daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #24981
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
For some reason American cars have the perception of being very unreliable. Perhaps due to the expensive parts to ship to Europe, and lack of experience among U.S. carmakers with manual transmission. French diesel engines are very good due to the large share of diesel in France, but petrol cars are known to be unreliable.
The reason is that American cars were in fact very unreliable, going back to the 70's and 80's, giving Japanese cars especially a big foothold here. But in the last 10 years or so, American cars have gotten much much better made and more reliable, equal to European brands and almost as good as the Japanese (and now Korean) brands.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #24982
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
My neighbor has a Mercedes GL; it's ridiculous.
there is no word to describe how i hate that car. (my old boss drove it)

in my neighbourhood we don't have large cars. dunno, the largest is Opel Insignia at number 3 i guess.
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #24983
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post

in my neighbourhood we don't have large cars. dunno, the largest is Opel Insignia at number 3 i guess.
Apart from this, I hate cars with non-transparent foils. I know it is fully fashionable, but I find it against safety. Sometimes, It is very good to see what car ahead of car in front of you do.

Penn's Woods, Nordic20T liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #24984
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
You just need to take a GL 63 AMG for a test drive. American-made with German technology

Quote:
The GL 63 AMG is powered by AMG hand-built M157 engine, which has same output as an ML 63 with optional Performance package. Thanks to 557 hp V8, it manages the 0–100 km/h sprint in 4.9 seconds and the top speed is 250 km/h.

It features a start-stop system and 557 hp are transmitted by the AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC gearbox. It has three modes: "Controlled Efficiency" (start-stop system is active and in this mode it accelerates in 2nd gear), "Sport" and "Manual". The AMG model is equipped with AMG RIDE CONTROL, combined with AIRMATIC and ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM with three modes: "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport plus". The air suspension is active and it lowers the car at higher speeds.

The GL 63 comes with 5-spoke 21-inch wheels (295/40 tires), perforated brakes, ARTICO leather adjustable sport seats, AMG floor mats, electronic assistants etc.
muahahaha
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #24985
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

How many banners of Sochi have we seen in the last couple of months? Ought to be possible to hide them....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #24986
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
How many banners of Sochi have we seen in the last couple of months?
I have no idea tbh. I basically never look at banners
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #24987
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

What do you guys pay for car insurance? I bought a new car and the insurance actually went down. It's now € 25 per month for an all-risk insurance.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #24988
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
What do you guys pay for car insurance? I bought a new car and the insurance actually went down. It's now € 25 per month for an all-risk insurance.
We have two types of insurance - mandatory and emergency (which is optional).

The mandatory is used for other drivers if I am the one guilty for the accident. The emergency is for me.

If I am not guilty for an accident, the reparation of my car is paid from guilty one's mandatory.

Since I does not have a new car, I pay only for mandatory insurance ant it adds up to 40 € per qurter.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #24989
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

I pay for my Leon 5F 1.4 TSI around 800€ per year, divided in 4 payments. This includes the mandatory insurance (Haftpflicht) and Full Casco (being a new car it makes sense to have Casco). There is also Teil Casco (which coveres things like burning, hitting an animal, theft), which is covered into Full Casco (which has extra that you are insured for accidents when it's your fault, or if you find your car damaged and the blamer is gone).

One of the criteria in Germany is to declare how many km you will drive per year. I have it set at 12,000 km, just got it right for last year, but I only had the car for half of the year, so this year I will surely have to update the value once I know I will pass it. Of course, for more km you also pay more.

Compared to what my father pays in Romania, it's a huge sum.

I also pay 58€ car tax per year.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #24990
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Last time I payed £750ish for the year (much much much cheaper than if I were still in London), which is £62 a month. It's fully comp (which sounds like the emergency one in Slovakia), third party is actually more expensive for me, I guess they don't trust young people with third party insurance (which sounds like the mandatory one in Slovakia).
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #24991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Maybe I should clarify that "all risk" means full casco in the Netherlands. I assume no risk other than a € 100 own risk for damage incurred by myself or windshield replacement.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #24992
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I forgot to mention, that I also have Selbsbeteiligung for the Casco things (have to pay minimum of from my own pocket), 150€ for matters of Teilcasco and 300€ of Fullcasco. Otherwise the insurance cost would have been even higher.

And another thing, if you don't cause accidents over the years, every year you are placed in a better class, so the insurance costs drop.
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #24993
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Not so long time ago a crime gang robbed and killed old people in Hungary. Some people were accused for it but they had to be released because the murderer could have been identified by a DNA check only, and the police had no money for that.
Last year a smartphone was stolen in the wedding of the prime minister's daughter. A DNA check was applied against all staff members.

Priorities in Hungary are quite clear.

bogdymol, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #24994
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
I pay:
800-something per year (~70€/month) for insurance. It includes the mandatory one and options like theft, burning, but not acts of vandalism.
120 per year as road tax (which is in fact a property tax in Italy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
One of the criteria in Germany is to declare how many km you will drive per year.
What happens if you declare much more or much less than you actually drive?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #24995
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I guess, if you declare much more, you just loose money, or you always have a spare buffer for next years. You won't get money back afaik, unless you update the value down at the end of the year, but I'm not sure. The new value will then also be used the next year.

Until now, nobody actually controlled my km status. But if you have an accident, I guess this information could be noted down.

If you declare less, pass that value and then need the services of the insurance, the insurance could refuse to pay you. I guess it depends in this case.
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #24996
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

In Pennsylvania, you report your mileage when you renew your registration (I just did mine last week, actually). I assume they pass that on to your insurance company. My insurance has been running around $90.00 to $105.00 a month since I became a car owner again five years ago at age 45. For a not-fancy 2002 Japanese car that I park on the street.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #24997
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I don't have to renew here anything, I can only cancel it if I want, if I don't do anything it's automatically renewed for another year.

In Romania though, you have to renew your insurance every year, the policy is valid only for the year.
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #24998
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Here it's sort of the opposite. I never do any paperwork with my insurance company...they just send me new documents with a slightly adjusted rate every six months.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #24999
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I get papers from them too, informing me about my status, payments, price changes etc.
But I don't have to do anything about it.
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #25000
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
You just need to take a GL 63 AMG for a test drive. American-made with German technology

muahahaha
no thx. for 120.000€ i would buy at least 20 other cars which would make GL AMG feel boring, stupid and unattractive.

about insurance - for 86 kW car basic insurance costs me cca 200€ per year (that covers only damage of the other car if you are guilty and certain sum for passengers). 5 months ago it was 60€ more.
full casco would cost me cca 300€ additionaly, but i don't buy it. i buy only partial casco for windshield, which costs me 50€ per year.

Tags
highways, motorways