daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:24 AM   #25541
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

That 'Icelandic' guy from Norway?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:28 AM   #25542
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Yes, but when's Italy going to restore its monarchy?
This is expressely forbidden by our constitution, issued in 1948. Until 2002, members of the Royal Family weren't even allowed to enter Italy.
Coincidence, today 2 June is the Republic Day, a civil festivity, since we voted for republic against monarchy on 2 June 1946.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:34 AM   #25543
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Not really. And because it was anti-Soviet (so was Romania) and had good relations with the West, nobody in the West saw it coming. When the West DID respond, it was already too late. They sent UN peacekeepers, but by then everybody lost the plot anyway.
Romania, unlikely Yugoslavia, was in the Warsaw Pact.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:45 AM   #25544
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Monarchy, schmonarchy.

Beatrix really started a trend, didn't she?

What happened - scandal, he just wants to retire...?

(And aren't there two or three long-serving monarchs in Scandinavia?)

PS: we do call him "Juan Carlos," not "John Charles."
so basically, same as Beatrix
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:52 AM   #25545
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This is expressely forbidden by our constitution, issued in 1948. Until 2002, members of the Royal Family weren't even allowed to enter Italy.
Coincidence, today 2 June is the Republic Day, a civil festivity, since we voted for republic against monarchy on 2 June 1946.
It's 3rd June. :P
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:26 AM   #25546
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
According to Karl A. Sinnhuber Yugoslavia was in Central Europe. (oh, and Finland!)
Wait, Yugoslavia was in Finland? :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's 3rd June. :P
Depends where you are.... In Finland, or Jakarta, for example, it's the 3d. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

bozenBDJ liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:34 AM   #25547
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
so basically, same as Beatrix
Did Beatrix ever go elephant-hunting?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:41 AM   #25548
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Did Beatrix ever go elephant-hunting?
Not that I know of
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:46 AM   #25549
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:

Yes, but when's Italy going to restore its monarchy?
Why should we?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:37 PM   #25550
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I was being facetious.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:10 PM   #25551
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Sorry, I used the term "Bosnia" only here for short. The name of Bosnia and Herzegovina was explained in its historical areas context. But students were completely confused when I told them, that BiH consists of two lands, but those are not Bosnia and Herzegovina, but Fed. of BiH and Republic Srpska
The country of Bosnia and Herzegovina is usually shortened to "Bosnia" in Dutch as well. It wouldn't surprise me if most people from outside the region would think Srpska is the name of Serbia. If people are aware that Bosnia and Herzegovina consists of two entities, they will probably think those to entities are Bosnia and Herzegovina, not Bosnia and Herzegovina and Srpska.

Another observation, a U.S. state is usually called a "staat" (state) in Dutch, but states of other countries are usually called a "deelstaat" or (sub state) as if U.S. is the only country in the world which has states.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:40 PM   #25552
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if most people from outside the region would think Srpska is the name of Serbia.
I though the same sevaral years ago. And before 2008 events I though that Abkhazia was one of the many Russian autonomous region, like Chechnya, Daghestan, Tatarstan,... (I just read its name somewhere and never bothered to look at a map and find that it was inside official Georgian borders).
Old June 3rd, 2014, 04:43 PM   #25553
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
The country of Bosnia and Herzegovina is usually shortened to "Bosnia" in Dutch as well. It wouldn't surprise me if most people from outside the region would think Srpska is the name of Serbia. If people are aware that Bosnia and Herzegovina consists of two entities, they will probably think those to entities are Bosnia and Herzegovina, not Bosnia and Herzegovina and Srpska.

Another observation, a U.S. state is usually called a "staat" (state) in Dutch, but states of other countries are usually called a "deelstaat" or (sub state) as if U.S. is the only country in the world which has states.
Yeah, there is a strange exception in Slovak language since:

Serbian republic (Srbská republika) (rarely used) is the official long name of Serbia and
Republic of Srpska (Republika srbská - it goes against basic grammar rules) is the name of the entity within BiH.

Sub-state seems very logical. Here we use the name "state" (štát) or "country" (krajina). Sometimes it gets confusing, so adjective "constituent" is used (in Slovak federatívna). Example: Ukraine was constituent republic within the USSR.

As for USA, it is often referred as "America" for short, which I find wrong. The use of "States", which is IMHO much more correct, is really peculiar.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:21 PM   #25554
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Last year a guy from Bulgaria asked at Serbian section is it safe to drive through Republic of Srpska and does he have to give some money as a bribe at the border of Srpska and the rest of BIH. He thought that Republic of Srpska is some unrecognized breakaway republic like Transdnistria or South Ossetia!
History and geography should be more important subjects at schools anyway.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:28 PM   #25555
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Last year a guy from Bulgaria asked at Serbian section is it safe to drive through Republic of Srpska and does he have to give some money as a bribe at the border of Srpska and the rest of BIH. He thought that Republic of Srpska is some unrecognized breakaway republic like Transdnistria or South Ossetia!
History and geography should be more important subjects at schools anyway.
I don't know what is worse. If someone does not know about the existence of my country, or if has any, but very distorted knowledge like "do you have an electricity? do you have hot water?" etc

Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:35 PM   #25556
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
As for USA, it is often referred as "America" for short, which I find wrong. The use of "States", which is IMHO much more correct, is really peculiar.
You mean in English?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:43 PM   #25557
volodaaaa

Quote:
You mean in English?
In Slovak, but AFAIK it is that used also in English.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:57 PM   #25558
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

What you say in Slovak is your business.

What we say in English is ours. :-P

(Seriously, I've had the "why do Etats-uniens insist on calling themselves Americans" argument so many times on French forums I'm sort of over it. Particularly since the same people have no problem whatsoever using "Europe" and "European" in a sense that leaves out Switzerland and Norway and.... [end soapbox mode])

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:02 PM   #25559
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Quote:
I'm no history scholar, but I think that the original intent was that US states would be like independent countries. The central government would have very limited powers, mainly to provide a common defense and maintain good relations (commerce) between the states. Almost the way I see the EU today (without the defense part obviously). Over the years, the central government has developed more and more powers, and is now widely involved in just about every aspect of life in the states. This makes sense, because when the country started, the fastest form of transportation and communication was a horse and there was very limited interaction between the states. But with modern transportation and communication, the states are much more connected.

I also don't like to use the term "America" and normally will say "the US." It seems like saying America is dismissive of other countries in North and South America (although no one ever refers to this part of the world as America, it's North America, Central America, South America, or "the Americas"). The problem comes with describing a person or thing from the US. You really can't get around saying "American." "United States of American" obviously isn't going to work. Although the architect Frank Lloyd Wright came up with the term "Usonian" which I kind of like.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:14 PM   #25560
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I find we (Americans) tend to limit "America" and "American" to emotive, patriotic contexts. ("God Bless America!") I regularly hear Brits saying "America" in contexts where "U.S." would sound more natural to me. ("The U.S. government," for example.) But there's no alternative to "American" as a noun for the people of the U.S. (Alternatives suggested by Frank Lloyd Wright or anyone else don't count until native speakers actually adopt them.) And since the English-speaking world treats the Americas as two continents, "American" isn't ambiguous, as it is in, say, French.

And I have trouble accepting the "using American for the U.S. is disrespectful to Canadians" argument when Canadians themselves, of both official languages, use it routinely. Whether it's disrespectful to Latin Americans... well, I wouldn't do it in Spanish. If I ever used Spanish.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways