daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #25721
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

I prefer no barrier, and wide, depressed grassy median. I think it is safest. But as for bus safety, stop taking bus to places, drive your car instead
Actually, I am afraid of buses. Safety development of passenger cars still goes on and new devices and systems are being invented and introduced to make a indestructible tank of car. But look at the buses. Except the design, it is still a fragile cartoon box. If I can't ride my car, I prefer trains more.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #25722
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I am very happy to have no front plate rule where I live... on my European-made Mercedes there isn't even a place on the car to put it. I guess front-plate is installed with some ugly bracket My old Saab though has a nice place for it, so I put old European license plate there
Lucky you. My car would definitely look better without front plate or bracket.
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #25723
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Actually, I am afraid of buses. Safety development of passenger cars still goes on and new devices and systems are being invented and introduced to make a indestructible tank of car. But look at the buses. Except the design, it is still a fragile cartoon box. If I can't ride my car, I prefer trains more.
I believe that they designed the buses to be a slow ass beast that carry 20 over ppl ,rather than a bullet speed express buses that goes 60kmh on the highway . In a accident that have the bus overturned the roof, simply crumples rather than supporting it like a car. Countries should really consider banning express buses routes up to 2-3 hours and recommands trains for journey more then that.
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #25724
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

I am wondering if there is a connection between Pen-nsylvania and Tra-nsylvania.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #25725
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
I am wondering if there is a connection between Pen-nsylvania and Tra-nsylvania.
The prefix is Trans-(s)ylvania, so better compare it with Penn-sylvania

The prefixes "trans" and "cis" are more used in chemistry, but also in geography:
trans- is basically referring to something farther and
cis - is something closer.

Transdnistria, Transcarpathia, Cisleithania and Transleithania etc.

Penn's Woods liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #25726
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

In Roman times there were Gallia Cisalpina (before the Alps, present-day northern Italy) and Gallia Transalpina (across the Alps, present-day France).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Penn's Woods liked this post
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #25727
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

The West Bank is known here as Cisjordan, and Jordan was formerly known as Transjordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Btw. the code displayed on Euro banknotes says the country it was issued in too.
And there is also a small code which says where it was printed. I know the Dutch printer (G in the 1st series) has printed notes for almost every damn country in Eurozone.

By the way, I've caught some rare notes. The rarest one I have is an Irish €100 note. I wonder how much is paid for one...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #25728
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
silva, ae, f. - forest in Latin

Female name "Silvia" has the same root.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #25729
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
The king of England who gave the land* to William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, named it after him. (Okay, that was a messy sentence, but I've played with it enough and I haven't had any caffeine yet. Grammar-naziing myself. ;-) )

Yours truly's user name is how it's usually translated.

"Trans" means across, so Transylvania = across the woods? My Latin's rusty.

*yes, no one asked the Indians....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #25730
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
"Trans" means across, so Transylvania = across the woods? My Latin's rusty.
Doesn't "across" mean "through"? Because "trans" in Latin conveys more the idea of "on the other side of".
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #25731
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

You could describe a building as being "across the street" from the one you're in. No idea of "through" in that instance.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 13th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #25732
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You could describe a building as being "across the street" from the one you're in. No idea of "through" in that instance.
Right. Thanks for the clarification.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #25733
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Here's a term that's new to me....:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubly_...locked_country

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 13th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #25734
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

What company would you recommend and what advises for renting a car in Portugal? I'm planning to fly there in a month.

I have never rented a car before.

I will stay 10 nights, arriving after 23:00 in Porto, and departing from Faro at 16:00.
Should I consider renting multiple times, only for the days I know I will do longer trips or for the whole time?

My driving plans would be:
1. Porto-Coimbra-Lisbon - 1 day
2. The Sintra park area and Cabo da Roca - 1 day
3. Lisbon to south coast, then drive along the coast to some destinations and tot the airport - 4 days

Last 2 I could plan to have 5 consecutive days...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #25735
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

So have our Dutch friends already broken out the jenever? (Or is it genever?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #25736
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

It's jenever

And I don't drink alcohol so no
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #25737
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Are there hooligans at American sports? It appears to me Americans have 1) more family friendly sports and 2) have more varied sports with large public interest. In Europe it's 90% soccer, the rest is niche market most of the times (except perhaps the Tour de France). Ice skating seems to be a Dutch thing.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #25738
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Hooliganism doesn't seem to be anywhere near as widespread here as it apparently is in Europe. Things you read about like English football stadiums needing to keep the visiting fans separated from home ones - physically separated, I mean - or Italian teams playing to empty houses because there was trouble last time those teams played each other... seem inconceivable to me. Even in the most heated rivalries. I can't imagine Yankee Stadium needing to keep Red Sox fans in a separate section, for example.

(Now, people from outside Philadelphia like to bring up the time a football crowd here threw snowballs at Santa Claus, but that was 35 years ago and I wasn't there....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #25739
Quilavoce
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
silva, ae, f. - forest in Latin

Female name "Silvia" has the same root.
Silvia is not just a female name. Ask Berlusconi.
Quilavoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #25740
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

People take their kids to sports - baseball, (American) football, basketball, hockey...even soccer*, all the time. Never been to a hockey game myself (that's ice hockey, by the way...what's called "hockey" in, say, Belgium is "field hockey" here), but to plenty of the other four while I was growing up.

*If there are a "big four" sports, and I think there still are, soccer would be 5th now.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways