daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #24441
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nečujam?
well, yes is it funny in Slovenian? sounds quite normal here
actually, Nečujam is the most known place at the island (but anyway, Šolta is probably the largest Adriatic island without some known inhabited places - i doubt that average Croat could name a single place there, while everyone knows for that island)

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #24442
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

2020:
Russia finally made it to European Union

Alex_ZR, AsHalt liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #24443
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I noticed two journalistic mistakes in the past days. In one they wrote that Crimea risks to became another Russian-dominated enclave, like Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Transnistria. None of them are actually enclaves.
In another they wrote that Russians are controlling highways connecting Crimea with the rest of Ukraine. They translated in Italian highway with autostrade even if those roads aren't motorways.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #24444
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Some pictures from the carnival of Cologne, yesterday.

image hosted on flickr

volodaaaa, Verso liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #24445
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
well, yes is it funny in Slovenian? sounds quite normal here
actually, Nečujam is the most known place at the island (but anyway, Šolta is probably the largest Adriatic island without some known inhabited places - i doubt that average Croat could name a single place there, while everyone knows for that island)
It sounds like "ne čujem".
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #24446
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #24447
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
That's very impressive, and so impressive it's actually hard to believe. But I wonder how much of the reduction, if any, is from reduced driving due to the economy. A better measure would be deaths per vehicle-kms driven (or passenger-kms), not population.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #24448
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
That's very impressive, and so impressive it's actually hard to believe. But I wonder how much of the reduction, if any, is from reduced driving due to the economy. A better measure would be deaths per vehicle-kms driven (or passenger-kms), not population.
I think there are different factors behind it.
I'll give you an example from my country.
1) The police is much more strict and the penalties are many times higher than it was before. E.g. Exceeding the speed limit by 30 kph was fined by 30 € before and policemen often took it as a bribe (so that the fine did not ended up in country budget, but in officer's pocket) - now the fine is 140 € which is quite too much to me and I rather drive at speed limit than risking to be fined.

2) The general speed limit in inhabited areas were reduced from 60 kph to 50 kph.

3) Lot of over-exposed roads with 1+1 alignment without divider barrier were replaced by motorways, which are generally much safer.

4) The technology development: current cars have many assistant systems in basic equipment like ABS, EPS, A/C (can prevent old drivers from getting hear attack in the middle of summer), etc.

5) Winter tires became mandatory in my country in case of roads covered by ice or snow, which is pretty often in winter times.

crimio liked this post
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #24449
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

My feeling is that cars are much safer now than 10-15 years ago. Whether this can explain all this reduction or not, I don't know.

EDIT: My sources for Italy 2002 give 115, not 122...

Last edited by g.spinoza; March 5th, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #24450
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

The U.S. would be at "100" i.e. the same level as the unsafest country in Europe; Lithuania.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #24451
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The U.S. would be at "100" i.e. the same level as the unsafest country in Europe; Lithuania.
I'd like to see the results for Russia Because you know, according to youtube videos...

crimio liked this post
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #24452
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I agree with Natomasken about a much more useful indicator like deaths/km driven. I think Americans tend to drive more than Europeans.
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #24453
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

In Italy safety improved a lot after the introduction of the point system in 2003 and also with more capillar speed and sobriety controls.
In Eastern EU the improvement of the road network may be a reason. In every country also the renovation of the circulating fleet helped.
However, I would never have imagined a such radical improvement in just 10 years.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #24454
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In Italy safety improved a lot after the introduction of the point system in 2003 and also with more capillar speed and sobriety controls.
In Eastern EU the improvement of the road network may be a reason. In every country also the renovation of the circulating fleet helped.
However, I would never have imagined a such radical improvement in just 10 years.
Perhaps, the teleworking as well.

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #24455
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Quite frankly, I didn't notice an improvement in road law enforcement in the last 10 years in Italy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Perhaps, the teleworking as well.
I don't think it is so widespread to mark a sign in these calculations...
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #24456
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14018

I think of all those things you've mentioned the two key factors are safer cars and newly built motorways (especially in CEE or EE). If I would want to expand the list: mandatory winter tires IMO is the third thing.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #24457
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

An important thing to consider is that over last 10 years most cars from the 1980s got taken off streets. Those were cars without ABS, airbags, assisted steering etc.

I prefer the indicator fatalities/billion vehicle-km driven.

g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #24458
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
mandatory winter tires IMO is the third thing.
It would be interesting to compare deaths separately winter months / summer months.
I don't think mandatory winter tires are really important because it is an active feature (the driver has to go and buy them). In Italy in many roads winter tires are mandatory, but by no means everybody has them: I guess it's a minority.
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #24459
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Giving you jokers up for Lent. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #24460
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I prefer the indicator fatalities/billion vehicle-km driven.
Me too, but this data is less reliable. Population figures are usually readily available and generally undisputed, while the amount of vehicle km (or passenger km) is heavily dependent on methodology and not all countries have reliable statistics available on an annual basis.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways