daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #25161
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Cats rule OK!

Skyline_ liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #25162
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Cats are evil.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #25163
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
He isn't. Storm in a glass of water. If anything else the BBC is in trouble with its over the top political correct views. And we're used to a little controversy from good ol' Jeremy.
Minor linguistic point: Americans say "tempest in a teapot" and I would have assumed that the English would too. Or is that the Dutch-Austrian in you? I've seen the glass-of-water version in French.

Jeremy is an ass, and we're used to him being an ass, and he's (usually) amusing about it. I've seen headlines, and seen what he's supposed to have said. And this may be a rare instance when he might have gotten into more trouble here than in Britain. (We never, ever use that word. The version I grew up with, and I never knew there was another one, is "catch a tiger...") But wasn't there talk of "one more strike you're out"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #25164
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Storm in a glass of water
Storm in een glas water

Almost the same
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #25165
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Hey, Daniel, or whoever knows -

How much trouble is Jeremy Clarkson in?
Everyone has forgotten about it already, as I said they would. And I would use the same expression as Road did, well I don't think I'd actually say it, but it is what I'd used if I decided to say it.

And the word Clarkson used, whilst unacceptable here, was the way he would have learnt 'eeny miny miny mo' or however you spell that in those days, though I've only seen it in old books and the like.

Road_UK liked this post

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; May 16th, 2014 at 05:10 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #25166
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Jeremy is alright. Sometimes he speaks before he thinks, but that's what I like about him. He doesn't let political correctness get in the way. I own and have read a few books he has written, and he is actually a very intelligent and warm-hearted man.

BBC on the other hand are making one blunder after the other. Only the other week they sacked an elderly DJ who played a song from 1947 with the word n*gger in it. The DJ wasn't aware, but they sacked him anyway, causing a storm of protests. The BBC offered him his job back with an apology, but the DJ refused, as he felt humiliated enough as it is.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #25167
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

So being an ass is sort of an act? His shtick, in American pseudo-Yiddish?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #25168
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So being an ass is sort of an act? His shtick, in American pseudo-Yiddish?
Of course it's all an act. If you get a chance, do read this book...

It's a wonderful bundle of short stories about his travels around Europe and the USA. Very honest, and very easy to relate to. I'm sure it's downloadable somewhere, and you get a whole new insight about the man.
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #25169
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Cats rule OK!
When I was small, a dog bit me in the back that I lost consciousness.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #25170
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Yeah in Canada, we never learned inches system, but we use it all the time in my industry and colloquially

It's quite simple, it is often more simple than metric since things are not based on 10 but more convenient numbers. Example 12 inches per foot, so 1/2' is 6", 1/3' is 4", 1/4' is 3" and so on. 1/2 m is easy, 500 mm, but 1/3 m is 333.3333 mm sillyness. But now everyone has smartphone so why care?
this is ok when you must make thirds, quarters etc. but hell, in metric system all you need to know is 10. in imperial system you have inch, 12 inches is foot, 3 feet is yard, 1760 yards is mile (now i see there are some never-heard things like chains and furlongs inbetween, and numbers of 22, 10 and 8 in relation

btw, how you measure ver small lenghts? we can always put in relation mile - kilometer, yard - meter, inch - centimeter. but how to express less units? milimeters are really often used here in metric system. do you use [inch]x10^(-1) or what?
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #25171
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

del
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; May 17th, 2014 at 01:11 AM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #25172
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I think your link is wrong
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #25173
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Road fatalities in the world, year 2010
http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A997?lang=en
San Marino is the only country in the list without fatalities.
The most dangerous country appears to be the small island of Niue, but just for statistical reasons, because 1 person died in a very small population. Maybe they won't have any road-related death in the next decade or so.
Russia obviously has the worst score in Europe, but surprisely, it's better than most African, Asian and Latin American countries. Probably the widespread use of dashcams in that country, which is almost non-existent elsewhere, contributed to exagerate the association of Russia with bad driving.
China has the highest overall number of fatalities, followed by India, Nigeria, Brazil and the United States.
Egypt, also known in Europe for terrible driving habits, surprisely, ranks quite well in the African continent.
Excluding microstates, that aren't rapresentative because statistics can be influenced by 1 or 2 accidents and because cars are rarely used in small islands, the safest countries (less than 5 deaths in 100k people) are Sweden, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Ireland and Israel.
The most dangerous countries (more than 30 deaths in 100k people, also excluding microstates) are Thailand, Venezuela, Iran, Nigeria, South Africa, Iraq, Guinea Bissau and Oman.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #25174
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
btw, how you measure ver small lenghts? we can always put in relation mile - kilometer, yard - meter, inch - centimeter. but how to express less units? milimeters are really often used here in metric system. do you use [inch]x10^(-1) or what?
An inch is really the smallest unit used. Everything is in a fraction (not 10ths) of an inch. My metric wrenches are 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, etc. Perfectly easy and logical. My imperial wrenches are 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", etc. And my drill bits are 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", etc.! It's just ridiculously harder to use. Especially when measuring something with a ruler that will typically have markings down to 1/16". Is that mark 3/8ths or 7/16ths? It's hard to easily tell.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #25175
Road_UK
BANNED

Talk about Jeremy Clarkson was far more interesting. I think he disclosed the length of his dick in inches once, but I can't quite remember.
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #25176
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Something I'm not sure I care about, really....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #25177
Road_UK
BANNED

Not sure = maybe
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #25178
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Or a polite way of saying one doesn't give a ****.

But why are you bringing it up? As it were.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #25179
Road_UK
BANNED

Felt like a good idea
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #25180
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Whatever floats your boat.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways