daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #25221
Quilavoce
BANNED

Receiving Moldovans as immigrants is one thing, but incorporating the territory completely different involving development of infrastructure, for example. And Romania has a long way to go in this respect on its current territory, let alone having the capacity of transforming the poorest country in Europe. Plus, Moldova really doesn't have much resources and it's landlocked. Romania would gain nothing.
Quilavoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #25222
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9075

So what about annexation of former Democratic Republic of Germany to the other part in 1990? It was the same faint business, but no one says that it was unnecessary. And it was quite similar situation to the Moldovan.

I guess that if there's a land with the same (or almost the same) culture, divided mostly for political matters (as Moldova was a part of USSR and Romania - just in communist block) there's no serious reason to maintain that state. See that progress with economy and integration with other countries goes very weakly in Moldova. That country is at the best way to stay the poorest and become an European outsider. And another Russian zone. No one in EU needs this.

As for it, I guess that Moldova should become an another Romanian state, as Romania is stable and civilized country. Then should be modernized, using EU funding, for better and calmer life of everyone living in Europe.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.

lucian.lucaci liked this post
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #25223
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

I think that Moldovans can get Romanian citizenship and passport, so actually many Moldovans work in the EU thanks to Romanian passport.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #25224
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
So what about annexation of former Democratic Republic of Germany to the other part in 1990? It was the same faint business, but no one says that it was unnecessary. And it was quite similar situation to the Moldovan.

I guess that if there's a land with the same (or almost the same) culture, divided mostly for political matters (as Moldova was a part of USSR and Romania - just in communist block) there's no serious reason to maintain that state. See that progress with economy and integration with other countries goes very weakly in Moldova. That country is at the best way to stay the poorest and become an European outsider. And another Russian zone. No one in EU needs this.

As for it, I guess that Moldova should become an another Romanian state, as Romania is stable and civilized country. Then should be modernized, using EU funding, for better and calmer life of everyone living in Europe.
Then we can bring up a topic over importance of Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland or Liechtenstein accordingly. Btw. I don't refuse your opinion. I'm just trying to understand and explain the Romanian statement.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #25225
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9075

There are significant differences between countries you've written between ones you mean as similar (I guess Germany, France and Netherlands). Maybe except Austria, which, indeed, was formerly seen as a part of German Reich, but in case of possibility of getting force like before WWI and WWII the idea was abandoned and nowadays, at era of EU, it would be useless. What's more, there are serious reasons to maintain the current state, historical and economical. Excluding Belgium, all of written countries are very stable, but perspectives of some partitions of Belgium are much smaller than in case of Moldova or Ukraine.

And except Moldovan poverty, instability and cultural relationship with Romania, it's worth mention that more Moldovans live in Romania than in Moldova!

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #25226
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
There are significant differences between countries you've written between ones you mean as similar (I guess Germany, France and Netherlands). Maybe except Austria, which, indeed, was formerly seen as a part of German Reich, but in case of possibility of getting force like before WWI and WWII the idea was abandoned and nowadays, at era of EU, it would be useless. What's more, there are serious reasons to maintain the current state, historical and economical. Excluding Belgium, all of written countries are very stable, but perspectives of some partitions of Belgium are much smaller than in case of Moldova or Ukraine.

And except Moldovan poverty, instability and cultural relationship with Romania, it's worth mention that more Moldovans live in Romania than in Moldova!
Many of USSR republics were made and treated as kind of statistical units, therefore, lot of consequences occurred after the dissolution of USSR.

Old May 18th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #25227
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

It all depends on consent. If both Moldova and Romania decide to join and vote for it then fine ( it may even happen sooner rather than later and Transnistria may have very little say in it at the end of the day) ...now that Putin seems to have gone megalomanic. Putin cannot have it both ways can he?!?!

Belgium split from Holland by consent..and is effectively split in two nowadays.

Slovakia split from the Czechs by consent.

Scotland votes later this year, too close to call that but I think a simple majority in favour is not enough and it may be 50.1%-49.9% on the day. At 55-45 things are more clearcut.

Kosovo will probably join Albania after its final status is determined in 10 years or so but some of Kosovo may equally join Serbia or Macedonia ( again by mutual consent)

The Basques are split across two states and only recently ( since 1980) achieved cultural recognition from either of the French and Spanish. The Catalans are not as split up, being mainly in Spain, but the possibility always remains that they may do a Slovakia on it and that the rest of Spain will not be inclined to hold on to them against their wishes.

I would not see borders as immutable in Europe, only that using military force to change them or to deliberately displace populations in cleansing operations is not acceptable behaviour.

Last edited by sponge_bob; May 18th, 2014 at 03:30 PM.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #25228
volodaaaa

Nice gesture from Italian goalie after Slovak hockey player in front of him were hit by puck in face. He immediately leaned over and asked if everything is all right. The name of the goalie fits his character :-)

makaveli6 liked this post
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #25229
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
An inch is really the smallest unit used. Everything is in a fraction (not 10ths) of an inch. My metric wrenches are 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, etc. Perfectly easy and logical. My imperial wrenches are 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", etc. And my drill bits are 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", etc.! It's just ridiculously harder to use. Especially when measuring something with a ruler that will typically have markings down to 1/16". Is that mark 3/8ths or 7/16ths? It's hard to easily tell.
Sometimes people use fractional inch to describe things to me, like 3.4375 inch instead of 3-7/16, it annoys me 7/16 and 3/8 are easy to tell apart, 7/16 is the one closer to half

We use a lot the unit "thou" for like a machine shop (engineering works), it's 1/1000 of an inch. Curiously though we are officially metric, most machinists think in "thou" and convert ISO tolerances back to thou...

Metric fasteners have taken over. I have both sets of tools, my inch ones mostly shiny, my metric all dirty and nasty because actually used. Even American cars made in the USA are basically 100 % metric fasteners since the late 1980's. (but there was a while (say 1977 - 2000 ish) when some parts were metric, some inch, that was ******* annoying)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post

Belgium split from Holland by consent...
LOL, by consent after they had been killing each other for a year
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #25230
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

Back from Metrology group meeting in Paris. Best quote from the British representative: "Do you know about the F word? Yes, that one: Fahrenheit"
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #25231
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

[yawn]

Seriously, can we PLEASE try to go 24 hours on this forum without discussing the metric system and how bizarre/stupid/"learning-disabled"* countries that don't use it are? Sheesh. Get a more interesting obsession.

*in a post since erased

PS: Nine possible values to every five, Spinoza....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; May 18th, 2014 at 10:03 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #25232
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Happy Victoria Day (or Jour des patriotes, if you prefer), Canadians!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #25233
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Okay, here's a suggestion for a game: say something positive about the previous poster's country. Who wants to start?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #25234
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Okay, here's a suggestion for a game: say something positive about the previous poster's country. Who wants to start?
The Ford Mustang.

(Interesting, I was wondering which country I would be classified as being from)

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; May 18th, 2014 at 11:18 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #25235
bogdymol
bogdymod

Madeira Airport's runway is really cool

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

keokiracer liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #25236
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Romania's come a long way since 1989.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #25237
volodaaaa

US gave the world the internet and e-mail

Kanadzie, nbcee, Penn's Woods liked this post
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #25238
Quilavoce
BANNED

Quote:
Romania's come a long way since 1989.
What does it have to do with a Portuguese airport?
Quilavoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #25239
bogdymol
bogdymod

Absolutely nothing ->

Quote:
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #25240
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

Quote:
[yawn]

Seriously, can we PLEASE try to go 24 hours on this forum without discussing the metric system and how bizarre/stupid/"learning-disabled"* countries that don't use it are? Sheesh. Get a more interesting obsession.

*in a post since erased

PS: Nine possible values to every five, Spinoza....
Mine was just a joke. You should laugh more. And 9 values instead of five dont make yoir system more accurate, that law zero od metrology (otherwise we could simply increase our measurement precision by arbitrarily choose a smaller unit, which is a physics nonsense...)!

Ps keep in mind that the joke was made by a Brit, who used F until basically yesterday...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways