daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:46 AM   #25941
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,532
Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I think the sea doesn't freeze extensively due to the the last spur of the gulf stream: I'm pretty sure bears are resident there.
So theoretically the bears could be sterilized so in couple decades there are no more bears threatening the human population...
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2014, 05:49 AM   #25942
Jasper90
Unità
 
Jasper90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Amsterdam/Venezia
Posts: 8,978
Likes (Received): 12128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
So theoretically the bears could be sterilized so in couple decades there are no more bears threatening the human population...
OMG no, not again!!!
__________________
Venice | The city explained by a Venetian

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

bozenBDJ, Verso liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:41 AM   #25943
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post

How did you know that? She looks like a Polish girl forced to beg on street by Irish travelers, doesn't she?
He doesn't. He thinks all beggars are gypsies. And he films them. Quite sick really...

How come that the discussions on here always lead to gypsies anyway?
__________________

Jasper90 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:20 AM   #25944
piotr71
Registered User
 
piotr71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beskidy
Posts: 4,300

Just too many East Europeans here. And maybe some of them are even undercover Gypsies ... looking for a prey.
__________________

Skyline_ liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:20 AM   #25945
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,231
Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
He doesn't. He thinks all beggars are gypsies. And he films them. Quite sick really...

How come that the discussions on here always lead to gypsies anyway?
Not always:-) we could have discussed soccer and fahrenheit issues as well.

Btw. Theoretically, after today, we are leading back to winter
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:28 AM   #25946
piotr71
Registered User
 
piotr71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beskidy
Posts: 4,300

Beginning of a wedding party on the largest car park in the world :)

__________________

Kanadzie liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:42 AM   #25947
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,231
Likes (Received): 1748

This FIFA WC is a bulldump. Who has apointed those refrees? Poor Bosnia:-(
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO


nbcee liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:51 AM   #25948
Attus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rheinbach
Posts: 2,766
Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
This FIFA WC is a bulldump. Who has apointed those refrees? Poor Bosnia:-(
The vast majority of the games is decided by wrong decisions of referees. Yesterday we saw three games: the referee did not call penalty for Iran although he must have done it, and another referee cancelled Bosnian score although it was definitely not offside. 2 serious mistakes in three games. And it happens almost every day.
It's quite ridiculous.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:00 PM   #25949
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

Referees are humans as well. Perhaps there should be an option to appeal to a maximum number of dubious decisions by a referee.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:42 PM   #25950
JackFrost
Hun Solo
 
JackFrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sopron/Wien
Posts: 4,278
Likes (Received): 11824

still, at least when the mistakes are obvious, they should reset the score. Mistakes like this we saw yesterday are inacceptable on this level. I mean, all the effort, work and money for nothing, just because the referee made a mistake...
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:45 PM   #25951
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,532
Likes (Received): 21239

Or use technology for situations that can be objectively measured, like goal-line technology (in use), off-side positioning (potential), balls out-of-bounds (very easy to implement, just a variation of goal-line).
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:11 PM   #25952
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,231
Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
still, at least when the mistakes are obvious, they should reset the score. Mistakes like this we saw yesterday are inacceptable on this level. I mean, all the effort, work and money for nothing, just because the referee made a mistake...
I've seen Bosnia tomorrow. They performance got very low after that disputable situation. Nigeria played very well anyways.
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:24 PM   #25953
Alex_ZR
Registered User
 
Alex_ZR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zrenjanin
Posts: 2,903
Likes (Received): 4003

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I've seen Bosnia tomorrow. They performance got very low after that disputable situation. Nigeria played very well anyways.
You mean "yesterday"?
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:33 PM   #25954
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,231
Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
You mean "yesterday"?
Sure:-)
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:43 PM   #25955
Skyline_
Registered User
 
Skyline_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Macedonia, Greece
Posts: 2,322
Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Impressive.
One of my coworkers is in Svalbard now with midnight sun and all.
The midnight sun is marvellous and outlandish! Can't wait to get back to Svalbard, even buy a house for summer holiday!
__________________
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:13 PM   #25956
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,801
Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Here in Southern Netherlands, for 35 days around the summer solstice it doesn't get completely dark at night. I don't know the exact astronomical explanation, but it is something like at this latitude, during these weeks, there is enough refraction on the atmosphere to prevent total darkness. The effect is not that strong, but noticeable for the attentive eye used to look up to the sky.

