daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #24701
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
I do not understand this, it would never be used in written/spoken language. It just shows the grammar (what the language can do)of the hungarian language, but WAAAY out of common conversation
Yeah I have to admit I only use this word once or twice a week.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #24702
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11848

one might not think of English as a difficult language, but when it comes to spelling it most certainly is: is there any rule when an "I" is an "Iron" and when an "Indeed"?

or when a "C" is a "Century" and when a "Cat"?
or when an "E" is an "Elevator" and when an "English"?
or when a "G" is a "Goal" and when a "Gym"?
or when an "Y" is a "Reply" and when a "Mistery"?
or when a "U" is a "Rude" when a "Punk"?

maybe it depends on what letter comes next after these letters, but I could still name some exceptions.

Last edited by JackFrost; April 17th, 2014 at 10:03 AM.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #24703
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
one might not think of English as a difficult language, but when it comes to spelling it most certainly is: is there any rule when an "I" is an "Iron" and when an "Indeed"?

maybe it depends on what letter comes next after these letters, but I could still name some exceptions.
Not to mention French spelling, with bunch of letters you don't read or could be replaced with one letter (Bordeaux)...
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #24704
JackFrost
Hun Solo

yes, but in that case there is a basic rule: you just dont spell "eaux" in French. but you dont have that it English, it just switches randomly how you pronounce a big amount of words. or maybe some native English speaker can shed some light on here, because i couldnt discover any rule yet.
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #24705
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

At least Hungarian phonology is very easy.

Demigod of DLM
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #24706
JackFrost
Hun Solo

true. but let me remind you on good ol`"teljes/részleges hasonulás" ;-)
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #24707
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

True dat but it can't cause big misunderstandings. Even if you say különböző with an n istead of an m, or pronounce the j in hagyja everybody will understand you.

Demigod of DLM

JackFrost liked this post
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #24708
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

The main source of pronounciation issues is the Latin language. All European languages west from the Rome/Byzantium split line took the Latin alphabet. The reason for it is very clear however the Latin language is phonologically quite poor.
For example there is no "sh" in Latin (like in "show") but this sound exists in the vast majority of languages. So almost every single language had to create some spelling for this sound and unfortunately all of them found different ways: "sh" in English, "ch" in French, "sci" in Italian*, "sz" in Polish, "š" in some Slav languages, "sch" in German, etc. Hungarian found some quite absurd way: "sh" is spelled as "s", and the Latin "s" is spelled as "sz".

* I know it's more complex in Italian
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #24709
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
These are basically easy. It has some ancient origin (probably not Indo-European but Latin, spread to French and to English). In several languages (e.g. English, French, Spanish, Italian and even Ancient Latin) can you find this behaviour of "C" and "G": if there is an "i" or an "e" after it, then "G" and "C" becomes softer.

Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #24710
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I have a question regarding taking pictures from the car while driving.
Are there recommended settings, for example minimum shutter speed, so that objects from outside don't appear moving?
I guess in perfect light conditions you get a quick enough shutter speed with automatic settings, but what about low light, for example tunnels?
For DSLR and "Evil"…

1/80, 1/100, 1/125 or faster, ƒ value between ƒ4 and ƒ10 (when ƒ value is high the background will be more sharp). Automatic ISO, probably in tunnels the AI of the camera will select values above 6400ISO.

Check always the White Balance, specially in tunnels.

If you camera is Canon, use the AI Focus or AI Servo modes for the AF. Try to use Manual Focus (MF).

Use a fixed camera lens if you can, like an 50mm.

If you want video, select 1/50 or 1/100 for a 25fps and 60fps video.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #24711
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peines View Post
For DSLR and "Evil"…

1/80, 1/100, 1/125 or faster, ƒ value between ƒ4 and ƒ10 (when ƒ value is high the background will be more sharp). Automatic ISO, probably in tunnels the AI of the camera will select values above 6400ISO.

Check always the White Balance, specially in tunnels.

If you camera is Canon, use the AI Focus or AI Servo modes for the AF. Try to use Manual Focus (MF).

Use a fixed camera lens if you can, like an 50mm.

If you want video, select 1/50 or 1/100 for a 25fps and 60fps video.
Or save the photos in RAW perhaps. You can change and edit some properties of your outcome afterwards. Due to speed I would prefer higher ISO values (but max. 800) and faster shutter (1/80 from moving vehicle is IMHO too slow and can cause motion blur).

Fixed camera is indeed the best choice. It is lacking the zoom micromechanism and therefore it has basically much higher luminance.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #24712
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:

That's how we keep foreigners on their toes.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #24713
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I have a question regarding taking pictures from the car while driving.
Are there recommended settings, for example minimum shutter speed, so that objects from outside don't appear moving?
I guess in perfect light conditions you get a quick enough shutter speed with automatic settings, but what about low light, for example tunnels?
I use the "sports" setting. Most if not all modern cameras have this. It's not a fixed shutter speed but will favor higher shutter speeds depending on lighting conditions. I also will generally use the auto-focus, but this can be tricked if there is something on the windshield, like raindrops or bird poop, so best to also have manual focus as a back-up.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #24714
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:

I never thought English was an easy language, for this reason. You can't know how any word is pronounced based on its spelling. You just have to learn the pronunciation of each word individually. There is no logic to it.

I always thought German was easier, but after taking German classes for 2 years, I'm not so sure. On the plus side, pronunciation is very consistent. I also like how German logically assembles words from smaller components. And capitalizing nouns makes it easier to understand (I wish English still did this).

But the genders and cases are insane. Big plus for English, not giving genders to objects. I think the cases are the most difficult thing about German (at least what I've learned so far). They're complex, illogical, inconsistent, and serve little purpose. The worst I think is giving different endings to adjectives. This just adds a totally unnecessary complication to the language.

Since there are so many people speaking so many different languages on this forum, I'm interested in how difficult you think English is compared to your native language. What aspects seem easy and which seem hard? Also, what do you think the easiest language to learn is? I'm thinking it might be Spanish, or possibly Italian, though I've never taken these so I don't really know.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #24715
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Dutch is fairly close to German, but even most Dutch struggle with all the genders and cases in German. Back in high school I aced German vocabulary but flunked grammar.

They say that Polish people can relatively easy learn Dutch. I have a colleague from Iran who learned Dutch in six months after he immigrated.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #24716
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
I never thought English was an easy language, for this reason. You can't know how any word is pronounced based on its spelling. You just have to learn the pronunciation of each word individually. There is no logic to it.

I always thought German was easier, but after taking German classes for 2 years, I'm not so sure. On the plus side, pronunciation is very consistent. I also like how German logically assembles words from smaller components. And capitalizing nouns makes it easier to understand (I wish English still did this).

But the genders and cases are insane. Big plus for English, not giving genders to objects. I think the cases are the most difficult thing about German (at least what I've learned so far). They're complex, illogical, inconsistent, and serve little purpose. The worst I think is giving different endings to adjectives. This just adds a totally unnecessary complication to the language.

Since there are so many people speaking so many different languages on this forum, I'm interested in how difficult you think English is compared to your native language. What aspects seem easy and which seem hard? Also, what do you think the easiest language to learn is? I'm thinking it might be Spanish, or possibly Italian, though I've never taken these so I don't really know.
My native language is difficult. We have genres, we have inclination and inclination is often based on the gender, and although we have "only" three tenses, the forms are different and the number of exceptions is the same as the number of regular cases.

Here is the conjugation of to be in my language

I think English is much easier. It may not be the easiest language to learn, but since it is present in almost all parts of the world and lot of languages modifies English words and so the language is always around us, it is one of the easiest. I've also tried to learn German, Russian and Hungarian, but English is like fairytale among them Also, it has sense to learn English instead of e.g. Finnish/Slovak/Greek, etc. language.

Regarding the taking of words from English, we often use sentences like this (especially in computer science jargon):

Updatol sa mi Windows. (My windows has been updated). Downloadni si ten film (Just download that film). Čekol som, či je doma (I've checked whether she is at home)

In terms of capitalizing - I have noticed that it is quite common to capitalize nouns in English on captions. But I have not seen it in ordinary texts.

As for the languages I can understand:
It is ridiculously easy to understand Czech language. The grammar is very similar, the vocabulary too. They have some different words, especially names of the months.

January (en) = Január (sk) = Leden (cz)
February (en) = Február (sk) = Únor (cz)
May (en) = Máj (sk) = Květen (cz)

I still don't know all Czech names of months If there is a mixed group of Czech and Slovaks, it always comes to looking for incomprehensible sentences for each other after the certain level of alcohol is exceeded

Very easy for me is also Polish language, but the vocabulary is not that similar. We have also some common words with different (sometimes) offensive meaning. The most famous word is szukanie which means impolite word for making love.

I can easily understand all south slavic languages (Slovenian, Serbian, Croatian, Macedonian and Bulgarian), but the cases of ridiculous words is much higher:

like piće (in Slovak pitie) meaning drinks sounds like plural form of c*nt
or kokot (in Slovak kohút) meaning roast sounds like d**k
it is very amusing to see a sign hladne piće ("cold drinks) in Croatian grocery, because it is like seeing the sign hungry c*nts

in Slovak, we call chicken broth kurací vývar. My Serbian friend felt very insecure in Bratislava for the first time, because in his language it means broth of d*cks

So those are funny stories brought to us by life.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #24717
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
These are basically easy. It has some ancient origin (probably not Indo-European but Latin, spread to French and to English). In several languages (e.g. English, French, Spanish, Italian and even Ancient Latin) can you find this behaviour of "C" and "G": if there is an "i" or an "e" after it, then "G" and "C" becomes softer.
ok, thanks, i did not know that. however there are exceptions also for this behaviour: just think of that word "Ginger". so basically you have to learn the spelling of each word one by one.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #24718
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Greetings from Ferrara, Italy
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #24719
bogdymol
bogdymod

Live picture from A1 motorway in Austria:

*ok, it's 1 minute old since I can't upload instantly from my phone.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

volodaaaa liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #24720
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Happy Birthday!

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways