daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #25121
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Symbolic Danube well in Donaueschingen is being refurbished. So don't be surprised if Danube in your city* will be dry ;-))

A Duna forrása by Attus74, on Flickr

* Actually for forum members that live nearby Danube ;-)

volodaaaa liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #25122
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
good luck
I can't believed it, but everyone voted in favour

Finally, our house won't look like from Lunik IX. Time to have some drink. I will attach before-after photo, but after the renovation will be done.

bogdymol, Jasper90 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #25123
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
* Actually for forum members that live nearby Danube ;-)
Which is, what, everyone except Chris and me?

EDIT: And Daniel and Joshsam and of course Kanadzie and....

Sorry, can of worms.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #25124
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

It is really a highway. The road in the picture is B500, called as "Schwarzwaldhochstrasse" which literally means "Black forest high way", actually meaning "peak way" or "top way". This road runs along the peaks of the Black Forest Mountains, in 800-1200 meters above sea level and connects a lot of holiday resorts.

Schwarzwaldhochstrasse
by Attus74, on Flickr

Verso liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #25125
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

If something costs for example 37.60, and you have some coins in your pocket, do you prefer giving 40.60 and getting 3.00 for change or you give 40 and get bunch of coins?
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #25126
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12131

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I can't believed it, but everyone voted in favour
I'm very happy for you!!
Quote:
Finally, our house won't look like from Lunik IX.
Nice example

Quote:
Time to have some drink. I will attach before-after photo, but after the renovation will be done.

Remember to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
If something costs for example 37.60, and you have some coins in your pocket, do you prefer giving 40.60 and getting 3.00 for change or you give 40 and get bunch of coins?
Sure 40.60 to have 3.00 back!

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #25127
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Well, ideally there's just 1 coin difference. €3.00 = €2.00 + €1.00 (2 coins). €2.40 = €2.00 + €0.20 + €0.20 (3 coins). Recently I bought something for €51.51, but instead of €52.00 I gave €52.55.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #25128
volodaaaa

Quote:
Good topic Prefer to get rounded change. But if I get bunch of coins, I usually fill the self-service cash desk at Tesco up by them

If have to pay 7.42 €, I insert all the small copper coins I have in (let it adds up to 5.12) and then add 2+1 € coin. The cash give me the change of 2.30, which is often made up by non-copper (read "normal) coins It is good way to get rid of them.

Alex_ZR, Jasper90 liked this post
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #25129
Alex_ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Well, ideally there's just 1 coin difference. €3.00 = €2.00 + €1.00 (2 coins). €2.40 = €2.00 + €0.20 + €0.20 (3 coins). Recently I bought something for €51.51, but instead of €52.00 I gave €52.55.
37.60 was random sum which first came to my mind. But you get the point.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #25130
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
By the way, the normal French transliteration for Putin (as in You-Know-Who) is "Poutine."

But in Quebec, "poutine" is also this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/montrea...ine/6138504180

Never tried it myself. Kanadzie?
I'm not too much a fan, I don't like the cheesy bits and the crispyness of frieten is the best part anyway

I admit though always chuckling reading about "Vladimir Poutine", there are a lot of poutine places (like frituur-s) on the road in small towns, etc with names like "Monsieur Poutine" or "le Roi Poutine" (poutine king) and I always end up making a joke about Vlad
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #25131
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper90 View Post
I'm very happy for you!!
Sure 40.60 to have 3.00 back!
Unless you regularily use a coffee machine that doesn't give change...
Quote:
37.60 was random sum which first came to my mind. But you get the point.
You don't have cents with dinars, right?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #25132
italystf

Meanwhile in Russia
http://video.corriere.it/guerra-cent...c-12e8f7025c68
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #25133
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I'm not too much a fan, I don't like the cheesy bits and the crispyness of frieten is the best part anyway

I admit though always chuckling reading about "Vladimir Poutine", there are a lot of poutine places (like frituur-s) on the road in small towns, etc with names like "Monsieur Poutine" or "le Roi Poutine" (poutine king) and I always end up making a joke about Vlad
Joke few months ago in the Italian SSC:
We have a transgender politician whose name is Wladimiro Guadagno, but it's known with the pseudonym of Vladimir Luxuria.
There was a thread about the situation in the Ukraine and it was mentioned also the issue of Transnistria, that wants to join Russia. One wrote that a place called Transnistria shouldn't belong to Vladimir Putin but to that other Vladimir.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #25134
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Well, ideally there's just 1 coin difference.
Sorry, actually the difference is 3 coins, because you first get rid of at least 2 coins if you give €40.60, but not if you give €40.00.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #25135
italystf

In Italy there are talks to eliminate the 1 and 2 cents coins and rounding prices to the nearest 5 cents.

Jasper90, bogdymol, Airman Kris™ liked this post
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #25136
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Am I going to need the change in the near future (for laundry, say)? Or, conversely, am I carrying so much coin around it's getting annoying?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #25137
Alex_ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Unless you regularily use a coffee machine that doesn't give change...

You don't have cents with dinars, right?
Yes, we don't have paras, smallest coin is 1 dinar. But we have prices like 162.28 or 499.99 which are rounded when paying.
I gave example with euro, since most people here live in Eurozone, where are 8 coin denominations, while in Serbia there are only 3 (1, 2 and 5 RSD; 10 and 20 RSD are both coins and banknotes, but 90% are banknotes, coins rarely seen).

This morning my bill in a shop was 236 RSD, and I gave 1000 RSD banknote and the cashier asked do I have 6 or 40 dinars, after which I gave her 40, so my change was 804. Lack of coins in a cash register I guess.
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #25138
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Don't you guys know Bitcoin is the future...none of this matters.
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #25139
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Hooray! Another American on this thread!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 15th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #25140
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Hooray! Another American on this thread!
Let's discuss the metric vs. imperial system issue

Tags
highways, motorways