At Frankfurt latitude, though, this doesn't happen.
That is more an atmospheric phenomena than an astronomical one. And it depends on how you define the word "dark". :-)

The basic reason why there is such a thing as a twilight is that the atmosphere reflects the light of the Sun even when the Sun is below the horizon. The following way to define three degrees of twilight in a formal way is in a widespread use:

- Civil twilight occurs when the center of the Sun is up to 6 degrees below the horizon: One can rather well read and work without artificial light.

- Nautical twilight occurs when the center of the sun is 6-12 degrees below the horizon: The horizon is still visible at sea, and the brightest stars appear. Thus, the measurements by a sextant are possible.

- Astronomical twilight occurs when the center of the Sun is 12-18 degrees below the horizon: For most people, this period is dark, but for the astronomers not because all the stars are not yet visible.

The altitude (not corrected for refraction) of the center of the Sun at the solar midnight on the northern hemisphere is calculated as following:

Altitude = Latitude+Declination-90

The declination of the Sun varies roughly between -23.4 and +23.4 degrees during the year. In theory, the midnight Sun on the day of the summer solstice is visible between the latitude 66.6 (Arctic Circle) and the North Pole. However, the impact of refraction and the apparent size of the Sun is about 50 arc minutes, and the midnight Sun is visible as south as on the latitude 65.7 degrees.

On the same day, the civil twilight lasts all night long on the latitudes 60.6-65.7. Respectively, the solar midnight occurs at the nautical twilight on the latitudes 54.6-60.6, and at the astronomical twilight on the latitudes 48.6-54.6.

For example, the following are the hours of the Sun's movement visible in Helsinki this night (local time):

22:49 - Sunset
00:40 - End of civil twilight, nautical twilight begins
01:22 - Solar midnight
02:04 - End of nautical twilight, civil twilight begins
03:55 - Sunrise
__________________

Suburbanist liked this post
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #25957
Kanadzie
Registered User
 
Kanadzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,374
Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A typical trap in English language

Another frequent mistake is "payed" (when they mean paid).

Once I saw someone posting about a "knot-point". That is a very literal translation of Dutch "knooppunt" (interchange).
Ik niet spreek nederlands but I really really like the word "knooppunt", it feels more like it is than "interchange"...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM   #25958
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,491
Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

So theoretically the bears could be sterilized so in couple decades there are no more bears threatening the human population...
Go tell the WWF.

By the way, greetings from construction sites-ridden Karlsruhe!
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:33 AM   #25959
Surel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702
Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
That is more an atmospheric phenomena than an astronomical one. And it depends on how you define the word "dark". :-)

The basic reason why there is such a thing as a twilight is that the atmosphere reflects the light of the Sun even when the Sun is below the horizon. The following way to define three degrees of twilight in a formal way is in a widespread use:

- Civil twilight occurs when the center of the Sun is up to 6 degrees below the horizon: One can rather well read and work without artificial light.

- Nautical twilight occurs when the center of the sun is 6-12 degrees below the horizon: The horizon is still visible at sea, and the brightest stars appear. Thus, the measurements by a sextant are possible.

- Astronomical twilight occurs when the center of the Sun is 12-18 degrees below the horizon: For most people, this period is dark, but for the astronomers not because all the stars are not yet visible.

The altitude (not corrected for refraction) of the center of the Sun at the solar midnight on the northern hemisphere is calculated as following:

Altitude = Latitude+Declination-90

The declination of the Sun varies roughly between -23.4 and +23.4 degrees during the year. In theory, the midnight Sun on the day of the summer solstice is visible between the latitude 66.6 (Arctic Circle) and the North Pole. However, the impact of refraction and the apparent size of the Sun is about 50 arc minutes, and the midnight Sun is visible as south as on the latitude 65.7 degrees.

On the same day, the civil twilight lasts all night long on the latitudes 60.6-65.7. Respectively, the solar midnight occurs at the nautical twilight on the latitudes 54.6-60.6, and at the astronomical twilight on the latitudes 48.6-54.6.

For example, the following are the hours of the Sun's movement visible in Helsinki this night (local time):

22:49 - Sunset
00:40 - End of civil twilight, nautical twilight begins
01:22 - Solar midnight
02:04 - End of nautical twilight, civil twilight begins
03:55 - Sunrise
I would also say that the phenomena is influenced by the closeness of the sea. More water, more evaporation, more water vapor in the atmosphere, more refraction.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:38 AM   #25960
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Just back from an overnight stay at Mom's, where my wireless doesn't work. Did you have fun without me? :-) (I haven't read back yet...)

Nice game, soccer: you can take a nap in the middle of a match and not miss anything.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium