daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #24461
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Some daredevil forecasters now predict up to 22 C on Sunday. Oh man I so hope this comes true If we can't have winter, we may as well have summer

Normally we don't get 20 C (on average) until late May or early June.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

volodaaaa liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #24462
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Some daredevil forecasters now predict up to 22 C on Sunday. Oh man I so hope this comes true If we can't have winter, we may as well have summer

Normally we don't get 20 C (on average) until late May or early June.
I agree with you. The most hateful thing to me is the dark when I wake up as well as when I come back from work.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #24463
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Population figures are usually readily available and generally undisputed, while the amount of vehicle km (or passenger km) is heavily dependent on methodology and not all countries have reliable statistics available on an annual basis.
Even when measured by deaths per vehicle mile, the improvements in the US are impressive. In 1970 there were 4.7 deaths per 100 million miles driven, 1990 was 2.1, and 2010 was 1.1 (in 1921 it was 24.1!). Another factor in the US, and probably most European countries too I'd guess, is much improved emergency medical services. Paramedic services are widespread now, in the past, ambulances just transported people to hospital without providing much treatment. It's interesting that they're modeled after military medics from the Vietnam War. Seattle had the first US paramedic service, called Medic One, beginning in the 1970's IIRC.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

g.spinoza liked this post
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #24464
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Quite frankly, I didn't notice an improvement in road law enforcement in the last 10 years in Italy...
TUTOR was introduced on many motorways and penalities for DUI were harshened, with the introduction of the confiscation of the vehicle for those who more than 1.5.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #24465
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
TUTOR was introduced on many motorways and penalities for DUI were harshened, with the introduction of the confiscation of the vehicle for those who more than 1.5.
That's true, but I feel TUTOR effects on driving behaviour have been largerly exagerated... It's just a feeling, though...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #24466
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Spain has no tutor and also drastically reduced their traffic fatalities while the amount of road passenger kms dropped by only 2% between 2007 and 2011.
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #24467
volodaaaa

Today is the 50th anniversary since Mary Quant, the British fashion designer, introduced a miniskirt. There is one word I can state on behalf of all men: thank you

nbcee liked this post
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #24468
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
There is one word I can state on behalf of all men: thank you
Nice counting!

Or were you distracted by someone in a miniskirt walking past you?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #24469
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Nice counting!

Or were you distracted by someone in a miniskirt walking past you?
That happens if someone thinks in his own language and writes in another one ;-))

nbcee liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #24470
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Is there any mathematical explanation why blinkers of two cars go from contrary in one point to simultaneously blinking in the other point of time?

Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #24471
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

because they blink in a different speed, catching up and losing each other over and over again.
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #24472
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Amazing weather today in the Netherlands. Sunny and +20 °C. Very warm for early March, normally it would be around +8 °C in early March.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old March 9th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #24473
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

damn, Netherlands beats us. only 18 here.

how TUTOR watches foreign vehicles?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #24474
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Amazing, the temperature dropped by nearly 20 degrees in just a few hours. It's already freezing near the ground.

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #24475
volodaaaa

I can't speak Dutch, but did I understand the temperature is measured 10 cm above the ground level? Is not it too close to ground?

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #24476
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The regular temperature is measured at 2 meters, but for agriculture and road conditions the temperature at 10 cm is also relevant (because it's colder at night).
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #24477
volodaaaa

Quote:
The regular temperature is measured at 2 meters, but for agriculture and road conditions the temperature at 10 cm is also relevant (because it's colder at night).
Yeah, if the first image you've attached is measured at 2 m and the second one at 20 cm, the temperature differences are inherent. If the observations were based on a different devices, the results might be distorted a little bit.

But the enormous drops are obvious in this times - Today it was 15°C in Bratislava, but I had to remove the frost from car windows at morning.

Old March 10th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #24478
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Here currently 9°C but it was 17°C at 2 p.m. Good sunny day to tidy my garden.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #24479
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Madrid: 18º of difference between morning and noon.

Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #24480
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Damn it, Twitter is down . Maybe it collapsed due to a ton of tweets claiming the Spanish King's cup of handball final four should be hosted in Huesca .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways