daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:14 PM   #26341
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Or a four-way stop. Stop signs in the Netherlands are usually used for traffic calming purposes, it's rarely necessary to come to a full stop in order to safely cross another road or bicycle path.

For most people in the Netherlands, a STOP sign means 'proceed with caution', instead of 'come to a full stop at all times'. For example, pretty much nobody stops here if there are no cyclists coming.
Stopping on stop sign is considered very strictly in my country. Once you don't stop, you will pay fine. Remembering my visit in Greece. They have stop signs on motorway merging lanes Almost caused an accident when I saw it first.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:15 PM   #26342
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Just need one more person there - in the spot that's not currently occupied - and everyone could sit there yielding to the person to their right until the end of time. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:21 PM   #26343
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Just need one more person there - in the spot that's not currently occupied - and everyone could sit there yielding to the person to their right until the end of time. :-)
As my driving instructor used to say. In a lockdown like that, f you're the last to arrive: just drive on (with extra caution of course), if you stop you're only going to make things worse.
And if the 4th person actually stops, it basically comes down to who of the 4 has the biggest balls and just goes.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:28 PM   #26344
volodaaaa

Same here :-) But actually, I have never been in such situation...

Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:08 PM   #26345
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
As my driving instructor used to say. In a lockdown like that, f you're the last to arrive: just drive on (with extra caution of course), if you stop you're only going to make things worse.
And if the 4th person actually stops, it basically comes down to who of the 4 has the biggest balls and just goes.
Chinese/Italian style ...not possible in Slovenia though, because of the low driving culture of slovene drivers.
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:47 PM   #26346
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Same here :-) But actually, I have never been in such situation...
That's why we have yield and priority signs to use.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:09 PM   #26347
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

I'd love to see this in Europe. I believe there are similar signs in the UK (slow traffic use layby or something?)

Pull Over, Please by TranBC, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

x-type, Road_UK liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:13 PM   #26348
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
That's why we have yield and priority signs to use.
Or - as already suggested - traffic lights.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:17 PM   #26349
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
I'd love to see this in Europe. I believe there are similar signs in the UK (slow traffic use layby or something?)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3925/...bc73cdbf_c.jpg
that.
unfortunately, here even ban of overpassing for heavy vehicles between 7 and 19h on frequent motorways doesn't work
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #26350
volodaaaa

Quote:

It is mandatory in some European countries. However, seen this applied very rarely. The same goes for overtaking prohibition for 3,5t over vehicles on motorways.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:25 PM   #26351
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

The highest building in Slovenia...Crystal Palace (89m)

Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:28 PM   #26352
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

I wonder how many Germans and tractors would pull over in Mayrhofen when this regulation becomes mandatory in Austria.

I haven't seen anything like this in England, however, in Scotland there are lots of signs advising slow moving vehicles to allow faster traffic to overtake as delays causes aggression. (on single carriageways only)
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:49 PM   #26353
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:

I guess you first need a infrastructure that would allow safe pullouts. It could be doable on those N roads in NL where you see often a parking bay.

Also what about when the slow vehicle would pull out and then before it would get running again, it would have a train of five vehicles behind.

And how would you define slow on 80 km/h roads...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:54 PM   #26354
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Stopping on stop sign is considered very strictly in my country. Once you don't stop, you will pay fine. Remembering my visit in Greece. They have stop signs on motorway merging lanes Almost caused an accident when I saw it first.
Also in Italy, the stop sign is used only where you need to stop. In other places, this sign is used:
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:14 PM   #26355
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Same in Spain.

Speaking of signs, here is one I'd like to see :

Credit goes to Ga293 on AARoads forum
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Penn's Woods, AsHalt liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:37 AM   #26356
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

One thing UK drivers have a problem with when driving abroad is uncontrolled intersections. In the UK, one road is nearly always chosen to be the 'major' road, even if the two roads are both minor, so you don't have to worry about priority from the right.

Stop signs are rare in the UK. If you see a Stop sign then you know that the junction is particularly dangerous.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 01:13 AM   #26357
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
How would you solve this intersection in your country? (just want to find out whether the basic traffic rules are similar)
Here they would put a STOP sign on all 4 legs, and the one to stop first would go. Except nobody stops 100% as it is idiotic, normally passing instead at 15-20 km/h and sometimes, the police are waiting and hungry The ticket is the same as running a red light.

I've had that situation where two other drivers are too polite and want to let the other one go first. I usually come up and then floor the gas, chirp tires and go first, laughing maniacally

Penn's Woods, AsHalt liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:04 AM   #26358
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
How would you solve this intersection in your country? (just want to find out whether the basic traffic rules are similar)
The green car goes first, since it is to the right of the blue car.

Because the red car is turning left, it gives way to the blue car, which is traveling straight through the intersection.

After the blue car has cleared the intersection, the red car turns left, but only after the driver has checked to make sure it is safe to do so.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:38 AM   #26359
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
The typical deadlock situation where everyone has to yield. The bravest goes first.

AsHalt liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #26360
bogdymol
bogdymod

What I found weird in UK is that they do not have the yield sign before the roundabouts, but just the roundabout itself.

2 days ago I drove for the first time in UK for about 250 km and it was weird. Yesterday I drove again and today once more. I already got used to it and it's quite ok... I just have to be a little bit more careful. What I found quite hard to do is to park the car, as all the parking spaces are quite narrow and I'm not used with the car dimensions from the right seat.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways