daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #24341
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

google maps are down. it seems that the d-day has come

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #24342
bogdymol
bogdymod

Google Maps works fine here (both old and new versions).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #24343
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

it's been stuck for half an hour (both maps and earth) so i thought that they are changing it to new maps only. now it works fine again.
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #24344
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Which I render as Democratic People's (ha!) Republic of (North) Korea. And the other Korea as Republic of (South) Korea. And I render the full name of Germany as Federal Republic of (West) Germany, even though there has been only one Germany for a while now.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #24345
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Yep, new maps in google maps.

I just found my dad going home (in Alicante) with his car in Street View.

The photo seems to be taken this summer.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #24346
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Only if you are under 8.
Well, for us Italians it looks stupid, since we saw those monuments in real life, but many foreign tourists get mad to those kitsch fake places (that are so common in North America and Japan, but less in Europe).
And children below 8, who don't know anything about history and geography, surely have more fun building sand castles on the beach.

Seriously, I wouldn't sleep in Rimini to explore the area. It would be more expensive and less scenic than in a B&B or "agriturismo" in a small village.
I've been to the small village of San Leo, around 20km from Rimini (and even closer to San Marino), where there is a famous castle on the top of a rock, that definitively deserves a stop if you are in the area. Geographic curiosity, it's the only place in Italy, together with some nearby villages, that changed region in Italy (from Marche to Emilia Romagna in 2009).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #24347
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Neither democratic or people's
Nor even a republic! (hereditary leadership system) And Korea, it is questionable too
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #24348
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Thanks for the tips.

I just found Civita di Bagnoregio, it looks stunning.
So this could make me rethink my trip, so that after Perugia I don't drive back to San Marino area, but to Bagnoregio or stay in Perugia over night.

And next day visit Civita di Bagnoregio, then drive to Bologna and so on...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #24349
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Civita di Bagnoregio is worth a trip. But it's very small, a couple of hours (dining included) and you are done. I suggest you couple it with Orvieto: stunningly beautiful, and only few km away...

Last edited by g.spinoza; February 26th, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #24350
bogdymol
bogdymod

Old February 26th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #24351
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:

Happy new yeear

RipleyLV, Verso liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #24352
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Civita di Bagnoregio is worth a trip. But it's very small, a couple of hours (dining included) and you are done. I suggest you couple it with Orvieto: stunningly beautiful, and only few km away...
Thanks for the tip

1. But what do you think, is day 2 doable, Ferrara - Ravenna - San Marino? First 2 should definitely be, but I wouldn't want to miss out on San Marino. How much time should I plan for each of these 3? They don't seem to be large, but there is some walking involved

2. For day 3 I am thinking to do a short walk in Rimini to at least get a quick look of the sea and after that drive towards Urbino, then add Assisi (it looks really great) on the way between Urbino and Perugia.

3. Or is there a nice place with access to the sea on the way from Ravenna to San Marino (the road goes on the coast)?

Old February 26th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #24353
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Thanks for the tip

1. But what do you think, is day 2 doable, Ferrara - Ravenna - San Marino? First 2 should definitely be, but I wouldn't want to miss out on San Marino. How much time should I plan for each of these 3? They don't seem to be large, but there is some walking involved
I don't think so. I'd divide those three cities in 2 different days. If you want to keep it in one day, I'd suggest you remove Ferrara (it's very nice, but Ravenna is better* and San Marino is a must go).

*well, it depends. Ferrara has a marvelous castle and some very nice palaces. Ravenna is more ancient, some amazing byzantine churches there.

Quote:
2. For day 3 I am thinking to do a short walk in Rimini to at least get a quick look of the sea and after that drive towards Urbino, then add Assisi (it looks really great) on the way between Urbino and Perugia.

3. Or is there a nice place with access to the sea on the way from Ravenna to San Marino (the road goes on the coast)?

Mmm, not really. That seaside section is a huge vacation-metropolis with ugly hotels and restaurants that look all the same.

I guess if you really want to see that ugly seaside, Rimini is the "less worse" option...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #24354
volodaaaa

Btw. Which city in Romania is worth a weekend trip by car? I was thinking Timisoara.

crimio liked this post
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #24355
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Happy new yeear
You mean happy 2013?
That clip is almost a year old
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #24356
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Btw. Which city in Romania is worth a weekend trip by car? I was thinking Timisoara.
You could do it 3-in-one: Timisoara, Arad & Oradea. They are all close to the border.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #24357
volodaaaa

Quote:
You could do it 3-in-one: Timisoara, Arad & Oradea. They are all close to the border.
But it is possible to get all the sights done?

Old February 26th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #24358
bogdymol
bogdymod

They are not that large and with so many tourist attractions. If you feel you want to relax a little more you could choose 2 out of 3.

volodaaaa liked this post
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #24359
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
I don't think so. I'd divide those three cities in 2 different days. If you want to keep it in one day, I'd suggest you remove Ferrara (it's very nice, but Ravenna is better* and San Marino is a must go).

*well, it depends. Ferrara has a marvelous castle and some very nice palaces. Ravenna is more ancient, some amazing byzantine churches there.
Uh, I will have to rethink everything again. I wouldn't like to miss either Ferrara or Ravenna or San Marino. Also those places south are great. Maybe I can let go of Bologna or Lake Garda, the last one is closer to me, I can drive there also in a weekend if I want...

Quote:
Mmm, not really. That seaside section is a huge vacation-metropolis with ugly hotels and restaurants that look all the same.

I guess if you really want to see that ugly seaside, Rimini is the "less worse" option...
Since I am planning to drive to Croatian riviera two weeks later, I can see the sea then in much better light
Actually, in Rimini I would have wanted to see that very old stone bridge.

Quote:
But it is possible to get all the sights done?
If you plan a weekend trip it's doable, without having to stress to much. If you leave on Friday after work, it's perfect. You can accomodate in Timisoara and visit the city by night, then visit it by day, then drive to Arad, and stay there over night. Final day drive and visit Oradea and head back home.

Or the other way around

The only pitty in Timisoara is that important parts of the city center (but not all nice places, there are some a little outside the direct center) are under renovation, so you would have to also walk along construction sites. But you may see some nice ruins from Turkish times. Some pictures here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post111748161
Old February 26th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #24360
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Revised plan
I think I will give up Ravenna. I also added some new destinations: Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio and Assisi.

Day 1 - http://goo.gl/maps/iN621
Ingolstadt - Ferrara

Day 2 - http://goo.gl/maps/koaqg
Ferrara - San Marino

Day 3 - http://goo.gl/maps/cy9zA
San Marino - Urbino - Assisi - Perugia

Day 4 - http://goo.gl/maps/CQYiN
Perugia - Civita di Bagnoregio - Orvieto (- stop somewhere on the way) - Accommodation somewhere near Sirmione

Day 5 - http://goo.gl/maps/JM3eH
Sirmione - East road of Lake Garda: Malcesine - Riva del Garda - Nago-Torbole (- stop somewhere on the way) - Ingolstadt

Entire roadmap: http://goo.gl/maps/NusxH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Ok, draft plan for the roadtrip:
Entire roadmap -> http://goo.gl/maps/LW5ts

Day 1 - http://goo.gl/maps/zMBOJ
Ingolstadt (leave work early, at around 15) - stop somewhere on the way - Ferrara (accommodation)

Day 2 - http://goo.gl/maps/T0EHK
Ferrara - Ravenna - Cesena (accommodation) - San Marino - Cesena

Day 3 - http://goo.gl/maps/aoRwU
Cesena - Rimini - Urbrino - Perugia - Cesena

Day 4 - http://goo.gl/maps/MxrUu
Cesena - Bologna - Accommodation somewhere near Sirmione

Day 5 - http://goo.gl/maps/JM3eH
Sirmione - East road of Lake Garda: Malcesine - Riva del Garda - Nago-Torbole ( - stop somewhere on the way) - Ingolstadt

Last edited by cinxxx; February 27th, 2014 at 01:37 AM.

Tags
highways, motorways