daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #26241
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Why isn't "sudden death" an option? Perhaps after a full 15-minute overtime period or two. Since scoring is so difficult (hence the problem), ending the game when the first team scores seems as reasonable and fair a way as any.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #26242
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Why isn't "sudden death" an option? Perhaps after a full 15-minute overtime period or two. Since scoring is so difficult (hence the problem), ending the game when the first team scores seems as reasonable and fair a way as any.
Scoring is difficult. If a match ends in 0-0 after 120 minutes, maybe there's a reason. You can't simply go on for hours until one scores - something that may very well not happen.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #26243
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

[Damn. Had a nice reply drafted and lost it.]

Surely, eventually, someone would score. You're the statistician (apparently): do the odds of a game remaining scoreless decrease over time?

Baseball games routinely go into "extra innings" (if they're tied). And Major League teams play 162 games a year, through the summer, in places like... well, any place in North America that has a Major League baseball team can get hot in the summer, really. The major difference, and I understand it's major, is that baseball has built-in rest periods and much less running around.

Now I had a ridiculous idea about just resuming the next day, like they (apparently) do in cricket....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #26244
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12131

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
So, dear Italians, explain to me:
How is it possible that it is not possible to get warm meal about 3 hours in the afternoon even in very tourist places like Dolomites?
I was almost shocked that it was not possible to get something to eat (except some sandwiches) on Tre Cime between 2:30 and 6 PM - when you make a pretty long and physically demanding bicycle ride just to find out that in rifugio (actually more like hotel) they still have 19th century restaurant timetables despite loads of tourists with buses, cars, motors and bicycles arriving every minute. Of course souvenir stand was operating without interruption.

And not only that on Saturday it was impossible to find even ONE restaurant or pizzeria that would serve warm meals outside those fixed timeframes in 100 km circle. Not only in small villages (which would be reasonable) but also in larger and really tourist towns. I find that really awkward in 21st century.

You really should import more people from Balkans as they will at least teach you that people could be hungry even outside of those ridiculously fixed timeframes for colazione, pranzo and cena.
I'm sorry for your experience
We have a lot to do to improve our services for tourists. What happened to you is probably one of the main reasons why Spain has 1.5 times as many tourists as Italy. Things are quickly improving

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #26245
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
[Damn. Had a nice reply drafted and lost it.]

Surely, eventually, someone would score. You're the statistician (apparently): do the odds of a game remaining scoreless decrease over time?
I am no statistician. But I imagine that, the more tired the players are, the more difficult a goal becomes.

Quote:
Baseball games routinely go into "extra innings" (if they're tied). And Major League teams play 162 games a year, through the summer, in places like... well, any place in North America that has a Major League baseball team can get hot in the summer, really. The major difference, and I understand it's major, is that baseball has built-in rest periods and much less running around.
Scoring in baseball, or any other American sport, is easier than in soccer.

Quote:
Now I had a ridiculous idea about just resuming the next day, like they (apparently) do in cricket....
They used to do that is soccer, too, back in the Thirties or so...
... and cricket isn't really a sport.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #26246
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A main complaint of Dutch tourists who go to campsites is the poor price/quality ratio. Italy is seen as one of the most expensive countries to go camping.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Jasper90 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #26247
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A main complaint of Dutch tourists who go to campsites is the poor price/quality ratio. Italy is seen as one of the most expensive countries to go camping.
But Italian autocamps cars are all over Europe

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #26248
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Surely, eventually, someone would score.
someone would score, but after 120' the match would become unwatchable. players are extremely exhausted after those 120', and imagine football equivalent of this. who would watch it?
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #26249
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
In Italy one must stick to autorized campings, since it's illegal to plant a tent in open spaces like mountains, beaches, fields,... (there are some exceptions for alpinists or groups like the Scouts who get permits from Guardia Forestale to camp during hiking expeditions that last more than a day). This make impossible to do cheap hippy-style adventures.
However, sleeping in your vehicle is not illegal, as long as it's parked where overnight parking is allowed.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #26250
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
someone would score, but after 120' the match would become unwatchable. players are extremely exhausted after those 120', and imagine football equivalent of this. who would watch it?
Moreover, many spectators may have to go to sleep or have planned to do something else after the match, or booked a plane, train or bus to return home from the stadium. Tired players can be replaced, every team has far more than 11 of them.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #26251
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
They're unwatchable anyway....

, but seriously, I'm finding during this Cup that if you start at about minute 75 you don't miss anything important.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #26252
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
but seriously, I'm finding during this Cup that if you start at about minute 75 you don't miss anything important.
i have always been finding the same thing for basketball matches i mean, the results would always be 80-78, 77-76 or similar, although one of the teams would have +15 at the end of 3/4
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #26253
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In Italy one must stick to autorized campings, since it's illegal to plant a tent in open spaces like mountains, beaches, fields,... (there are some exceptions for alpinists or groups like the Scouts who get permits from Guardia Forestale to camp during hiking expeditions that last more than a day). This make impossible to do cheap hippy-style adventures.
That is illegal in most European countries. However, official campsites in Italy are generally much more expensive than in Germany or France. Some are very luxurious indeed, but not all of them are.

I was surprised by the low prices of campsites in Scandinavia. I expected having to pay about € 25 per night, after reading that most campsites charge for a pitch, instead of a breakdown per person / equipment. However, I only paid € 25 once in Sweden, the rest was all in the € 12-18 per night range, most of them with free wifi and free showers too.
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #26254
italystf

I think that in very touristic places (beach and mountain resorts) campsites prices follow prices of other accomodations and never get that cheap. Probably in some villages outside the most beaten paths there are campsites where you can get away with less, but you will be far away from main touristic attractions, although we have many unknown villages that are interesting to visit and offer opportunities for hiking in beautiful landscapes.
In Scandinavia it's different: due to different geography and climate there aren't beaches and mountain resorts where people from all over Europe spend a week-long summer holiday (one exception are Norweigian mountain resorts). Tourism there is different, people visit cities and other interesting places like islands and fjords but don't stay for long in the same place.
There is not the "cool factor" that keeps prices high in well-known touristic places like Cortina, Sestriere, Courmayeur, Rimini, Viareggio, Jesolo, Capri, Taormina,...
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #26255
piotr71

Quote:
That is illegal in most European countries. However, official campsites in Italy are generally much more expensive than in Germany or France. Some are very luxurious indeed, but not all of them are.

I was surprised by the low prices of campsites in Scandinavia. I expected having to pay about € 25 per night, after reading that most campsites charge for a pitch, instead of a breakdown per person / equipment. However, I only paid € 25 once in Sweden, the rest was all in the € 12-18 per night range, most of them with free wifi and free showers too.
Scandinavian campsites are also equipped with usable kitchen, which is not so obvious in another European countries.
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #26256
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In Italy one must stick to autorized campings, since it's illegal to plant a tent in open spaces like mountains, beaches, fields,...
I've always considered that fascist (excuse my hard wording). I mean, why is it anyone's business if I place my tent in the middle of nowhere?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #26257
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Scandinavian campsites are also equipped with usable kitchen, which is not so obvious in another European countries.
I noticed that too. Practically every campsite had that. Nearly all campsites also offered little chalets (hytter / stugor) which are a good alternative to the outrageously expensive hotels.
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #26258
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Nearly all campsites also offered little chalets (hytter / stugor) which are a good alternative to the outrageously expensive hotels.
this is becoming very common in Croatian camps too. and those things are expensive as hell, mostly 130-170€ for night. although they are cute, it is not part of camping imo.
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #26259
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've always considered that fascist (excuse my hard wording). I mean, why is it anyone's business if I place my tent in the middle of nowhere?
It's not just in Italy. It's all over Europe. Probably to prevent Gypsies camping in people's backyard?

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #26260
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Duplicate.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways