daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #25661
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

"Soccer is a complex game"?

Not nearly as complex as American football...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #25662
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #25663
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Not again.... This Euro-American debate is getting old...
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #25664
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It's not a debate. I just said American football is more complex than European one. As a matter of fact, i like American football more.
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #25665
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

What debate? I thought it was funny. And at our expense.

Sheesh.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #25666
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's not a debate. I just said American football is more complex than European one. As a matter of fact, i like American football more.
As Italian, you should thank God for Slovakia did not qualify

Old June 11th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #25667
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I won't follow World Cup... I don't even know which teams are in
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #25668
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
btw i have found out today that self-service car wash which i use accepts 10 HUF coins and recognizes them as 2 HRK good exchange rate! (it also accepts 1 PLN coins, but rate is bad, machine recognizes them as 1 HRK )
Back in the 80's & early 90's a 5p coin (shilling) was the same size and weight as a 1 DM coin in West Germany. It was very useful to know this when visiting GDR for us Brits as the vending machines selling cigarettes accepted the 5p coins. This resulted in us being able to buy a pack of 20 cigarettes for 20p when they were about £2 a packet at the time.

The cost of 20 cigarettes was 4DM and the exchange rate was approx 2DM to £1. Pity the authorities cottoned on. What with all the Brit bases over there at the time it must of cost the German economy a fortune at the time.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #25669
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Greetings from sunny Sneek, Friesland, Netherlands. Two more days of swimming here and then off to Maupertus-sur-mer, Normandy, France...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #25670
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Back in the 80's & early 90's a 5p coin (shilling) was the same size and weight as a 1 DM coin in West Germany. It was very useful to know this when visiting GDR for us Brits as the vending machines selling cigarettes accepted the 5p coins. This resulted in us being able to buy a pack of 20 cigarettes for 20p when they were about £2 a packet at the time.

The cost of 20 cigarettes was 4DM and the exchange rate was approx 2DM to £1. Pity the authorities cottoned on. What with all the Brit bases over there at the time it must of cost the German economy a fortune at the time.
In North America it's the other way around: Canadian and U.S. coins are close enough in size, to the casual observer, that an American would have had no trouble dealing with Canadian coinage, and vice versa. At least until Canada introduced $1.00 and $2.00 coins that actually caught on.

But apparently they were just different enough that you couldn't, at least in my (limited) experience, fool a vending machine.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #25671
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
In North America it's the other way around: Canadian and U.S. coins are close enough in size, to the casual observer, that an American would have had no trouble dealing with Canadian coinage, and vice versa. At least until Canada introduced $1.00 and $2.00 coins that actually caught on.

But apparently they were just different enough that you couldn't, at least in my (limited) experience, fool a vending machine.
But then no one can fool those fools forever...
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #25672
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

In Canada I have frequently been given US coins as change from stores, they have basically infiltrated the money supply at par. Mind you it is typically always the penny (both very close in appearance and size, and value), but I've even gotten a US quarter at least once or twice (but it's really rare)
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #25673
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
But there's South Korea unfortunately. (remember 2002 edition)
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

volodaaaa liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #25674
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post

You mean FRG (West Germany), not GDR (East Germany).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #25675
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
In Canada I have frequently been given US coins as change from stores, they have basically infiltrated the money supply at par. Mind you it is typically always the penny (both very close in appearance and size, and value), but I've even gotten a US quarter at least once or twice (but it's really rare)
I've gotten Canadian pennies too. But I guess you won't be getting U.S. pennies any more.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #25676
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

In euro currency zone people usually do not check the coins they get. Of course every euro and eurocent coins are valid in the whole area of the zone but it may be interesting to see what you have.
Currently I have 8 coins (not counting the great amount of 1 and 2 cent coins which are stored in a little box).
- 1 from Fance
- 1 from the Netherlands
- 2 from Belgium
- 1 from Austria
- 2 from Germany
- 1 from I don't know which country (but surely not Germany)
And I live in Germany and I'm quite sure I got all of them here in Germany.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #25677
volodaaaa

Good topic :-)
Currently I have (2, 1 and 0,50)

5 from Slovakia
1 from Germany

:-(

Old June 12th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #25678
italystf

Recently I got 2 euro from Monaco, never seen one before.
Old June 12th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #25679
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I am a collector, i have over 100 different euro coins from various nations. I also collect other coins from the world, I have over 4000 of them.
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #25680
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

after my Balkan trip I gave some coins from BiH, AL, MK, HR to a friend home, who is also a collector. He was very happy
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways