daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:21 AM   #24741
geoffrey morgan
Geoffrey

Likes (Received): 0

[Europe] Film location search-Cityscape View from Road

Hi there at skyscraper city,

I'm new here! firstly what an awesome resource!

Let's get into it - I'm a production manager working from London, searching for a particular location to do some filming for a commercial.

My search is Europe wide so very broad, I thought maybe some of you may know of such a place - it's very particular, but I think specific to your interests.

A large road/motorway or autobahn approaching a Cityscape Vista, the cityscape must be in clear view as you approach it from the road.

Would any of you know of such a place? If so could you please recommend it!

I've been searching google maps, flickr and various other picture sharing platforms to trace images. Also approaching European motorcycle tour companies.

Attached is an example of a view that works well, you can be as broad and creative as you like as we are defining what would be best as we search.

Thanks for your help I appreciate its an odd request but hopefully some fun too!

If the picture does not appear he's a link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/serval...4wWchx-5s6r5g/

Last edited by geoffrey morgan; April 22nd, 2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: incorrect
geoffrey morgan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:25 PM   #24742
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

This fact is getting sadder and sadder

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM   #24743
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Heheh, me too

My dad is a teacher in a high school and some of his students are born after 9/11, a weird fact when in your mind you're just "about half a decade" out of school (I graduated high school in 2004).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM   #24744
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Heheh, me too

My dad is a teacher in a high school and some of his students are born after 9/11, a weird fact when in your mind you're just "about half a decade" out of school (I graduated high school in 2004).
I graduated in 2006 and it usually take 4 years to end a high school in my country. It is very weird feeling if I realize I could have graduated for a 3rd time this spring.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:24 PM   #24745
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey morgan View Post
A large road/motorway or autobahn approaching a Cityscape Vista, the cityscape must be in clear view as you approach it from the road.

Would any of you know of such a place? If so could you please recommend it!
Albeit not quite an approach to LA, this is an the A2 approach from south to Vienna, visible just for a very short distance, also on motorway below:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sl&l...ra=mr&t=m&z=16

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/22290716

And in Moscow they are building this:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...97180&page=227
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:53 PM   #24746
geoffrey morgan
Geoffrey

Likes (Received): 0

thanks Keber, looks like a truly epic build.! Do you know of anything, perhaps not that goliath scale that is currently standing.

Thanks

I found the Spittelmarkt Beli to be a good example...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96dpi/...-eD6hHV-mDSdWx

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...e499a344366b2b
geoffrey morgan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:55 PM   #24747
volodaaaa

Planning my summer holiday. This road trip is included:

http://tinyurl.com/mn7uxjt

I just can't wait to buy a matrica-vignette at Hungarian checkpoint and then undergo a beautiful 22 hours long trip across whole Balkan peninsula.

nbcee liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:03 PM   #24748
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11824

you gonna come back the same way you drove down? i recommend going back via Bulgaria-Romania. you could try the new Danube bridge at Vidin for example.

cinxxx liked this post

Last edited by JackFrost; April 22nd, 2014 at 09:08 PM.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:14 PM   #24749
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey morgan View Post
Hi there at skyscraper city,
(..)
Essen A40.

http://vangosen.de/revierkultur/Skyline-Essen.html

Rotterdam.

http://designdiffusion.com/en/archit...terdam-by-oma/
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:05 PM   #24750
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Yeah, it was a lot more peaceful

You've been away for a loong time, how are you doing?
Getting there. How are you doing...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:21 PM   #24751
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4003

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Planning my summer holiday. This road trip is included:

http://tinyurl.com/mn7uxjt

I just can't wait to buy a matrica-vignette at Hungarian checkpoint and then undergo a beautiful 22 hours long trip across whole Balkan peninsula.
Did you ever stopped somewhere in Serbia (except gas stations and border crossings) to see some sights? There are many interesting places worth visiting...
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:37 PM   #24752
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Did you ever stopped somewhere in Serbia (except gas stations and border crossings) to see some sights? There are many interesting places worth visiting...
Of course, I've been in Beograd and this year I am planning to have a tiny trip around Novi Sad. And if I get round to, I would like to visit Bački Petrovac.

It was my first journey last year and the progress went completely wrong. One day I made almost 1100 km, and the other day only 150 km remained So it was 6 AM when I arrived to the destination and the housewife of the apartment house was sleeping yet. Moreover, the previous guest were supposed to leave the apartment by 14.00 o'clock, so I spend whole day at beach (which was not bad, but I was tired, sweat and the beach-equipment [sunscreen included] was somewhere in the deep of my trunk, so it was not very comfortable)

I've understood it is not wise to drive stupidly fast to the destination, but enjoy the journey and see some sights along

Can you suggest me something else along, that is not "mainstream"?

Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:06 AM   #24753
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4003

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Of course, I've been in Beograd and this year I am planning to have a tiny trip around Novi Sad. And if I get round to, I would like to visit Bački Petrovac.

It was my first journey last year and the progress went completely wrong. One day I made almost 1100 km, and the other day only 150 km remained So it was 6 AM when I arrived to the destination and the housewife of the apartment house was sleeping yet. Moreover, the previous guest were supposed to leave the apartment by 14.00 o'clock, so I spend whole day at beach (which was not bad, but I was tired, sweat and the beach-equipment [sunscreen included] was somewhere in the deep of my trunk, so it was not very comfortable)

I've understood it is not wise to drive stupidly fast to the destination, but enjoy the journey and see some sights along

Can you suggest me something else along, that is not "mainstream"?
Nice to hear that. Well, I can suggest you Palić, just after Hungarian border. There's very nice lake and parks, including a ZOO. You can also visit Subotica, which is almost connected with Palić. Then, I suggest Smederevo with its medievial fortress at the Danube. Skull tower in Niš is little bit creepy but worth visiting the third largest city in Serbia. Motel at Džep (which means "pocket" in Serbian) is famous for its grilled meat (pljeskavice)! These spots I can remember at the moment. P.S. If you would visit Bački Petrovac, don't miss to visit nearby village of Kulpin, famous for its castle and agriculture museum. Since 70% of population is Slovak, you can speak Slovak there.

volodaaaa liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:04 AM   #24754
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

I can also recommend Palic, Subotica, Novi Sad, Smederevo and Nis, been there myself.

But, as Jack_Frost said, if you are not in a hurry back from/to your destination, you could drive also through Romania and Bulgaria, stay over night somewhere.
In the area of Romania where you would be driving, I would recommend Arad, Timisoara, maybe Baile Herculane and Orsova...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #24755
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

MEANWHILE IN ARABIA

Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #24756
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Young men - Alcohol - Women = that

x-type liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #24757
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
So he obviously kept a home address in Italy to keep it registered on.

And let me tell you something about UK insurance: they're the most money-throbbing backward health and safety obsessed freakshow institutiion in the whole of Europe, who still not recognise the enjoyments of free movements within the EU. Most EU nationals are provided with a E-card now, entitling its citizens to free healthcar throughout the continent all year round.
Well yes, but you know how much of a pain UK insurance is and therefore I doubt that I'll be able to do that. And indeed, it is certainly an inhibition to some extent on free movement. My last policy allowed me 7 days outside the British Isles.
It seems that it would cost a lot of money and bother to re-register and then re-register my car in France, I doubt it's worth it, especially for a car that's worth a few hundred quid now. On the other hand, I've heard of people re-registering cars quite cheaply, looks like a lot of people are scammed into paying way too much.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #24758
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

can't you just... drive back to UK every few months then be okay?

Road_UK liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #24759
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

Possibly, the thing is that on my current insurance I can only be on the Mainland 90 days in a year, and that seems pretty standard. There are some companies that don't do that, but car insurance in the UK for young people is very expensive, I understand why, but it is annoying, and the quotes from different companies vary a lot, so one of the rare ones that allows 90 days in one go, instead of in a year is probably expensive. Plus, I wouldn't be able to use an address in Aberystwyth, where car insurance for me is quite literally more than half of what is is in London. I don't really have to worry about it for another year though.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #24760
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yay, we cracked the 25 °C / 77 °F mark for the first time this year. Now hopefully some severe thunderstorms will initiate.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

volodaaaa, DanielFigFoz liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways