daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #26261
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I noticed that too. Practically every campsite had that. Nearly all campsites also offered little chalets (hytter / stugor) which are a good alternative to the outrageously expensive hotels.

Campsite in Normandy, France where I was two weeks ago. Parents in the caravan, and me and my two brothers, sister and her husband in a bungalow..

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #26262
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's not just in Italy. It's all over Europe. Probably to prevent Gypsies camping in people's backyard?
I know, it's illegal in Slovenia as well. I wouldn't like Gypsies (or anyone else for that matter) to camp in front of my house, but placing a tent somewhere in the mountains is not a big deal.

Road_UK liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #26263
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I know, it's illegal in Slovenia as well. I wouldn't like Gypsies (or anyone else for that matter) to camp in front of my house, but placing a tent somewhere in the mountains is not a big deal.
Environmental issues. Possible disturbances to wildlife...

Verso liked this post
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #26264
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Hygienic issues also, since you don't have any toilet and running water available.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #26265
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There is not the "cool factor" that keeps prices high in well-known touristic places like Cortina, Sestriere, Courmayeur, Rimini, Viareggio, Jesolo, Capri, Taormina,...
I camped in Cortina and Taormina and both camps of good quality were cheaper than camps in Slovenia or Croatia.

I still don't understand that there is not even one restaurant in whole very tourist area to offer warm meals regardless of time of the day. That is something unimaginable here.

Why I am pissed off? Imagine cycling over two or three mountain passes (very popular and common thing in Dolomite), burning 2000 or more calories and then you come to a restaurant offering you just toast because "kitchen does not work until evening". C'mon, that is really lame. Does the cook need to sleep or what? Then you see tourists (mainly foreign) driving around Cortina, Toblach, Corvara, Canazei, Val Gardena to find anything open, or sitting on a drink until his/her majesty The Cook allows them to order proper food. Despite prices a guest often does not seem to be the king.
That is not just Sudtirol, similar happened to me also elsewhere in west and south, once even on Autogrill on A4.

In first case we had to cycle back home for additional two hours to get food, in second case we drove also two hours until near Austrian border so that we found restaurant that opened "already" at 17:00 - at least it was really nice with good food and not very expensive - for Italy.

Jasper90 liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #26266
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

But don't worry, for me Italy still has the best looking nature in Europe, I just need to adjust to those pesky 19th century traditions that don't want to die off.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #26267
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
But don't worry, for me Italy still has the best looking nature in Europe, I just need to adjust to those pesky 19th century traditions that don't want to die off.
Yes, however from this point of view we did great improvements in the last 20 years, especially in cities. Now there is more freedom about opening hours so there are fast foods open till late at night, shopping centres opened on sundays and festivities, some supermarkets open till 9 p.m.,... However small mountain villages are less organized and family-run small businesses can't work all day long.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Jasper90 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #26268
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

top of the tops...

JackFrost, Airman Kris™, Surel liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:10 AM   #26269
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Self-punch.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 01:15 AM   #26270
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I camped in Cortina and Taormina and both camps of good quality were cheaper than camps in Slovenia or Croatia.

I still don't understand that there is not even one restaurant in whole very tourist area to offer warm meals regardless of time of the day. That is something unimaginable here.

Why I am pissed off? Imagine cycling over two or three mountain passes (very popular and common thing in Dolomite), burning 2000 or more calories and then you come to a restaurant offering you just toast because "kitchen does not work until evening". C'mon, that is really lame. Does the cook need to sleep or what? Then you see tourists (mainly foreign) driving around Cortina, Toblach, Corvara, Canazei, Val Gardena to find anything open, or sitting on a drink until his/her majesty The Cook allows them to order proper food. Despite prices a guest often does not seem to be the king.
That is not just Sudtirol, similar happened to me also elsewhere in west and south, once even on Autogrill on A4.

In first case we had to cycle back home for additional two hours to get food, in second case we drove also two hours until near Austrian border so that we found restaurant that opened "already" at 17:00 - at least it was really nice with good food and not very expensive - for Italy.
Die-hard hikers and mountain bikers bring their own food make their own fire....

But seriously, I hike a lot on the mountains - the ones with no huts at all - and always bring panini, sandwiches, water, juice and energy bars so I have to rely on no one but myself.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:27 AM   #26271
Road_UK
BANNED

And the helicopter

Airman Kris™ liked this post
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:49 AM   #26272
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Campsite in Normandy, France where I was two weeks ago. Parents in the caravan, and me and my two brothers, sister and her husband in a bungalow..

Is this a private or public campsite ? I would guess private by looking at the picture - Absolutely perfect beach spot!
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:54 AM   #26273
Road_UK
BANNED

Private indeed. One of the most beautiful campsites I've been. Secluded spots for camping as well as little bungalows. It has an indoor swimming pool and a lovely restaurant.

www.anse-du-brick.com

Airman Kris™ liked this post
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:30 AM   #26274
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Self-punch.
Selfie before it was cool

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:17 PM   #26275
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Happy Canada Day, Eh?

...for those to whom it applies.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Kanadzie liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:49 PM   #26276
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4009

Interesting campaign of the Yugoslav Drama Theatre:

cinxxx liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:02 PM   #26277
keokiracer