daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #26141
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Talking of the Cup and biting... Biting, really? And the guy doesn't get banned? In the NBA (North American professional basketball) they stop play if anyone gets so much as a small cut until he can cover it up. Any risk of blood exposure....
No risk, no fun. You now know what G. looks like. There's no escaping, there's no hiding. Yesterday's tomorrow is today. Show us what you got!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #26142
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I have no photos on this computer or (that I know of....) on line* and I don't play with Photobucket until I've had caffeine.

*Except for the one mentioned yesterday of me at a work thing at the ballpark. Which I really don't like. I look glum.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #26143
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
I have no photos on this computer or (that I know of....) on line* and I don't play with Photobucket until I've had caffeine.

*Except for the one mentioned yesterday of me at a work thing at the ballpark. Which I really don't like. I look glum.
Nothing out of ordinary.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #26144
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Chris,let's see you !
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #26145
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nothing out of ordinary.
:-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #26146
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Metrologist, but involved in a project with meteorologists as well.
The Conformity Project, I know....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #26147
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Mug shot has been taken; don't have the file yet, and when I do I'm going to have to do something about that gut.

To tide you all over, yours truly about 1968:

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

piotr71, cinxxx, Road_UK liked this post
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #26148
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
The Conformity Project, I know....
Yeah, but this time it's not about units, but about uncertainties... we would like all climatic stations in the world operated in the same way, so we can compare apples with apples and not with oranges. I found the meteorological community oddly uninterested, they just look in their small backyard and care little about the rest.
By the way, don't take global warming for certain: I saw their satellite temperature maps over Africa, with uncertainties up to 7 (SEVEN) degrees... and was there to propose to cut down their errors to 0.05 degrees
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #26149
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Yeah, but this time it's not about units, but about uncertainties... we would like all climatic stations in the world operated in the same way, so we can compare apples with apples and not with oranges. I found the meteorological community oddly uninterested, they just look in their small backyard and care little about the rest.
By the way, don't take global warming for certain: I saw their satellite temperature maps over Africa, with uncertainties up to 7 (SEVEN) degrees... and was there to propose to cut down their errors to 0.05 degrees
What is the satellite actually able to measure? Temperature of the surface or of the atmosphere? Why is it having so high uncertainty?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #26150
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
What is the satellite actually able to measure? Temperature of the surface or of the atmosphere? Why is it having so high uncertainty?
It depends on the wavelength. Some bands of IR are for surface temperature (but they get absorbed by clouds so they're subject to gaps in data coverage), some others for atmospheric, microwave is for temperature of the soil at some depth (a couple of meters if I remember correctly).

From what I understand the main problem is the emissivity of ground they use to correct the blackbody radiation they get from measurements: the emissivity changes as the ground changes, not only from site to site but also with time (crops getting harvested, soil moisture, tree coverage etc.)
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #26151
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Talking of the Cup and biting... Biting, really? And the guy doesn't get banned? In the NBA (North American professional basketball) they stop play if anyone gets so much as a small cut until he can cover it up. Any risk of blood exposure....
You aren't allowed to have blood on your shirt or on yourself either in football (soccer for you ). You have to go off the field to stop the bleeding and/or change shirts.
Meh, there are sports where some murderers don't even get banned... But I certainly wouldn't mind Suarez getting banned.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #26152
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Glad to hear it.

From CNN an hour or so ago:

"Heavy rains in Recife, Brazil, the location of today's World Cup match between the U.S. and Germany, has caused extensive flooding, turning roads into rivers and making access to the stadium difficult.

"FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, just announced that the U.S. game will be played as scheduled at noon ET.

"FIFA also announced that Luis Suarez, Uruguay's star striker, has been suspended for the rest of the World Cup tournament for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during the game between the two soccer powers on Tuesday. He is suspended for a total of nine matches and is banned from any kind of soccer-related activity for four months."

PS: Our IT department, at the request of one of our vice presidents, has set up a TV in one of the meeting rooms for the US/Germany match. We are welcome to take our lunch hours there, but only an hour please.

PPS to Road, I still don't have that file yet. Have a schnapps or jenever or something and chill. Or a nice cuppa.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #26153
Surel

Quote:
From what I understand the main problem is the emissivity of ground they use to correct the blackbody radiation they get from measurements: the emissivity changes as the ground changes, not only from site to site but also with time (crops getting harvested, soil moisture, tree coverage etc.)
Why do they need to correct the measurements? I would think that over the long time span it doesn't matter that much. I would think that they would not so much be interested in the absolute precise measurement of the temperature, but in measurement of the changes in the temperature. Those should be more interesting, shouldn't they?

Regular, seasonal, changes should not matter at all - i.e. crops. And the long lasting, or irregular, changes as e.g. tree coverage, or soil moisture, should actually be part of the whole picture and should not get corrected.

If the soil moisture has a long lasting effect on the temperature, it is part of the changes that I would be interested in. Getting correction for it actually look like tampering the data. The same holds about vegetation. If the vegetation changes over the years and in effect this changes the temperature of the environment, this should be included in the measurement I would say.

Or do you mean that because e.g. different vegetation, they are not able to get the measurements of the atmospheric temperature right? Then the corrections would make sense, but indeed would make the satellite data highly untrustworthy without doing control measurements on the ground.
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #26154
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I still think it's probably prudent for us as a planet to assume that global warming is happening, or may, and that changing our ways in certain ways may be useful to mitigate or prevent it.

Ahem. Sorry. End soapbox mode. GO USA!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #26155
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Elderly couple posing for picture after their car flipped. Wife still trapped inside...

Autoputevi kao hobi, Verso, piotr71 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #26156
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Most peculiar.

----------

Okay, Belgians: It looks as if you're likely to be our next opponent. You do understand I can't root for you in that one.... [snif]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #26157
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Elderly couple posing for picture after their car flipped. Wife still trapped inside...

OMG !!
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #26158
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Or do you mean that because e.g. different vegetation, they are not able to get the measurements of the atmospheric temperature right? Then the corrections would make sense, but indeed would make the satellite data highly untrustworthy without doing control measurements on the ground.
Exactly. There are a number of ground validation stations, too few in my opinion and with calibration procedures not so transparent and accurate.

Data needs to be corrected because the different behaviour of different components of the ground. Surface temperature is defined at circa 2 m above ground, but how can you measure it from satellite inside the pluvial forest? Even fields of corn can alter the correct reading of air temperature near the ground.
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #26159
Surel

Quote:
Exactly. There are a number of ground validation stations, too few in my opinion and with calibration procedures not so transparent and accurate.

Data needs to be corrected because the different behaviour of different components of the ground. Surface temperature is defined at circa 2 m above ground, but how can you measure it from satellite inside the pluvial forest? Even fields of corn can alter the correct reading of air temperature near the ground.
OK, it is clear now.

I meant also this. If I am interested in the long term changes of the temperatures I don't need to know the size of the error if I know that the error keeps the same over time. It is more precise to measure with the error while keeping the same error than to try to correct for the error, but not being able to correct consistently.
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #26160
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:

OK, it is clear now.

I meant also this. If I am interested in the long term changes of the temperatures I don't need to know the size of the error if I know that the error keeps the same over time. It is more precise to measure with the error while keeping the same error than to try to correct for the error, but not being able to correct consistently.
No. Today you measure a temperature of 30 degrees with an error of 5 degrees. That means that you have 95% probability that the true temperature is between 27.5 and 32.5. Tomorrow you measure 31 with the same error. You can't really say that the temperature has risen: what if the true temperature of today was 31 and that of tomorrow is 30?

Tags
highways, motorways