daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2014, 11:44 AM   #25921
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I've read it's highly recommendable to carry a firearm on Svalbard outside the main urban center.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2014, 12:35 PM   #25922
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Here in Southern Netherlands, for 35 days around the summer solstice it doesn't get completely dark at night. I don't know the exact astronomical explanation, but it is something like at this latitude, during these weeks, there is enough refraction on the atmosphere to prevent total darkness. The effect is not that strong, but noticeable for the attentive eye used to look up to the sky.

At Frankfurt latitude, though, this doesn't happen.
Old June 21st, 2014, 01:50 PM   #25923
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I've read it's highly recommendable to carry a firearm on Svalbard outside the main urban center.
Does the sea around Svalbard ever freeze in winter? Is the polar bear population based on the islands or does it go there seasonally from far away ice fields?
Old June 21st, 2014, 04:20 PM   #25924
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
The problem is how they act. I mean, the normal, well dressed, good bahaved and educated Roma girl looks like tanned white. On the other hand, there are also Romas, who are whiter than me. Moreover, Roma people are the same race as white people - Caucasian, so whoever talks about racism in terms of Roma people is stupid, or is black or asian.

Romanian or possibly bulgarian roma (gypsy) girl outside LiDL. She looks quite good, rather white not that dark.

This guy is also roma (begging outside ÖB) but he has much darker skin, looks indian to me.

Roma-people could be anything from black to white
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:39 PM   #25925
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
If we have had a large black or muslim minority back in the 1930s, I doubt that Mussolini (as well Hitler and other collaborationist regimes, like Vichy France, the Independent State of Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia and Norway) and other fascist dictators), would have been nice with them.
They prosecuted Jews and Roma because they were the most consistent minority in Europe back then.

As for the fact that the USA started to protect human rights before Europe, I don't think that any European country, except maybe Tsarist Russia, had slavery legal within its borders until the 1860s (although many countries still practiced colonial slavery as late as WWII, with France and Portugal continuing it later).
Racial discrimination became a taboo everywhere in Europe after the denazification in the middle 1940s and even homosexuality became an acceptable fact after 1968 movements. It's difficult for an European to imagine, that, for example in 1960, an American citizen from Alabama, couldn't study at university because of its skin colour. Or that in the early 2000s Texans shouldn't talk loud about their sexual practices, not because of privacy but to avoid facing legal prosecutions. Or that many conservatives still oppose teaching some scientific topics (evolutionism, astronomy,...) at school because they are against the Bible. And maybe those conservatives also criticize islam because "they are all fundamentalists".
Gays couldn't marry in France at the beginning of last year. And a significant proportion of French people are still protesting the fact that that's changed. It just drives me crazy that certain Europeans seem to jump on every opportunity to present my country as the evil empire, as if its bad side were all there is to it. Millions, millions of Europeans - including all of my great-grandparents - chose to come here. I have to assume they had their reasons.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:50 PM   #25926
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Roma issue is definitely not in line with racism. That statement would be either wrong or stupid.

I am not affraid of Roma just because of their skin colour. Whoever has seen the Roma in reality would agree, Roma don't have significantly darker skin colour than common tanned white. The problem is how they act. I mean, the normal, well dressed, good bahaved and educated Roma girl looks like tanned white. On the other hand, there are also Romas, who are whiter than me. Moreover, Roma people are the same race as white people - Caucasian, so whoever talks about racism in terms of Roma people is stupid, or is black or asian.

The another issue is the term "Negro". It is terminus-technicus, Negroid race is something used by scientist, demographers or ethographers. What is wrong on that notion.
Okay, call it "xenophobia" instead of "racism." Does that (1) make me not "stupid" and (2) make lynching more or less unacceptable? You do know what lynching means, don't you? It means when a private citizen takes someone who he knows or suspects has committed a crime and, instead of turning him over to the police, beats him up and leaves him for dead. And that wording - beat him up and left him for dead - was used in the coverage of this French thing (and I believe, by the way, the police had just released him). (In the old South, it meant actually hanging him, i.e., making certain he was dead.) But instead of being outraged at this sort of vigilantism, the nice lefty French people (most of them) on Le Monde's forum are arguing about whether it's only okay to lynch Roma who you suspect of being thieves or okay to lynch them just because of who they are and by the way when are we going to round them up somewhere.

It's blatant bigotry no matter how you label it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Jasper90 liked this post
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:54 PM   #25927
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
those racism things are really going over all limits.
in 1990es they teached us at english lessons that negro was a proper word. what are black men called if negro insults them? and why they call each other with insulting terms, and when white men (or asians, however they are called, i am afraid not to insult them) call them the same, it is rasicm?
"Negro" was obsolete well before the 90s. And the past of "teach" is "taught." Perhaps your "English" teachers needed a refresher course.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Attus liked this post
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM   #25928
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13998

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

Romanian or possibly bulgarian roma (gypsy) girl outside LiDL. She looks quite good, rather white not that dark.

This guy is also roma (begging outside ÖB) but he has much darker skin, looks indian to me.

Roma-people could be anything from black to white
Roma people are very heterogeneous. They speak different languages, have different traditions etc. and as your example shows they don't even look the same. You can also hear sometimes that members of one one Roma group can look down on other groups.

Only in Hungary we have 6+1 different Roma groups - but even those can be divided further.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

Jasper90 liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:36 PM   #25929
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
And the past of "teach" is "taught." Perhaps your "English" teachers needed a refresher course.
A typical trap in English language

Another frequent mistake is "payed" (when they mean paid).

Once I saw someone posting about a "knot-point". That is a very literal translation of Dutch "knooppunt" (interchange).
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:29 PM   #25930
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Frankly i am more into learning some other languages now (Italian, spanish, polish). My english is also not stagnating, but going in wrong direction Because when Communicating with Turks, Chinese etc, and i do it at work, one must often use wrong grammar cases to be understood properly.

Honestly I knew that past participle was taught, but I wanted to write it thought, so I thought actually that I have mistaken it with to think
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:34 PM   #25931
x-type
con los terroristas

But really Penns, what is the proper word for black people?
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:51 PM   #25932
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
My english is also not stagnating, but going in wrong direction Because when Communicating with Turks, Chinese etc, and i do it at work, one must often use wrong grammar cases to be understood properly.
That's true, many people speak English, but on a basic level. I often find I have to use "simple English" in Europe, because otherwise they don't understand it.
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:01 PM   #25933
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Okay, call it "xenophobia" instead of "racism." Does that (1) make me not "stupid" and (2) make lynching more or less unacceptable? You do know what lynching means, don't you? It means when a private citizen takes someone who he knows or suspects has committed a crime and, instead of turning him over to the police, beats him up and leaves him for dead. And that wording - beat him up and left him for dead - was used in the coverage of this French thing (and I believe, by the way, the police had just released him). (In the old South, it meant actually hanging him, i.e., making certain he was dead.) But instead of being outraged at this sort of vigilantism, the nice lefty French people (most of them) on Le Monde's forum are arguing about whether it's only okay to lynch Roma who you suspect of being thieves or okay to lynch them just because of who they are and by the way when are we going to round them up somewhere.

It's blatant bigotry no matter how you label it.
Listen, a stinky and loud white man is sitting in the bus. He is annoying and I ask him to leave the bus. Pretty much common situation, agreed?

Now imagine the similar situation - a stinky and loud Roma man is sitting in the bus. He is annoying and I ask him to leave the bus. Should I blame myself for being xenophobist or racist? It is completely ridiculous.

Me, personally, but majority of people from Eastern Europe as well, don't hate Roma people because they are Roma people. But hate certain individuals who behave very bad. If a Roma individual tries to fix the reputation and is raletively well educated and good behaved to apply for a job, he or she will surely get the same chance as the non-Roma individual.

There is no aparheid at all as some non-governmential organisations try to prove. I finished my job as a teacher yesterday and I had a bunch of non-white pupils: some Asians, one Muslim and two Romas.

If they were good, were given good marks, if not, were given bad marks as well as the others were. Am I racist? Should have I given them only good marks because they were different?

Because the Roma situation is pretty nebulous. If a society tries to treat them equally, it is racism, because they are different, you can't treat them similarly. Well ok then, society tries to treat them differently, but.... what hell do you think, it is racism! How can you treat them differently? Ok, treat them equally.... on and on...

What would you do, if a criminal Roma moved in next to you? Would you respect his "culture" and let him disturb your life or would you treat him as a regular citizen of United States and call for you rights given (I assume) by Constitution?

To be honest, Slovaks are shitty nation and I am totally aware it despite I have lot of friends and family amongst and fiancee as well. And I will never blame anyone who tell that Slovaks are lazy, rude, stupid and stealers. I would try to convince him/her they are not and would try to fix the reputation instead.

JackFrost liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:08 PM   #25934
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's true, many people speak English, but on a basic level. I often find I have to use "simple English" in Europe, because otherwise they don't understand it.
btw i wrote that quoted post on cell phone so some weird autocerrections occured
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:32 PM   #25935
piotr71

Quote:
(..) To be honest, Slovaks are shitty nation and I am totally aware it despite I have lot of friends and family amongst and fiancee as well. And I will never blame anyone who tell that Slovaks are lazy, rude, stupid and stealers. I would try to convince him/her they are not and would try to fix the reputation instead.
Those, who say so are not worth your efforts, let them live their "under-life" alone. Such people would not understand anything what goes over their limited ability to look and see the world.

If it comes to the Gypsies, I completely agree with you.
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:36 PM   #25936
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

(..)
How did you know that? She looks like a Polish girl forced to beg on street by Irish travelers, doesn't she?
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:54 PM   #25937
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

That girl doesn't look gypsy at all. Could be from anywhere. And if she has Romanian citizenship, I would say she is not gypsy, those look more like the guy posted below.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:55 PM   #25938
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

She could be well educated hipster as well

Btw. Just have seen the Big Fat American Gypsy wedding episode. There were no gypsies at all

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:20 PM   #25939
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11829

Quote:
Listen, a stinky and loud white man is sitting in the bus. He is annoying and I ask him to leave the bus. Pretty much common situation, agreed?
i dont think anyone who isnt forced to live next to a big, loud, uncivilised roma family will ever understand this. However, I am always disappointed how little empathy "westerners" show in this -okay, it gets better in western EU due to experience ;-)

Anyway, I dont care about their opinion, really.

cinxxx liked this post

Last edited by JackFrost; June 22nd, 2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: typo
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:25 PM   #25940
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Does the sea around Svalbard ever freeze in winter? Is the polar bear population based on the islands or does it go there seasonally from far away ice fields?
I think the sea doesn't freeze extensively due to the the last spur of the gulf stream: I'm pretty sure bears are resident there.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways