daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #24101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

The Netherlands is still experiencing an unusually mild winter. The severity of a winter can be expressed using the Hellmann value. The Hellman value is obtained by taking the figure of the daily mean temperature as a positive. (for example, if the daily mean is -2 C, the Hellmann value is 2). This is then added through the winter, to get the final Hellmann value.

The average Hellmann value is around 100 per winter. The most severe winter was in 1963 with a Hellmann value of 345.9. The last 4 winters had a value between 73 and 95. So far this winter has scored a Hellmann value of 0.0
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #24102
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

In Bavaria the winter seems also mild, we have 10C now...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #24103
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Do you think that notebook power cable can accumulate some power? We had power blackout few hours ago and I have observed that notebook battery remained 100 % charged even 10 minutes after the blackout started. Usually it goes down immediately after I eject the power cable.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #24104
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

It doesn't accumulate power, only the battery do. Simple the device that show the percentage of charged battery isn't so accurate. It happens also with mobile phones. For example it may happens that I switch my phone off with a 10% battery. Then I switch it on and the battery it's, fo example, 20%. I starts using it and it drops to 5% in one minute or two. Or maybe it switch off automatically because it reaches 0%, then I switch on it again and it shows 2%, that it's enough to send a SMS before charging it.
Obviously the real charge doesn't increase if I don't connect it to the electric network but the device doesn't show the accurate percentage.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #24105
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
In Bavaria the winter seems also mild, we have 10C now...
I've experienced colder weather than that in Munich in fricking JUNE. (Seriously. June 13, 1986. High was 9 degrees. That fact will forever be engraved in my memory. It was also the centennial of the death of Mad King Ludwig. Whom I'd actually never heard of. There was a line outside some church waiting to get into a Mass for the occasion.)

Anyone who wants some winter, as I've already said, is perfectly welcome....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #24106
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I have to admit I thought this was hilarious when I heard it on TV last night.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #24107
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I have to admit I thought this was hilarious when I heard it on TV last night.
I thought it was hilarious that the news reporter at the Dutch NOS news station tried his best to say 'F*ck the EU' as serious as possible
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #24108
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Some of you here may remember when I was - deservedly - rebuked for saying G-dv....

I've noticed that Flemish sites and newspapers have no problem using "****," or showing pictures of protestors who have it written on their posters. Wouldn't happen here.

Give me a couple of minutes to dig up a video.

Here's where I saw about this.... (If it works) http://on.msnbc.com/LVvXGY

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

keokiracer liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 7th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #24109
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Now here's something:

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2014/02...ic-commercial/

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

keokiracer liked this post
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #24110
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Epic

Canada +1

Quote:
I've noticed that Flemish sites and newspapers have no problem using "****," or showing pictures of protestors who have it written on their posters. Wouldn't happen here.
NL is the same as Flanders:

NOS (With video, which includes the un-bleeped version of the call) : http://nos.nl/video/607508-amerikaan...uck-de-eu.html
RTL Nieuws: http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/buite...nister-****-eu
AD http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1013/Buitenla...k-the-EU.dhtml
Telegraaf: http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/2...ptabel___.html
I could basically post a link to every Dutch news website

Quote:
Works
I've never seen the point of bleeping out all the swearwords in the US. Why do they do it?
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #24111
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Works
I've never seen the point of bleeping out all the swearwords in the US. Why do they do it?
With "****" and "shit," I'm sure it's the law, or regulations for broadcasters. (For broadcasters. No rules for print.) And beyond that, societal taboo. (I'd never, ever say them in the presence of my mother, for example.)

"Ass" has apparently become acceptable in the last few years. I'm hearing it a lot lately on the air.

Also, some broadcasters have their own standards. First example that comes to mind is the "Panic at the Disco" song that includes the lines "Haven't you people ever heard of closing the goddamn door," and "the bride is a *****." My favorite radio station censors "goddamn" (they leave out "god") and "*****," but I've heard the full version elsewhere....

The New York Times today says Under-Secretary Nuland "used an expletive to describe what should happen to the European Union," or something like that. And that's an example of the Times having its own standards, but I can't imagine any American newspaper printing "****."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #24112
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Old February 7th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #24113
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

PS: More than you want to know, possibly....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Anyhow, it's not as clear-cut as I thought.

(How could I forget this?:

"In a similar incident on October 31, 2008, Philadelphia Phillies second baseman Chase Utley took the stage at Citizens Bank Park during the team's World Series celebration and said, "World champions. World ******* champions!" Utley's epithet was aired live on almost every television station in the Philadelphia television market. The FCC took no action.")

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #24114
italystf

Sochi winter games are the most expensive in the history, but...
http://thechive.com/2014/02/06/condi...ous-32-photos/
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

keokiracer, Verso liked this post
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #24115
bogdymol
bogdymod

They even got a new logo for the Olympics

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #24116
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
They even got a new logo for the Olympics

Secretly sponsored by Audi

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #24117
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I thought it was hilarious that the news reporter at the Dutch NOS news station tried his best to say 'F*ck the EU' as serious as possible
I love to watch NOS especially the pretty ladies in the morning But I have only watched that channel while in Belgium, and was still channel #1 on the TV (while Belgian channel "een" was like 12 )

FWIW despite my belief in the principles of the EU, I kind of respect Mme for talking like that, she means business I think more than "feuk de EU" it is more interesting the Russians spied on her phone call and posted it, it is like a Snowden inception Angie is probably laughing her ass off

Quote:
Some of you here may remember when I was - deservedly - rebuked for saying G-dv....

In French part of Canada will hear a lot of the word "****" and you could hear on public TV or papers (French language media only!) But, people use the word only as a kind of mild expression, like maybe American "crap" and never to mean intercourse, so it isn't as strong (at all)

Last edited by Kanadzie; February 8th, 2014 at 01:28 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #24118
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I love to watch NOS especially the pretty ladies in the morning But I have only watched that channel while in Belgium, and was still channel #1 on the TV (while Belgian channel "een" was like 12 )

FWIW despite my belief in the principles of the EU, I kind of respect Mme for talking like that, she means business I think more than "feuk de EU" it is more interesting the Russians spied on her phone call and posted it, it is like a Snowden inception Angie is probably laughing her ass off

In French part of Canada will hear a lot of the word "****" and you could hear on public TV or papers (French language media only!) But, people use the word only as a kind of mild expression, like maybe American "crap" and never to mean intercourse, so it isn't as strong (at all)
Do they use the English "****" while speaking in French?

Green Day concert in Italy. At the end Billie shouts a very obscene profanity in Italian. He does the same at every concert in Italy and every time it's a big scandal because those kind of cursing expressions are censored from Italian media.
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #24119
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Do they use the English "****" while speaking in French?
Exactly, but it is much more polite than in English. Like someone might say if their car was making a vibration, "mon char yé commencé ŕ ******" (engl. "my car has started to ****"), even the priest would probably say it
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #24120
italystf

Is true that Slovenes (especially near Italy, @hofburg ) do use Italian cursing words while speaking in Slovenian??

Tags
highways, motorways