daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #2401
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I doubt that 90% speaks English. 60% sounds more reasonable. Mostly BrE AFAIK

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #2402
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Most adults speak English, although not so much with the elderly.

In my opinion, people speak American English. They say "kaent" and not the British style "Kánt" for the word can't for instance. I think most people use American spelling too (Kilometer, liter, license instead of kilometre, litre, licence etc).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #2403
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This is what I did today:
[IMG]http://i40.************/14tmuc2.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #2404
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2267

^ Your all day work? What it's for?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's a mobile traffic counter. I had to install 10 of them.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2406
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah, it's a shame that in developed countries like Germany, France and Spain so few people speak more than a few words English... They should look at countries like Netherlands or Denmark where most people speak English that's beyond beginners grade.
Germany and Spain is not that bad actually, but France... they are forcing french as world language, but nobody takes it for real. something like radi syndrom. and when you get French speaking few words of english, and when he sees that you know 3 words of french, he instantly forgets his english and speaks french
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #2407
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Some English people have once said about the Netherlands: "Oh yeah, the Netherlands, that's where people live that speak better English than we do"

In some cases they're right. What we learn is British English, and not a weird English accent
I've been tested yesterday by a guy from the highschool company who sends me out to the USA this summer. He gave me about a 9 for my english ( almost fluent ). He said that a lot of dutch people have a dutch accent in their english, ( I didn't had any accent ). I have a bit of an Irish accent in my english, probably because I have some family overthere. But the most important thing is that my english is good enough, so I can go to the USA this summer Still a lot of paperwork needs to be done, but the start is there .
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #2408
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Languages! One of my favourite subjects. I'm born and raised in Sweden with Moroccan parents so I've got four languages almost for free. I speak Swedish, English, Moroccan Arabic and French fluently (even though I had to study French in school). In high school I studied German at an advanced level and through my knowledge of French and my love for Spanish football I've managed to learn Spanish too. When abroad I always try to speak with the natives in the local language, so I've picked up some Portuguese too from my visits there even though my glossary sometimes becomes blurred with the Spanish.
Languages are my favourite subjects 2. I hate French though. Im quite good at German, it's easy like I said before. English is also easy for me.. Actually this forum trains my english all the time ( Im 16 ). I also speak frisian, ( dutch -> doh), and a little Italian
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2409
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's a mobile traffic counter. I had to install 10 of them.
How are these wires attached to the brick?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #2410
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

good evening all
i've been in a little shopping spree

a brand new Thermaltake cooler for processor

cost around 65€... quiet as hell and freakin good blue light
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #2411
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Interesting... which two languages must students learn in Hungary?

Here in Latvia, students in school have to learn two languages - English and students choice between Russian and German.
It depends on the school, there is no rule. The high school where I used to go provided a pretty wide range of languages. The first foreign language came at the age of 11, you (actually your parents) could choose between English and French. At the age of 14 came the 2nd language when you could choose German, French, Russian and Latin. I was on English and German In another school nearby Italian was among the possible choices, atother places Spanish, and I know a guy whose first foreign language at school was German...
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2412
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
How are these wires attached to the brick?
The hoses are attached to a small plate that has been secured to the pavement with steel nails of 0,5 cm thick. I use nails when there are curbs, because the hoses need to be at the road, and not hang above them. When there's grass next to the road I use giant steel pins.
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #2413
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
It depends on the school, there is no rule. The high school where I used to go provided a pretty wide range of languages. The first foreign language came at the age of 11, you (actually your parents) could choose between English and French. At the age of 14 came the 2nd language when you could choose German, French, Russian and Latin. I was on English and German In another school nearby Italian was among the possible choices, atother places Spanish, and I know a guy whose first foreign language at school was German...
Thanks for the answer! And DJZG your new cooler for the processor looks huge! The old one didn't handle the heat so you had to change it?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #2414
Timon91
Error

Chris has reached 10,000 posts

Congrats
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #2415
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

In Ljubljana we first get English at the age of 9 and German (usually) at 15. By the Austrian border German comes first, I think. In the bilingual areas, Hungarian and Italian respectively are obligatory for everyone since the age of 6 or 7, I think. But German will now be obligatory already in primary school.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #2416
Timon91
Error

For me:

English - 9
French - 11
German - 12

I'd like to learn another language though.
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #2417
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'd like to learn Spanish
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2418
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Start watching telenovelas. Congratz for 10,000 posts, btw.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #2419
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I didn't even notice
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #2420
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

From my experience learning Spanish is so much easier when you're already familiar with English!
And learning German is so horrible for me. I had to learn it for 3 years at school and I know as much as after 1 year of Spanish
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways