daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:46 AM   #25941
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I think the sea doesn't freeze extensively due to the the last spur of the gulf stream: I'm pretty sure bears are resident there.
So theoretically the bears could be sterilized so in couple decades there are no more bears threatening the human population...

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2014, 05:49 AM   #25942
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
So theoretically the bears could be sterilized so in couple decades there are no more bears threatening the human population...
OMG no, not again!!!

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

bozenBDJ, Verso liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:41 AM   #25943
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post

How did you know that? She looks like a Polish girl forced to beg on street by Irish travelers, doesn't she?
He doesn't. He thinks all beggars are gypsies. And he films them. Quite sick really...

How come that the discussions on here always lead to gypsies anyway?

Jasper90 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:20 AM   #25944
piotr71

Just too many East Europeans here. And maybe some of them are even undercover Gypsies ... looking for a prey.

Skyline_ liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:20 AM   #25945
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
He doesn't. He thinks all beggars are gypsies. And he films them. Quite sick really...

How come that the discussions on here always lead to gypsies anyway?
Not always:-) we could have discussed soccer and fahrenheit issues as well.

Btw. Theoretically, after today, we are leading back to winter

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:28 AM   #25946
piotr71

Beginning of a wedding party on the largest car park in the world :)

Kanadzie liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:42 AM   #25947
volodaaaa

This FIFA WC is a bulldump. Who has apointed those refrees? Poor Bosnia:-(

nbcee liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:51 AM   #25948
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
This FIFA WC is a bulldump. Who has apointed those refrees? Poor Bosnia:-(
The vast majority of the games is decided by wrong decisions of referees. Yesterday we saw three games: the referee did not call penalty for Iran although he must have done it, and another referee cancelled Bosnian score although it was definitely not offside. 2 serious mistakes in three games. And it happens almost every day.
It's quite ridiculous.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:00 PM   #25949
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Referees are humans as well. Perhaps there should be an option to appeal to a maximum number of dubious decisions by a referee.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:42 PM   #25950
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11824

still, at least when the mistakes are obvious, they should reset the score. Mistakes like this we saw yesterday are inacceptable on this level. I mean, all the effort, work and money for nothing, just because the referee made a mistake...
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:45 PM   #25951
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Or use technology for situations that can be objectively measured, like goal-line technology (in use), off-side positioning (potential), balls out-of-bounds (very easy to implement, just a variation of goal-line).
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:11 PM   #25952
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
still, at least when the mistakes are obvious, they should reset the score. Mistakes like this we saw yesterday are inacceptable on this level. I mean, all the effort, work and money for nothing, just because the referee made a mistake...
I've seen Bosnia tomorrow. They performance got very low after that disputable situation. Nigeria played very well anyways.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:24 PM   #25953
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4003

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I've seen Bosnia tomorrow. They performance got very low after that disputable situation. Nigeria played very well anyways.
You mean "yesterday"?
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:33 PM   #25954
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
You mean "yesterday"?
Sure:-)

Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:43 PM   #25955
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Impressive.
One of my coworkers is in Svalbard now with midnight sun and all.
The midnight sun is marvellous and outlandish! Can't wait to get back to Svalbard, even buy a house for summer holiday!
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:13 PM   #25956
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Here in Southern Netherlands, for 35 days around the summer solstice it doesn't get completely dark at night. I don't know the exact astronomical explanation, but it is something like at this latitude, during these weeks, there is enough refraction on the atmosphere to prevent total darkness. The effect is not that strong, but noticeable for the attentive eye used to look up to the sky.

At Frankfurt latitude, though, this doesn't happen.
That is more an atmospheric phenomena than an astronomical one. And it depends on how you define the word "dark". :-)

The basic reason why there is such a thing as a twilight is that the atmosphere reflects the light of the Sun even when the Sun is below the horizon. The following way to define three degrees of twilight in a formal way is in a widespread use:

- Civil twilight occurs when the center of the Sun is up to 6 degrees below the horizon: One can rather well read and work without artificial light.

- Nautical twilight occurs when the center of the sun is 6-12 degrees below the horizon: The horizon is still visible at sea, and the brightest stars appear. Thus, the measurements by a sextant are possible.

- Astronomical twilight occurs when the center of the Sun is 12-18 degrees below the horizon: For most people, this period is dark, but for the astronomers not because all the stars are not yet visible.

The altitude (not corrected for refraction) of the center of the Sun at the solar midnight on the northern hemisphere is calculated as following:

Altitude = Latitude+Declination-90

The declination of the Sun varies roughly between -23.4 and +23.4 degrees during the year. In theory, the midnight Sun on the day of the summer solstice is visible between the latitude 66.6 (Arctic Circle) and the North Pole. However, the impact of refraction and the apparent size of the Sun is about 50 arc minutes, and the midnight Sun is visible as south as on the latitude 65.7 degrees.

On the same day, the civil twilight lasts all night long on the latitudes 60.6-65.7. Respectively, the solar midnight occurs at the nautical twilight on the latitudes 54.6-60.6, and at the astronomical twilight on the latitudes 48.6-54.6.

For example, the following are the hours of the Sun's movement visible in Helsinki this night (local time):

22:49 - Sunset
00:40 - End of civil twilight, nautical twilight begins
01:22 - Solar midnight
02:04 - End of nautical twilight, civil twilight begins
03:55 - Sunrise

Suburbanist liked this post
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #25957
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A typical trap in English language

Another frequent mistake is "payed" (when they mean paid).

Once I saw someone posting about a "knot-point". That is a very literal translation of Dutch "knooppunt" (interchange).
Ik niet spreek nederlands but I really really like the word "knooppunt", it feels more like it is than "interchange"...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM   #25958
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:

Go tell the WWF.

By the way, greetings from construction sites-ridden Karlsruhe!
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:33 AM   #25959
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
That is more an atmospheric phenomena than an astronomical one. And it depends on how you define the word "dark". :-)

The basic reason why there is such a thing as a twilight is that the atmosphere reflects the light of the Sun even when the Sun is below the horizon. The following way to define three degrees of twilight in a formal way is in a widespread use:

- Civil twilight occurs when the center of the Sun is up to 6 degrees below the horizon: One can rather well read and work without artificial light.

- Nautical twilight occurs when the center of the sun is 6-12 degrees below the horizon: The horizon is still visible at sea, and the brightest stars appear. Thus, the measurements by a sextant are possible.

- Astronomical twilight occurs when the center of the Sun is 12-18 degrees below the horizon: For most people, this period is dark, but for the astronomers not because all the stars are not yet visible.

The altitude (not corrected for refraction) of the center of the Sun at the solar midnight on the northern hemisphere is calculated as following:

Altitude = Latitude+Declination-90

The declination of the Sun varies roughly between -23.4 and +23.4 degrees during the year. In theory, the midnight Sun on the day of the summer solstice is visible between the latitude 66.6 (Arctic Circle) and the North Pole. However, the impact of refraction and the apparent size of the Sun is about 50 arc minutes, and the midnight Sun is visible as south as on the latitude 65.7 degrees.

On the same day, the civil twilight lasts all night long on the latitudes 60.6-65.7. Respectively, the solar midnight occurs at the nautical twilight on the latitudes 54.6-60.6, and at the astronomical twilight on the latitudes 48.6-54.6.

For example, the following are the hours of the Sun's movement visible in Helsinki this night (local time):

22:49 - Sunset
00:40 - End of civil twilight, nautical twilight begins
01:22 - Solar midnight
02:04 - End of nautical twilight, civil twilight begins
03:55 - Sunrise
I would also say that the phenomena is influenced by the closeness of the sea. More water, more evaporation, more water vapor in the atmosphere, more refraction.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:38 AM   #25960
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Just back from an overnight stay at Mom's, where my wireless doesn't work. Did you have fun without me? :-) (I haven't read back yet...)

Nice game, soccer: you can take a nap in the middle of a match and not miss anything.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways