daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #24561
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Summer time has arrived in Europe, three weeks after our North American friends.

It came with appropriate temperatures. Today even up to 24 °C is forecasted.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #24562
ajch

Likes (Received): 75

meanwhile in southern Spain....snow

Picture is from A-92 near Antequera (the village in the picture). The mountain range is the betican mountain range. those peaks are just under 1400 mts. Its very rare to have snow at this date.

solchante liked this post
ajch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #24563
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

ha, snow, here, we have had at least 10 cm fall since last night
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #24564
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Today I've driven this route. I'm surprised Google Maps nailed it, no intermediate points were needed .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #24565
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I used to love ViaMichelin online road maps for Europe: updated, and clearly showing the road typologies (contrary to the mess of Google MAps).

However, they haven't updated their cartographic base in a while... many newly open highways are missing. I think they are going to ultimately abandon their maps.
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #24566
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I used to love ViaMichelin online road maps for Europe: updated, and clearly showing the road typologies (contrary to the mess of Google MAps).

However, they haven't updated their cartographic base in a while... many newly open highways are missing. I think they are going to ultimately abandon their maps.
I think Viamichelin lost a lot of appeal after the implementation of many functions on Google Maps: the Earth View, Panoramio images and, of course, Street View. Google Maps is now embedded in many websites (e.g. to show the location of a company in an interactive map) and it's also available as Android app. Also Tomtom and Garmin GPS units are likely to disappear thanks to smarthphones with integrated GPS that rely on the costantly updated Google Maps.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

solchante liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:13 PM   #24567
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I think Viamichelin lost a lot of appeal after the implementation of many functions on Google Maps: the Earth View, Panoramio images and, of course, Street View. Google Maps is now embedded in many websites (e.g. to show the location of a company in an interactive map) and it's also available as Android app. Also Tomtom and Garmin GPS units are likely to disappear thanks to smarthphones with integrated GPS that rely on the costantly updated Google Maps.
The only problem is the price of packet data. It is bearable unless you decide to travel outside EU (e.g. Balkan peninsula). Therefore it is sometimes still better to have an "old GPS".

Btw. some funny stuff from Slovak Waze community

Waze: always actual information on police patrols and radars:
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...21231653_o.jpg

Waze: always up to date:
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...69966507_o.jpg

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:34 PM   #24568
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

In Hungary I always use Waze, it's very reliable. After I had moved to Germany I tried to use Waze here, too. But it was a huge fail. In Germany nobody use it because of Datenschutz (privacy) issues. "Waze must not know where I am" is the key, and since Waze was taken by Google, this attitude is even stronger.
So now I use HTC Locations, the self made navigation system of HTC which is only available in HTC smartphones. In Germany is it basically OK, but e.g. in Denmark was the map quality quite low. HTC Locations use offline maps so no data traffic is needed at all (but if the map is not saved in phone, it can be loaded from the web).
As far as I know HTC use TomTom maps.
There's Navigon for Android, it used to use Navteq which has basically better quality (at least I think so), but I've read that now they, too, use TomTom. So then change from HTC Locations to Navigon has no sense, even if Navigon user interface is better.

I'Ve read that sometimes this year will iGO be available for Android, with Navteq maps, and TopMap maps for Eastern Europe. This combination has the better available quality in offline service, I think.

volodaaaa liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:50 PM   #24569
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
In Hungary I always use Waze, it's very reliable. After I had moved to Germany I tried to use Waze here, too. But it was a huge fail. In Germany nobody use it because of Datenschutz (privacy) issues. "Waze must not know where I am" is the key, and since Waze was taken by Google, this attitude is even stronger.
So now I use HTC Locations, the self made navigation system of HTC which is only available in HTC smartphones. In Germany is it basically OK, but e.g. in Denmark was the map quality quite low. HTC Locations use offline maps so no data traffic is needed at all (but if the map is not saved in phone, it can be loaded from the web).
As far as I know HTC use TomTom maps.
There's Navigon for Android, it used to use Navteq which has basically better quality (at least I think so), but I've read that now they, too, use TomTom. So then change from HTC Locations to Navigon has no sense, even if Navigon user interface is better.

I'Ve read that sometimes this year will iGO be available for Android, with Navteq maps, and TopMap maps for Eastern Europe. This combination has the better available quality in offline service, I think.
I fell in love with Sygic. It came with my cell phone package as a trial version. It claimed it was free for 1 year, but I used the trial version for 3 years.

It allowed me to download a map of particular countries for offline purposes. Navigated very good. I indeed appreciate its possibility to recognize almost all the intersections with lane alignment.

Unfortunately, I reinstalled my HTC and I have not been allowed to re-install it since.

Now I consider purchasing, but the references on particular Android shop are not very favourable and I don't want to waste my money.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:09 PM   #24570
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I have installed on my Android (Samsung) phone iGO navigation and works very good. I don't use it very often, but only once every few weeks (months) when I have to drive to an unknown location.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:15 PM   #24571
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

I have a Mio Spirit S685, with microSD card where I've installed igo primo 2.
It cand work with TomTom (Teleatlas), Navteq or local maps.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:11 PM   #24572
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1315

I have a Nokia Lumia, we can pre-download any countries map data on the phones storage and have voice-guided GPS offline .

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

hofburg liked this post
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:20 AM   #24573
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
I have a Nokia Lumia, we can pre-download any countries map data on the phones storage and have voice-guided GPS offline .
Bing maps are as good as Googles, better in some countries on average. Bing Aerial Imagery is the very best of all the big maps. Ultra high quality and very extensive in the developed world.

Shame about Apple though, their maps are really rubbish.

sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 08:51 PM   #24574
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
But that's only for Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, right? At least what I read on windows phone website... I bought Lumia aswell.
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:55 PM   #24575
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

depends which one. 520 and 720 have region locked navigation, you have to buy worldwide version.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:59 PM   #24576
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1315

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
But that's only for Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, right? At least what I read on windows phone website... I bought Lumia aswell.
Depends on the Lumia you bought, a few low-end one's are limited to three countries, the mid and high-end Lumia's can download as much offline maps as the phone's storage allows.
I have a Lumia 920, and I have map data for Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France and UK.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

Last edited by makaveli6; April 1st, 2014 at 10:46 PM.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:25 PM   #24577
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2267

Ah, ok then, I have the 520 version.
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:59 PM   #24578
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Meanwhile in Slovenia:

A proud owner of new SUV wanted to test its capabilities in the partially dry riverbed of Soča river. Result was a stuck car which has to be towed away by firefighters and a fine for driving in the natural environment.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:05 PM   #24579
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13997

Reminds me of these two Hummers in lake Balaton (from February, 2012):

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

volodaaaa liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:07 PM   #24580
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Range Rover Evoque
And what's the fine for driving in natural enviroment in Slovenia?
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways