daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #25201
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
But it would be interesting to see which would eventually be the better economy:
A currently-battered Greece or Moldova (the poorest out of the former Yugoslavian territories)

Moldova wasn't part of Yugoslavia, it doesn't even border any of the former Yugoslavia. It was part of the USSR (Soviet Union).

I don't think Moldova's economy will overtake that of Greece in our lifetimes. Moldova is extremely poor by European standards, it's GDP per capita is even below that of numerous Asian and African nations. Romania's GDP per capita is more than three times that of Moldova.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Alex_ZR, crimio liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #25202
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Slovenia used to produce some buses (TAM). But AFAIK it is now part of Iveco.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #25203
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I don't know..."our lifetimes" is a long time. Longer for some of you than for me*. I don't know Moldova at all (I do know where it is. :-) ) but the Transfugarasan episode of Top Gear was on a couple of hours ago here, and I couldn't help thinking that 25 years ago (20 years before it was filmed, probably) no one would have expected Romania to look anything like it does (at least on Top Gear) now.

*Not being morbid at all there, but just changed the first digit of my age a couple of months ago....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

lucian.lucaci liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #25204
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What's that name of that Greek dip again? Goes nice with Pringles... Vol.....???
tzatziki?
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #25205
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Moldova's future is uncertain due to the Transnistria problem. Moldova has little industry, most of it is located in Transnistria which the Moldovan government doesn't control. I believe most of rural Moldova is still at subsistence level.

A merger with Romania has been proposed in the past because apparently Moldovans are ethnic Romanians with a different label. They speak the same language and Moldova was part of Romania in the past and northeastern Romania is also known as Moldova.

Moldova rarely reaches the headlines in the media though. It's fairly unknown.
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #25206
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4003

Talking about European GDP bottom nobody mentioned Albania, which was isolated for decades under Stalinist regime of Enver Hoxha.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #25207
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I know that under Soviet rule, the language in Moldova (which was called, in English, Moldavia at the time) was called Moldavian and written in Cyrillic. I know that since Moldova became independent, they went back to the Latin alphabet (which is why that picture the other day made me say, hey wait) but I'm wondering - and a Romanian or Moldovan would know - if Moldovan is still considered a separate language (maybe with spellings and so on that are different from what's used in Romania) or is it considered Romanian (of course there still could be differences)?

Just curious.

EDIT: Arrows for Chris' post.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #25208
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Talking about European GDP bottom nobody mentioned Albania, which was isolated for decades under Stalinist regime of Enver Hoxha.
The three lists in Verso's post show the Albanian GDP per capita (PPP) is at least double that of Moldova (in some cases nearly triple).

Albania has better prospects than Moldova, mostly because it has more natural resources. Albania's labor force is still heavily focused on agriculture, with nearly half of Albanians employed in agriculture, yet agriculture accounts for only 20% of GDP. This is fairly common in developing countries, because the value of agriculture per laborer is lower than in other sectors.
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #25209
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Slovenia used to produce some buses (TAM). But AFAIK it is now part of Iveco.
TAM went bust in 1996. Then it was TVM, which went bust in 2011. Now it's apparently TAM-DuraBus (website in English only :rolleyes: ). AFAIK, they are the world's largest producer of airport buses (with foreign license, I think). I drove with one of them at Dubai airport.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #25210
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Okay, where the f--- did GMaps put the scrolling function? Or did they eliminate it altogether (like house numbers)? Was it too useful?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #25211
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
tzatziki?
No ik starts with a V.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #25212
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Someone from Ljubljana outskirts won 21 million euros at EuroJackpot. :O Lucky bastard.
Another one; 28 million euros this time. A few more and we're out of recession.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #25213
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^its millions, not billions
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #25214
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The PPP takes the differences in cost of living into account, which is important to compare countries. Especially the cost of housing varies a lot between countries, as well as taxation levels (just compare Dutch road taxes to German road taxes while incomes are similar).
As much of the cost of building a road is in Diesel and imported machinery and Bitumen made from Venezuelan sources and cement which relies on fossil energy to manufacture it is fairly irrelevant what the PPP values are.

They only impact on labour and some locally sourced materials and land prices.

I would think that absolute GNP or GNI is more important than a PPP adjusted GDP in determining the affordability of a modern road network so.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #25215
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I know that under Soviet rule, the language in Moldova (which was called, in English, Moldavia at the time) was called Moldavian and written in Cyrillic. I know that since Moldova became independent, they went back to the Latin alphabet (which is why that picture the other day made me say, hey wait) but I'm wondering - and a Romanian or Moldovan would know - if Moldovan is still considered a separate language (maybe with spellings and so on that are different from what's used in Romania) or is it considered Romanian (of course there still could be differences)?

Just curious.
In Republic of Moldova the 2 main languages used are Romanian (written in latin alphabet) and Russian (cyrilic alphabet).

Some of the ultra-nationalistic pro-Russian politicians from Moldova tried to make the people think that Moldavian is a separate language from Romanian. Actually, it's the same language, just that they speak with a strong local accent (quite funny accent for us, Romanians). We can understand eachother without problems. In fact, I even had a classmate at my University that was from Republic of Moldova and we had no problems talking to each other in Romanian.

A good example is British English vs. USA English. You know after the accent that a person is British or American, but he still speaks the same language that you can understand. Same thing for Moldavian vs. Romanian.

Moldovan (Moldavian) language = Romanian language

PS: that picture with the billboard written in cyrilic was in Russian language (spoken by a lot of people in Republic of Moldova)
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Penn's Woods, Vignole, lucian.lucaci liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #25216
Quilavoce
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Moldova's future is uncertain due to the Transnistria problem. Moldova has little industry, most of it is located in Transnistria which the Moldovan government doesn't control. I believe most of rural Moldova is still at subsistence level.

A merger with Romania has been proposed in the past because apparently Moldovans are ethnic Romanians with a different label. They speak the same language and Moldova was part of Romania in the past and northeastern Romania is also known as Moldova.

Moldova rarely reaches the headlines in the media though. It's fairly unknown.
Romania cannot afford a merger with such a poor country that really brings nothing to the table other than to satisfy some nationalistic feelings.

volodaaaa liked this post
Quilavoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #25217
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilavoce View Post
Romania cannot afford a merger with such a poor country that really brings nothing to the table other than to satisfy some nationalistic feelings.
If it wasn't for the anomalous Russian bit stranded in Transnistria it is quite probable that Moldova would have rejoined Romania prior to Romania joining the EU ....in my opinion anyway.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #25218
Quilavoce
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
If it wasn't for the anomalous Russian bit stranded in Transnistria it is quite probable that Moldova would have rejoined Romania prior to Romania joining the EU ....in my opinion anyway.
Maybe Romania should join Moldova

By the way, I just learned the most fascinating thing which is that Moldova is on the Danube! I had no idea. They have less than 500 m of river bank next to Ukraine and opposite Romania.
Quilavoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #25219
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Maybe Romania should join Moldova

By the way, I just learned the most fascinating thing which is that Moldova is on the Danube! I had no idea. They have less than 500 m of river bank next to Ukraine and opposite Romania.
i think that officially it is 650 metres actually

Quilavoce liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #25220
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
That's it. But since the language comprehensity, is not here negative net migration rate towards Romania?

The same goes for Ruthenia. There are some voices in Slovakia or Hungary to annex it as the crisis in Ukraine started. But it is such a stupidity. We no longer live in imperial age and space (territory) lost its importance unless it contain huge amount of resources. But Ruthenia is one of the most poorest areas in UA. I may sound selfish, but I think, Hungary or Slovakia already has enough poor areas to donate within the territories.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways