daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #26041
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
They say that the king is the only true Belgian. If that is the case, if he were to attend a match in Brazil to support his team, in which language would he sing along with the national anthem? I wouldn't bother turning up. I can only imagine it ending up in (another) major embarrassment!
does spanish king sing their anthem?

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #26042
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I do like a good national anthem, actually. Had the Russian one stuck in my head for a couple of days last week because the tune's nice....
There was a rock version on youtube few years ago. I can't find it right now. But it was indeed good despite my disfavour towards Russian policy.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #26043
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I always had a deep interest in Russia and Russians. Until I got involved and married my Russian wife, to who I'm not talking anymore.

(Hello dear, I know you're still watching me)

piotr71 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #26044
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Oy.*

Vacation over? We're hearing a lot from you this evening....

*I mean the East Coast faux-Yiddish "oy," not the British one.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #26045
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

Road for motorized traffic only: it bans non-motorized traffic.
No, this sign informs you about the specific rules valid after passing it. Like the maximum/minimum speed limit restriction (130 kmh/80 kmh), driving on the rightmost lane, etc.

Quote:
Pedestrian crossing: it mandates drivers to stop or slow down if there are pedestrians.
False, it informs you about the pedestrian crossing. Except intersection, this sign is preceded by this one, which warns you about the pedestrian crossing ahead:

Quote:
One-way road: it forbids drivers to make an U-turn

This also only informs you about the one-way road. Because it is not dangerous to not knowing you are in the right direction of the one-way road. Dangerous is to be in the wrong direction of the one-way road. Therefore there is always this prohibitory sign posted on the other side:

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #26046
Road_UK
BANNED

Nearly over. Just got back from France. In the Netherlands now staying at my 88-year old nan's. I installed internet, which is great. Gives me something to do. Going back to Austria in a few days...

Edit: Michael this post was for you. This is exactly why I never use arrows to reply!
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #26047
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Talknig about anthems, the UK will need to change it when they will have a king instead of a queen.
And the Russian anthem has the same music, but different words, to the old Soviet one.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #26048
Road_UK
BANNED

The UK anthem has always been the same. God save the King, God save the Queen. If a monarch would ever decide to have a sex-change, then the fate of the current anthem might be at risk...
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #26049
piotr71

If it comes to the UK...

...will we witness a rise of a new state soon?

"Hay can do it, if Scotland can"

Road_UK liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #26050
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Hay-on-Wye, I take it?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #26051
italystf

This sign in Italy just tell you're entering a road (other than a motorway or expressway, they have specific signs) that is reserved to motorized traffic. It doesn't say nothing about the speed limit, that can't be higher than 90, since it isn't neither a motorway, nor an expressway. So, it acts also as prescription sign, like the ones below:

In other countries, like Slovenia, it indicates a specific type of road, and thus a general speed limit.

This one it's the only vertical sign present in most pedestrian crossings in Italy.

This one, instead, is located before a pedestrian crossing. It's rarely used in Italy, mostly on fast roads outside built-up areas. So, the first one is the real pedestrian crossing sign.

Those don't indicate a danger or a mandatory direction, but implicitally, forbide you to do something (an U-turn), so they aren't mere indication signs like a sign pointing to Rome or to the railway station, that doesn't mandate anything.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #26052
piotr71

Yup!

The quoted words can be found over the griffin in the right top corner.

Last edited by piotr71; June 25th, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #26053
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
If it comes to the UK...

...will we witness a rise of a new state soon?

"Hay can do it, if Scotland can"

They're never going to vote in favour. But it's nice to dream if you're a nationalist.
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #26054
volodaaaa

Quote:

This sign in Italy just tell you're entering a road (other than a motorway or expressway, they have specific signs) that is reserved to motorized traffic. It doesn't say nothing about the speed limit, that can't be higher than 90, since it isn't neither a motorway, nor an expressway. So, it acts also as prescription sign, like the ones below
You are telling me, you don't have expresways in Italy? And of course, every sign has some additional meaning.

You can tell that this warning sign

is also prohibitory, because it prohibits you to drive fast to crash

Old June 25th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #26055
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:

This sign in Italy just tell you're entering a road (other than a motorway or expressway, they have specific signs) that is reserved to motorized traffic. It doesn't say nothing about the speed limit, that can't be higher than 90, since it isn't neither a motorway, nor an expressway. So, it acts also as prescription sign
You are right, if you see this sign " road reserved for motorized vehicles" in Slovenia speed limit is 110 Km/h.

Here is an example (until ~4:23 min look at the sign)

Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #26056
Road_UK
BANNED

In Austria these roads are meant for communist classics only:

Old June 25th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #26057
volodaaaa

Yesterday my SO asked me, what does that lemon mean:

Old June 25th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #26058
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
You are telling me, you don't have expresways in Italy? And of course, every sign has some additional meaning.
Yes, we use this sign for expressways (strade extraurbane principali):

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
You can tell that this warning sign

is also prohibitory, because it prohibits you to drive fast to crash
The curve sign doesn't mandate a specific speed limit, just tell you to be alert, and thus moderate your speed.
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #26059
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
You are right, if you see this sign " road reserved for motorized vehicles" in Slovenia speed limit is 110 Km/h.

Here is an example (until ~4:23 min look at the sign)

This in Slovenia

is this in Italy

Broccolli liked this post
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #26060
volodaaaa

Quote:
Yes, we use this sign for expressways (strade extraurbane principali):

The curve sign doesn't mandate a specific speed limit, just tell you to be alert, and thus moderate your speed.
basically, it mandate me to moderate my speed

We use these signs

The first one is an expressway and the second one is motorway. Both roads have lot of things common:
- Maximum speed limit is 130 kph
- Minimum speed limit is 80 kph (according to the registration certificate)
- Bicycles, tractors and pedestrians are not allowed
- Rightmost lane is designated to regular drive

The only differences are that the first category
- can have intersections, the latter one only exits and interchanges
- can have sharp curves and steeper sections
- can have more narrow lanes.

Tags
highways, motorways