daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #26561
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
What is your opinion about this situation? It is very common in Hungary.
Motorway, 3 lanes in your direction. Speed limit is 130 km/h. You drive exactly at that speed in the right (slow) lane. The right lane is empty as far as you can see.
Some cars drive 100-110 km/h in the middle lane. You drive on in the right lane 130 km/h, without changing lane or your speed.
It is legal? You overtake them in the right side which is basically strictly forbidden.
Overtaking on the inside is called undertaking and is indeed illegal in most countries. But so is lane hogging, which is unnecessary and lazy. I do a bit of undertaking myself sometimes because 1: I can't be bothered to switch two lanes, and 2: I'm trying to make a point that they should keep to the right unless overtaking at all times.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #26562
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Motorway, 3 lanes in your direction. Speed limit is 130 km/h. You drive exactly at that speed in the right (slow) lane. The right lane is empty as far as you can see.
Some cars drive 100-110 km/h in the middle lane. You drive on in the right lane 130 km/h, without changing lane or your speed.
It is legal? You overtake them in the right side which is basically strictly forbidden.
Yeah, the same situation is in Slovakia on D1 motorway between Bratislava and Trnava. There have been an interview with police chief on this issue.

He has told following: Overtaking in the right side is forbidden. But the crucial question is, whether straight drive without changing lanes is defined as overtaking.

The current situation is that police does not fine drivers who drive straight in right lane and overtake middle lane hoggers. Sometimes, when they have mood, they fine middle lane hoggers. Unfortunately it is pretty much rare.

However, I find it dangerous and overtake in the right very carefully. I really hate (HATE!!!) those middle lane hoggers. They makes dangerous situations and negate the nature of motorways. I think, they should be expelled from there.

Personally, when I'm in bad mood, I tailgate them sometimes and flash my high beams (do so called stroboscope)

If they are afraid of driving at motorways, they should not be there!

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #26563
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Tranvia Trieste-Opicina/Openski tramvaj / after two years in service again!

In Triestine dialect:
El tram de Opcina

E anche el tran de Opcina xe nato disgrazià
venindo zo de Scorcola una casa ga ribaltà
bona de Dio che iera giorno de lavor
e dentro no ghe iera che 'l povero frenador

In Slovenian:

Openski tramvaj že ob rojstvu ni imel sreče.
Ko se je spuščal po Škorklji, se je zaletel v hišo.
Hvala Bogu, da je bil delavnik in
v tramvaju ni bilo nikogar razen ubogega zavirača.

English translation:
And also Opicina tram was born unfortunate,
going down from Scorcola (an uphill Trieste suburb, ndr), it torn down a house,
thanks God it was a work day,
and inside there was only the poor conductor.

This tram was inaugurated in 1902 and, the first day of operation, derailled demolishing a house, hence the origin of that popular song in Trieste's dialect.
Currently it's the oldest tram in operation in the world.

Map of Trieste tram network in the early 1930s.
Most lines, except the "Tram de Opcina" marked in blue where shut down between 1935 and 1970 when they though it was better to replace them with buses. I think it was a great loss for the city.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Broccolli liked this post

Last edited by italystf; July 13th, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #26564
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

in Slovenia it is legal to overtake on the right if you are not exactly "overtaking". there must be two rows (3 or more cars) of cars driving at different constant speed on two paralel lanes, if the right one is faster than the left one, it's technically not overtaking and it is legal to be faster. I believe the same goes for Italy.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #26565
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Currently it's the oldest tram in operation in the world.
And one more interesting fact...this tram is actually amphibian, because on the steepest part of the course (uphill Scorcola/Škorklja) "transform itself" into a funicular
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #26566
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
in Slovenia it is legal to overtake on the right if you are not exactly "overtaking". there must be two rows (3 or more cars) of cars driving at different constant speed on two paralel lanes, if the right one is faster than the left one, it's technically not overtaking and it is legal to be faster. I believe the same goes for Italy.
Yes, it is. It's not overtaking if you don't change lane. If I'm driving 130 on the right lane and one is driving 110 on the left lane, it's his\her fault.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #26567
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
And one more interesting fact...this tram is actually amphibian, because on the steepest part of the course (uphill Scorcola/Škorklja) "transform itself" into a funicular
Trieste could now have a network of historical trams like Lisbona or San Francisco, with high touristic interest, if the local administration didn't care only about spending less money.
Back in the old days Trieste was also an important railway node, with connections with Italy and Central-Eastern Europe. Now trains run only towards Italy. The Opicina-Ljubljana service was recently restored by Slovenske Zeleznice, however Opicina railway station isn't reacheched by any Italian train since the discontinuation of the Venice-Ljubljana-Zagreb-Budapest euronight in 2011. The Italian part of the "Transalpina railway", between Campo Marzio and Opicina was closed in 1959 and it's only used occasionally by freight trains. Also the line to Istria was shut down after WWII and it's now a cycle route between Trieste and Kozina.
Now if one wants to travel by train between Lisbona and Teheran the only gap it's probably between Trieste railway station and Opicina.
Closing down local railway lines and urban streetcar systems in favour of buses had always been popular in Italy.
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #26568
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
In Serbia that is forbidden.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #26569
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, it is. It's not overtaking if you don't change lane. If I'm driving 130 on the right lane and one is driving 110 on the left lane, it's his\her fault.
Yes, but you still have to be very careful.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #26570
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
You can do that in Italy.
Source: http://www.poliziadistato.it/articol...e_o_quella_di/ (Italian only)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #26571
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

This is going nowhere, locked for moderation purposes.

Reopened, be nice.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods, Road_UK, Skyline_ liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #26572
Road_UK
BANNED

So.... The big game starts in a little over an hour. Who will be watching?
Old July 13th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #26573
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Not I.
It's nice out. (In fact, what am I doing on here now...?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #26574
Road_UK
BANNED

Relaxing. LOL
Old July 13th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #26575
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Being lazy. Checking news and e-mail. Being indecisive about what to have for lunch. Putting off errands and laundry. And the air conditioning feels good.

But I think I'll do that lunch now.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #26576
Road_UK
BANNED

Cool. I already had dinner, then shower and I'm already in my nighties. Watching the game from my bed, with tea and biscuits.
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #26577
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Merkel vs. Argentina. Whom should I support? Hmmmm.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #26578
Road_UK
BANNED

Um ok... I think I'll make myself scarce from this thread for a bit and let it run its natural cause without me.
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #26579
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I'll watch it.
And it will be the second world cup final for me today: afternoon I watched handball U20 WC final (South Korea won it).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #26580
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

I'm personally not interested in football at all, but my customer (a newspaper printing and delivery company) is. Due to time differences the match takes place in a time in which newspapers are normally printed in Finland, and as the readers may want to read about the match in the morning, this might delay my work tonight...

Tags
highways, motorways