daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #24121
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

some of them, mostly the ones who speak strong dialects near the border. I don't (curse).
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #24122
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is true that Slovenes (especially near Italy, @hofburg ) do use Italian cursing words while speaking in Slovenian??
Who in Slovenia doesn't live near Italy?

Kanadzie liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #24123
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
With "****" and "shit," I'm sure it's the law, or regulations for broadcasters. (For broadcasters. No rules for print.) And beyond that, societal taboo. (I'd never, ever say them in the presence of my mother, for example.)
I remember one episode of a British programme within which Zach Braff was a guest and another guest said something or another, and Braff was surprised that they could get away with saying that.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #24124
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Do they use the English "****" while speaking in French?

Green Day concert in Italy. At the end Billie shouts a very obscene profanity in Italian. He does the same at every concert in Italy and every time it's a big scandal because those kind of cursing expressions are censored from Italian media.
The anagram of Codroipo!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #24125
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Some years ago in the Hungarian version of the Big Brother there was an Italo-Hungarian partecipant that said a blasphemy in Italian. However it wasn't censored because the Hungarian staff didn't know what he said.
In a German episode of The Simpson, the Italian cook Luigi reply with a blasfemy in Italian after Homer complained because he didn't like the food.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

volodaaaa liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #24126
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Btw. the word "f*ck" is itself very unclear to me. Because there are many many possible translations of this word to my language. Depending on context, it might be translated as a funny innocent invective or as a very very offensive dirty word at the same time.

I really don't know how it is perceived by native speakers. Because we have vast field of invectives with different level of dirtiness and all are translated as "f**k" to english

With the Slovenian language, they have words "jedi i piće" which means "food and drinks". In my language it literally sounds like "Poisons and c*nts" Fairly opposite meaning according our common Slavic origin

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #24127
italystf

Yes, sometimes Brits use **** as an exclamation: "****, I lost my keys!" or "Where the hell is that ******* book?"
In those cases the word isn't connected with its original sexual connotation and isn't even an insult (like "**** you"). It can be replaced with more polite expressions, like "gosh" or "oh, no".
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Old February 8th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #24128
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Italians are often considered as nation who swears a lot (as all mediteranean nations). but i am extremely dissapointed that p... dio is the best they could invent. it is considered to be so rude probably because of its religious conotation, but I would expect something much more creative from Italians.
translated into Croatian for instance it would be very mild thing (except in front of religious people)
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #24129
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Italians are often considered as nation who swears a lot (as all mediteranean nations). but i am extremely dissapointed that p... dio is the best they could invent. it is considered to be so rude probably because of its religious conotation, but I would expect something much more creative from Italians.
translated into Croatian for instance it would be very mild thing (except in front of religious people)
Also in Britain they use "oh, my ******* God" and this isn't nowhere as rude as Italian swearing expressions with God. It's probably because of the Catholic tradition that says "don't mention God's name without a reason", so if you aren't supposed to mention it with no reason, it's even worse to mention it next to an insult.
On the other hand, American and Brits find very rude the word "c*nt" (it's used not only for the female genitalia, but also as a strong insult), while the corrispondent Italian word (f1ga or f1ca) it's more mild and used also as synonimous of "hot girl" (only in very informal context, such with friends, however).
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #24130
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Romanian swearing is not bad either, pretty inventive
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #24131
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romanian swearing explained in english: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_profanity
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

cinxxx, crimio, volodaaaa liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #24132
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
(..)

With the Slovenian language, they have words "jedi i piće" which means "food and drinks". In my language it literally sounds like "Poisons and c*nts" Fairly opposite meaning according our common Slavic origin
That's quite funny, however, with not even a shade of doubt, you probably know actual meaning of that Slovenian words without looking into dictionary, same as I do In Polish it would be "jedzenie i picie" (food and drinks) or "jadło i picie" and "jady i picze" (the other one) And word "picza" is rather softer version of "cipa", which would be proper "c" word.
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #24133
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Nice video
http://vk.com/video-65948761_1676316...b4995bbbf7f427
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #24134
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Romanian swearing explained in english: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_profanity
Wow, I didn't expected en.wikipedia being so exhaustive in these topics (and in so much languages)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ty_by_language

Old February 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #24135
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
That's quite funny, however, with not even a shade of doubt, you probably know actual meaning of that Slovenian words without looking into dictionary, same as I do In Polish it would be "jedzenie i picie" (food and drinks) or "jadło i picie" and "jady i picze" (the other one) And word "picza" is rather softer version of "cipa", which would be proper "c" word.
Polish language has good word for "looking for" or "search" : szukać. Especially in Czech language it means modest synonym for copulating (šukat) But it is not considered as rude.

Old February 8th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #24136
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
genitalia

Quote:
It's "jedi in pijače" in Slovenian. In Serbo-Croatian it's "jela i pića" ("piće" is singular (drink)).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #24137
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Oh, I hadn't been reading this thread much in months, but just realized swearing-and-languages still dominates it
Old February 8th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #24138
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

It's "jedi in pijače" in Slovenian. In Serbo-Croatian it's "jela i pića" ("piće" is singular (drink)).
Well, I've accidentally mixed it up. But cold drinks in Serbo-Croatian (hladna pića) sounds to me like "hungry c*nt"

Old February 8th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #24139
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Quote:
Well, I've accidentally mixed it up. But cold drinks in Serbo-Croatian (hladna pića) sounds to me like "hungry c*nt"
That's because in Serbian and Croatian where there is "g" Czech and Slovak languages has "h" (grad-hrad, gladan-hladný).

False friends: "hladan" (cold in Serbian) - "zima" in Slovak, "zima" (winter in Serbian) - "zimné" in Slovak.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #24140
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Big news everyone
image hosted on flickr

Engagement ring by cinxxx, on Flickr

... and she said yes

Tags
highways, motorways