daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #25341
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You should read some of the comments on the SSC Facebook fan page. Some people are truly addicted and desperate...
They should've seen SSC in 2006/07 when it was out regularly. Sometimes for a week.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #25342
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpiana View Post
Don't agree with what?

I did not say that US more attacked from terrorists then rest of the world, neither I did say that are the most attacked country in the world by terrorists. Still, If you look in the past few decades, most attacked countries from terrorists continuously, are Israel and USA.

If you have different opinion, or data, please tell us...
Okay, just compare the number of people killed at Universities or Cinemas in US due to crazy fools with guns with the number of killed embassy employees. And, to make it more ridiculous, keep the topic in EU and NATO. I wonder if there has been at least single person killed in past two decades.

Yep, I was right. Last two US embassy employees were murdered in Nicosia, Cyprus in 1974.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks...tic_facilities

Last edited by volodaaaa; May 26th, 2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Source
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #25343
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
They should've seen SSC in 2006/07 when it was out regularly. Sometimes for a week.
I joined in 2007. The forum has been up pretty much constantly since then (if not for short periods during maintenance).

I did notice during this downtime, however, that I probably spend more time on this forum than I think I do.

makaveli6 liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #25344
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I joined in 2007. The forum has been up pretty much constantly since then (if not for short periods during maintenance).
Maybe it was just in 2006, I don't remember exactly.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #25345
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Greetings from Budva, Montenegro!
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #25346
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Greetings from Budva, Montenegro!
Do you have any plans to visit bar?

Old May 27th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #25347
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

No, I will drive to Skodra on the E80 tomorrow, then to Tirana.

Today I visited Kotor, climbed up to the fortress, then drove on the "old road" to Cetinje then to Budva. Enjoyed some great views with the Kotor bay and with Budva & Sveti Stefan.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #25348
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

No, not Bar, just a bar, any bar!
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:11 AM   #25349
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Don't take it that seriously. I just personally think, countries in NATO should not be considered as potential threat. It completely refuses the nature of NATO. How can it work if one country does not believe in others? As you properly said, sht happens, but even inside US.

And comparing NATO countries with Ethiopia or Libya, you were just kidding ain't you?
Sorry...been off line. At Mom's where my 4G doesn't work and for some reason they can't activate the 3G. So I'm catching up. Still don't know what happened in the Belgian elections...all I've heard is EU and Ukraine. And not much EU.

Are you saying that this sort of security at an embassy in a NATO country means to you that the country itself is seen as the threat? Because I'm sure no one's expecting to be attacked by nice Slovaks or Austrians. :-) If the idea is that we should be able to trust the Slovaks and Austrians to protect our embassies from baddies within their borders....

Well, let's compare embassy security to security at government buildings in the U.S. I don't know how much attention people in Europe paid to the Oklahoma City bombing, but about a month later, the stretch of street in front of the White House was closed to motor vehicles, and it remains closed. Not just officially closed, but physically blocked with big planters and such. Rationale stated at the time was to prevent truck bombs like what happened in Oklahoma City by preventing trucks from getting close enough. Then, of course, 9/11 happened....and within a few days a ridiculous fence went up around Independence Hall in Philadelphia - "ridiculous" because it's not going to stop anyone really intent on doing harm to the building, just inconvenience law-abiding Philadelphians (I lost part of my running route) and tourists.

Heck, the best comparison for embassies may be to the State Department itself. I go to a book sale there every year (fundraiser for what used to be the diplomatic corps' wives' association, so lots of international stuff, travel books, books in foreign languages....) and it's like airport security getting into the building (the sale's on weekends, for what it's worth). Do you see that sort of heavy fencing with armed men? No. But the same sort of street furniture that blocks access to the White House.

So don't take it as an affront to Slovaks...just standard procedure to prevent shit happening.

(Also, embassy security has become a political issue here since the Benghazi attack...mostly because it was Hillary Clinton's responsibility at the time.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

volodaaaa liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #25350
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post

I did notice during this downtime, however, that I probably spend more time on this forum than I think I do.
Well, there's compulsively refreshing it while you're officially doing something else....

(Who, me? )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #25351
Kanadzie

PW is basically right. The manner in which the US encloses its embassies in reasonable countries is seen as a big middle finger to the people of those countries - BUT the US does the exact same thing in itself (continental US). So we should not be so offended.

The streets blocked off around the White House are something else, the one along the north side is paved with stones and I once saw a bunch of people playing ball hockey with roller skates or something as the "SECRET SERVICE" cars and people sat around. I am always amused by those police cars with the big "SECRET SERVICE" written on them, maybe it is still secret to blind people...

Jasper90 liked this post
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #25352
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
New York City and New York City, Washington DC, Pennsylvania. I'm not going to look for data because you tell me so. If you want to prove me wrong, you go ahead and fish for data yourself. I'm on my evening off.
Oklahoma City.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #25353
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
PW is basically right. The manner in which the US encloses its embassies in reasonable countries is seen as a big middle finger to the people of those countries
Well, I had no idea it was seen that way, so I've learned something.

(Na zdrowie, volodaaa, or whatever the Slovak is.)

EDIT: At the White House, they're concerned about vehicles, not hockey players on rollerblades. Pedestrian access has mostly remained open.

That said, on the day Pope John Paul II died, I was in Washington - the way I found out he'd died, in fact, was when I saw that the flag on the White House was at half staff so I called my mom.... Some minutes later I was walking across Lafayette Square, the park that's directly across Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House when a Secret Service agent or police officer or whatever politely rerouted me...they were keeping all pedestrians out of the western half of the square. Within a couple of minutes, a fleet of black vehicles - armored cars and limos - came roaring up from the White House grounds and went speeding up Connecticut Avenue. It was apparently the, um, President at the time going to the Catholic cathedral to pay his respects.

Unfortunately, this isn't the 19th century, when Presidents held receptions on New Year's Day that were open to everyone and Lincoln - even during the Civil War - would be besieged by members of the public as he moved around the building.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; May 27th, 2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:32 AM   #25354
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is this, the terrorist guide forum? We just had 3 days of attacks.
Would you prefer to discuss the metric system?

How about the EU elections? (Or Belgian ones?) Or does no one care? I caught a bit of the BBC TV coverage around 10 to 11:30 p.m. British time yesterday but they were talking precious little about anything outside Britain. A few minutes about France and a lot of "calls" of results in British constituencies.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #25355
Kanadzie

The whole point of EU elections is not caring... the surprising thing about this one is all the attention it is getting because a lot of politicians that hate the UE have actually become Europarlementarieers, it reminds me of home
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #25356
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Like when the Bloc québécois was Her Majesty's "Loyal" Opposition?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Kanadzie liked this post
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #25357
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Oklahoma City.
And Boston.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 27th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #25358
volodaaaa

Sorry for cutting in, but I need an English-related advice.

I need to transform the following sentence into passive voice:
"We took the advantage of its simplicity to verify the hypothesis stated afore".

Could it be done like this?
"The advantage of its simplicity has been taken to verify the hypothesis stated afore"?
or
"Its simplicity has been taken advantage to verify..."

Thank you very much ;-)

Old May 27th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #25359
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

What the hell is afore?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #25360
volodaaaa

Quote:
What the hell is afore?
it is used in scientific paper instead of "above" Referring to something you are expected to have already read.

Tags
highways, motorways