daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #25061
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

For whatever reason, it's a cultural taboo in English-speaking countries. Until the scandal about horsemeat being sold as beef broke last year, I didn't know that horsemeat was eaten on the Continent. I don't know why we don't eat it; never had occasion to think about it. We just don't.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #25062
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
For whatever reason, it's a cultural taboo in English-speaking countries.
Interesting, didn't know that.
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #25063
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I am not sure if it is so taboo, but a LOT of people will go all weird if you mention it. But it still sounds to me like a tasty delicacy. But I guess, I'm an English-speaking guy in a mostly non English speaking environment so I'm all messed up

I also totally would go to that restaurant, the concept of fast-food horse sounds firstly - really amusing (horses are always fast!) and unique, all the places I would expect to find horse would be a lot more expensive type places.

Broccolli liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #25064
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I am not sure if it is so taboo, but a LOT of people will go all weird if you mention it. But it still sounds to me like a tasty delicacy. But I guess, I'm an English-speaking guy in a mostly non English speaking environment so I'm all messed up
Yeah, well, what are you - Polish/Flemish/Anglo-Québécois? You're more messed up than Road_UK.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #25065
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Interesting, didn't know that.
Something to do with people historically having horses they were emotionally close to - individual horses that they rode everywhere, gave names to... They were anthropomorphized enough that eating a horse would be like eating a dog or cat.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #25066
Broccolli

Quote:
Something to do with people historically having horses they were emotionally close to - individual horses that they rode everywhere, gave names to... They were anthropomorphized enough that eating a horse would be like eating a dog or cat.
Yeah like i said interesting, because we have also tradition of horse breeding.etc...But we also eat them.
I understand that "conflict of interests" dog-horse-gatto ( about the taste of the last one italians would probably know more)
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:11 AM   #25067
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12121

Quote:
Yea like i said interesting, we have also tradition of horse breeding.etc.
But we also eat them.
But i understand that "conflict of interests" dog-horse-gatto ( about the taste of the last one italians would probably know more)
Why do people think Italians eat cats? It's not the first time I hear about it
Horse meat is quite common, though. We also eat rabbit! They're no taboo, whereas cats and dogs are totally taboo

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #25068
Broccolli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper90 View Post
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unle...-cat-stew.html
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:21 AM   #25069
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper90 View Post
Maybe it's regional. Like 'possum, squirrel and assorted other varmints in the South of the U.S....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #25070
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12121

Quote:
OMG I had forgotten about this idiot
Seriously, did he not expect that the reaction to his words would have been totally negative?

Quote:
Maybe it's regional. Like 'possum, squirrel and assorted other varmints in the South of the U.S....
I have no idea, but I've never heard of it... Cats were eaten during WWII when there was absolutely no food, but it's an exceptional circumstance.
There's a rumour that people from Vicenza eat cats, but it dates back to 500 years ago

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

Broccolli liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:50 AM   #25071
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Rabbit is good eating! There is a cute little bunny that is always in my backyard, I keep thinking to grab the rifle and make a nice stew but then he hops away, but he comes back the next day! It is like the friggin cartoon...

Honestly though I don't even understand taboo about eating dog or cat, it sounds nasty but... it doesn't specifically bother me as long as advertised correctly. (then again, in US / Canada we cheat too... we always eat delicious, exotic "calamari" and never disgusting squid.)

Quote:
Yeah, well, what are you - Polish/Flemish/Anglo-Québécois? You're more messed up than Road_UK.
Yes except replace the Flemish with German, I just happen to like Vlaanderen (ond NL) for inexplicable reasons...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #25072
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Italians ate cats during and following WWII... it wasn't a delicacy, it was desperation.

Horse meat is no taboo in Italy, but it's far more common in the South.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #25073
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

Honestly though I don't even understand taboo about eating dog or cat,
In north-atlantic cultural area, dog is usually referred as a Man's best friend. Dog is indeed very wise and smart animal, almost completely domesticated. Given this, it is not very wise to eat it. On the other hand, pig is also very intelligent animal and pork is very frequent kind of meat in Europe or North America.

What personally bothers me, is not the fact about eating dogs in China, but the way how they kill them. The dog's meat is quality, when it contain adrenaline. And the only cheap way how to get adrenaline to dog's body is to beat it to death. During this kind of execution, dog is under stress and its body produces adrenaline. Despite the opinion on eating dog, this is horrible and very barbaric

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #25074
piotr71

This may fit to the current topic. Lamb sold in major British supermarkets is killed ritually.

http:// http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2626032/Asda-Sainsburys-Tesco-sell-halal-meat-live-kill-animals-not-stunned.html
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #25075
Broccolli

Another slovene (well not just slovene they eat them in many other countries also) delicacy are frogs, more exactly frog legs. I remember when i was a child my grandfather took me with him to pick up frogs on several occasions. Must say that fried frog legs with a slice of lemon are very delicious.

Then there are snails, my father's favourite delicacy. But you must prepare them right. Fresh live snails you must put into a dark place for a couple of days, that they clear out their intestines Then you clean them and cook them in boiling water full of herbs. Then you pour over them butter with garlic and parsley ...)

Last edited by Broccolli; May 14th, 2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: recipe
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #25076
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

my gf grandmother cooked snails when we were last time there.
They were still alive when thrown in the cooking bowl, and they tried to escape, then her grandmother hit them with a spoon to get back in there...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #25077
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Snails and frogs are known to be French delicatessens. I don't like everything about France..
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #25078
Broccolli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Snails and frogs are known to be French delicatessens. I don't like everything about France..
Frog...it's their nickname
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #25079
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Yeah, like Krauts for the Germans, Cloggies for the Dutch, Limeys for the Brits and Slobodans for eastern Europeans in general.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #25080
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

We already had this discussion... it seems that the same topics resurface again and again
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways