daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #24781
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Thank you guys :-)

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #24782
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It's not a mistake or even "bad," necessarily, depending on what you're trying to say: with the right intonation, a native speaker can say "I can have chocolate pancakes?"...it implies that he's surprised, that he thought he couldn't. (But yes, if you're just asking for some pancakes, say "can I...?" or, better, "may I...?" I was taught as a child that "may I" is more polite. If I said "can I," I was corrected.)

EDIT: What Natomasken said (I hadn't read that post yet.)
Yeah.

@Voloda

Yeah, it is not a question. It is more an expression of bewilderment or amusement. Something surprising is happening.... The actual surprise might be staged though. It also sounds a bit childish to me actually.

Imagine a kid that didn't eat his dinner and parents are not so pleased with it forbidding any cookies. Then the grandpa coming with the cookies and the kid is like... I can have my cookies? Not believing his eyes.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #24783
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Like my grandma is handing me a plate full of chocolate pancakes and I ask her: I can have chocolate pancakes? (it is obvious that the answer is yes).

Am I right? Or is that strange kind of slang?
Yes, it is a bit odd. It usually would occur when someone didn't think something was true, but just realized maybe it was. So it's used to express surprise, and maybe just to confirm his new understanding of the situation. In this case, the person didn't think he could have chocolate pancakes, but since he was just handed some, realized that maybe he could. Another way to say it would be: Is it true that I can have chocolate pancakes?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #24784
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post

Imagine a kid that didn't eat his dinner and parents are not so pleased with it forbidding any cookies. Then the grandpa coming with the cookies and the kid is like... I can have my cookies? Not believing his eyes.
That is the exact meaning I thought of. Like my dog if I allow her to eat a biscuit after hours of begging. Although the dog is often referred as a man's best dummy friend, she has the exact words (or rather strange question) in her eyes

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #24785
bogdymol
bogdymod

I hope you like today's banner
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Verso, cinxxx liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #24786
piotr71

Quote:
It's not a mistake or even "bad," necessarily, depending on what you're trying to say: with the right intonation, a native speaker can say "I can have chocolate pancakes?"...it implies that he's surprised, that he thought he couldn't. (But yes, if you're just asking for some pancakes, say "can I...?" or, better, "may I...?" I was taught as a child that "may I" is more polite. If I said "can I," I was corrected.)

EDIT: What Natomasken said (I hadn't read that post yet.)
I always use 'may I' when for example buying coffee. Interestingly, young, British service stuff look at me a bit weirdly and suspiciously and quite often ask me to repeat the request.
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #24787
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I always use 'may I' when for example buying coffee. Interestingly, young, British service stuff look at me a bit weirdly and suspiciously and quite often ask me to repeat the request.
I've been learned, that may/might has something to do with probability whereas can is more about ability.

So if I state "May I help you" it means is there any chance I will help you?
and if "Can I help you" it means am I able to help you. I have been also learned that the second one is more impolite in small talks.

But I am not sure if my English teachers were right.

Old April 29th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #24788
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

@piotr71 At the moment all British scratters use the term "Can I get..." when asking for service. Don't know where this comes from (US perhaps) but I feel like giving them a clip. Its "Can I have...." FFS. "May I have..." & "Could I have..." are also perfectly acceptable too.

A barman (early 20's) in my local pub tells them that they can't "get" anything, waits for their response (which is usually a look of total bewilderment) and then serves someone else when they can't comprehend what's happening. He's had a few complaints made against him but the manger is 100% behind his stance.

@volodaaaa in the context of your post the word 'learned' should be replaced by 'taught'. "Can I help you?" is the most commonly used of the two although either are acceptable and both roughly mean the same thing eg the person asking is asking if they can help.

piotr71 liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #24789
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Yes, but what's a scratter? (Which my spell-check just underlined...)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #24790
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I've been learned, that may/might has something to do with probability whereas can is more about ability.

So if I state "May I help you" it means is there any chance I will help you?
and if "Can I help you" it means am I able to help you. I have been also learned that the second one is more impolite in small talks.

But I am not sure if my English teachers were right.
"may" also has the idea of "permission." Hence the idea that it's more polite. Although frankly, I say "can I help you?" at work (an office job) all the time and it's never occurred to me to do otherwise.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #24791
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post

@volodaaaa in the context of your post the word 'learned' should be replaced by 'taught'. "Can I help you?" is the most commonly used of the two although either are acceptable and both roughly mean the same thing eg the person asking is asking if they can help.
Thank you very much for correction I did not realize I meant myself as an object :-)

Quote:
"may" also has the idea of "permission." Hence the idea that it's more polite. Although frankly, I say "can I help you?" at work (an office job) all the time and it's never occurred to me to do otherwise.
Yeah. I've read a small example:

A snake can bite you - stressing the ability of snake to hurt
The snake may bite you - there is a chance that snake will bite you.

Also I have been taught that may express less certainty than might.

Old April 29th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #24792
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
The snake may bite you - there is a chance that snake will bite you.
Or that you gave it permission to bite you.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #24793
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Exactly. (Or someone gave it permission....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #24794
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

I agree that "may" relates to permission, not to possibility. A person in a store really ought to say "May I help you?" (Will you allow me to help you?) rather than "Can I help you?" (which really means, Do I have the ability to help you?). But "Can I help you?" is used most often and no one takes offense or notice of it. Hardly ever does anyone say "May I help you?" It tends to sound kind of stuffy and formal, and we (US) definitely prefer informal. In fact, it's very common for servers in restaurants these days to refer to the customers as "you guys!" ("How are you guys doing today?")
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #24795
Fatfield

Quote:
Yes, but what's a scratter? (Which my spell-check just underlined...)
Basically, low-lifes sponging off the state. They normally wear tracksuits or jogging gear and can be any age. They also have a penchant for wearing onsies and the females like to go shopping in their pyjamas/nighties. They're the bottom of the ladder here being one rung below chavs.

piotr71 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #24796
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Basically, low-lifes sponging off the state. They normally wear tracksuits or jogging gear and can be any age. They also have a penchant for wearing onsies and the females like to go shopping in their pyjamas/nighties. They're the bottom of the ladder here being one rung below chavs.
Maybe redneck or white trash are better understandable for Penn's Wood.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #24797
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

I can't say that I've ever heard the word 'scratter' either. I would say that in a shop here, normally, 'can or may I help you?' would only be asked if a shopkeeper walked up to a potential customer, you know when they follow you about and jump on you. Is that situation what you are talking about? Rather than when you are queueing to pay, I would just say 'hello sir/madam/young sir' or something like that.

Anyway, when I was in primary school we would get told off for saying 'can I...?' and were taught to say 'may I'. I don't think I think about which one I use, and I say 'could I'. One thing though, when I say 'can I', I always make sure I end the sentence with please, which is slightly less necessary with 'may', because that is already slightly more polite. I think if I was asking for a coffee I might say 'Could I/can I/may I please have a coffee'. But I would probably say 'A blah blah please'.

Whilst we're talking about English, I notice sometimes on SSC non-English natives starting sentences with the word 'wrong', then putting a comma justifying why they believe someone to be incorrect, which to me sounds rather forward, but I suppose it isn't wrong, just not a social convention.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #24798
piotr71

M4 motorway, today. Is there any comment needed?

m4-traktor
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #24799
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12131

I was about to say "at least he could stay in the slowest lane on the right"

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #24800
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Maybe redneck or white trash are better understandable for Penn's Wood.
Probably, but scratters & chavs can be any ethnicity or gender.

Tags
highways, motorways