daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #24801
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Jasper90 liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #24802
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
M4 motorway, today. Is there any comment needed?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7341/...5492dfa9_b.jpgm4-traktor
well that Massey Ferguson 6600 series can have up to 160 PS, more than enough to keep minimum speed on motorways.

(actually afaik UK doesn't have law about vmin on motorways, but if it had, it would be that silly 30 mph like in other countries)
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #24803
piotr71

Highway code:
Quote:
Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46 inclusive)
A little ambiguous, is'n it?
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #24804
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Highway code:

In Italy agricultural vehicles are clearly defined by law and they aren't allowed to exceed 40kph.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #24805
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Highway code:

Unless "Rules 36 to 46" explains it?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #24806
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I've been learned, that may/might has something to do with probability whereas can is more about ability.
I was talking to a friend about this discussion, and he mentioned something I hadn't thought of. "May" does also have a meaning of possibility, not permission, when used in a statement instead of a question. For example, "I may go home" means there is a possibility that I will go home, I haven't yet decided. "I might go home" has the same meaning. But to make things more confusing, it could also have the meaning, I have permission to go home, but that would be a less common usage.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #24807
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Meanwhile in Ukraine

Including aftermath: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=56c_1398773040

Last edited by keokiracer; April 30th, 2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Now with the correct link to LiveLeak
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #24808
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Gazprom turned back on the pipe
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #24809
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Highway code:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Unless "Rules 36 to 46" explains it?
The British Highway Code is generally quite ambiguous, and 'should' and 'must' is a very important difference. There are places where it tells the reader to do things, but it doesn't say must. But you can still get done for dangerous driving for doing things you shouldn't but can, but you won't necessarily. For example, undertaking isn't illegal, but in certain circumstances you can get done for it at the discretion of a policeman. But there are hardly any policemen outside of towns so...

Article 59 & 60:

Quote:

Clothing. You should wear

a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct size and securely fastened
appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights
light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light
reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark.
Quote:
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.
Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24
or

Quote:

Reversing vehicles. Never cross behind a vehicle which is reversing, showing white reversing lights or sounding a warning.

Moving vehicles. You MUST NOT get onto or hold onto a moving vehicle.
Law RTA 1988 sect 26
As far as I can see, the only things that a pedestrian can actually do that is illegal, is article 16 and walking on motorways, 'loitering on a crossing', or crossing a level crossing when a train is coming. There are 35 articles on pedestrians, 31 aren't actually law.

piotr71 liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #24810
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
I was talking to a friend about this discussion, and he mentioned something I hadn't thought of. "May" does also have a meaning of possibility, not permission, when used in a statement instead of a question. For example, "I may go home" means there is a possibility that I will go home, I haven't yet decided. "I might go home" has the same meaning. But to make things more confusing, it could also have the meaning, I have permission to go home, but that would be a less common usage.
Yeah, that is what I was talking about.

Let's imagine yourself in the fast tractor above You can say to driver:
Stop it, you can kill us.
or
Stop it, you may kill us.

I think the first sentence is about ability or about courage to do something, but the second one has something to do with possibility. Or how else would you express it?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #24811
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Meanwhile in Ukraine

Including aftermath: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=97a_1391213590
Accident or terrorism?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #24812
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Meanwhile in Ukraine

Including aftermath: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=97a_1391213590
Second link clearly shows that this happened in Dagestan, in Russia, not Ukraine.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #24813
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Second link clearly shows that this happened in Dagestan, in Russia, not Ukraine.
My bad. I f*cked up the link
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=56c_1398773040
It happened in Kiev.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #24814
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Just renewed my car registration for a year. Cost all of $36.00.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #24815
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

My god, no wonder your country has economical issues. I've got a Austrian reg ford Mondeo and I paid 160€ to register it and now I pay 110 per month insurance and tax...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #24816
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Exactly the reason I mentioned it. :-P
(Although I sort of had the impression this sort of thing could run to far more than 160 euros over there. Like, thousands.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #24817
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well who can keep track of all these theme-park countries, half of which are too small for a decent state, and all these unintelligible languages?

If you open up the full YouTube page, you'll note the poster - who appears to be American - says "there is no language of Austrian." Which is so illiterate that (if he's a native speaker) he really has no business commenting on anyone else's stupidity.

Refraining from comment on why it's supposed to matter more to us if it happens in Europe than if it happens elsewhere, a phenomenon visible in some Americans' reactions to the Ukraine "crisis" as compared to Syria or Sudan. (And on why it's supposed to matter more to us than it apparently does to actual Europeans. Obama's supposed to be talking Merkel into sanctioning Russia? Why?) In fact, Obama's often been "accused" of not really giving a damn about Europe. A policy George Washington would have approved of.

Ahem. Sorry.
USA doesn't buy Russian gas, Europe does. For this reason we aren't so enthusiast about sanctions. (Personally I don't like politically-motivated economic sanctions in general, free trade hould be separated from politics, look at the extreme poverty in Cuba also caused by the embargo).
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #24818
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Which is your prerogative. Actually, my main issue is this thinking-we're-the-world's-policeman mode. I see no reason this should be more important to us than it is to countries that are a lot closer to the situation. (And more important to us than any number of other messes going on right now.) If we must get involved in this at all (which I'm not convinced of), we should let European countries take the lead and back them up. That's it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

italystf liked this post
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #24819
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Who is Europe? We're divided as ever. There was this high ranking American politician - can't remember exactly who it was - wanting to know who to speak to when he wanted to speak to Europe, and he's absolutely right....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:53 AM   #24820
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

EU road deaths down by 49% 2001-2012

The ETSC (European Transport Safety Council) is reporting that EU road deaths dropped by 49% overall (55% for car occupants, 41% for others) over 12 years. That's pretty remarkable, especially if (presumably) vehicle-kms went up. The average reduction EU-wide was 7.4% per year. They attribute this to increased law enforcement, safer cars, and better roads. I haven't read through the report yet, but you can download it here:

http://etsc.eu/ranking-eu-progress-o...-pin-flash-27/

I scanned a couple of the more interesting graphs:

I wish the second graph had also shown the rates at the beginning of the period for comparison. I don't know if that's in the report but I didn't see a graph for it.

Well done, EU!
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways