear what that means?
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #23939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

In the Netherlands they usually turn the sign 90 degrees so it isn't visible to traffic. Or put a temporary sign right in front of it, or cover the sign up with some canvas.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods, bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #23940
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In the Netherlands they usually turn the sign 90 degrees so it isn't visible to traffic. Or put a temporary sign right in front of it, or cover the sign up with some canvas.
That's what I'm saying...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways